First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    INFPs, in my observation, balk at the entire concept of MBTI more than anyone else I've seen. They tend to find the Te nature of putting people in boxes highly offensive to their Fi individuality.
    I see this propaganda repeated frequently, with little foundations in reality, and it makes no sense when you look at the facts.

If INFPs balk at the idea of MBTI, then why they are over-represented in MBTI communities, often one of the most populous types & likely to be among the most active members?

If they resisted identifying with a type, then this would not be so.

Plus, several of the most well known MBTI authors are INFPs, including Isabel Myers herself. INFPs, along with the other INxx types, seem most likely to explore the theory deeply.

I see INFPs as being very interested in typology & eager to type themselves because we're generally big on
    1) self-growth & self-understanding
    2) searching for identity to ease our sense of alienation (many INFPs express great relief upon discovering their type, not a feeling of being pigeon-holed)
    3) theories, especially ones that are connected to people, such as psychological theories
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Maybe healthy INFP's like the MBTI and unhealthy ones feel threatened by it. The only friendship I ever had that ended very poorly involved an INFP and ENFP who totally freaked out when I shared the concept of typology with them, accused me of trying to read their minds and completely dumped me from their lives. In retrospect, they were very unhealthy psychologically, but I have been afraid to talk to people about typology ever since.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    Maybe healthy INFP's like the MBTI and unhealthy ones feel threatened by it. The only friendship I ever had that ended very poorly involved an INFP and ENFP who totally freaked out when I shared the concept of typology with them, accused me of trying to read their minds and completely dumped me from their lives. In retrospect, they were very unhealthy psychologically, but I have been afraid to talk to people about typology ever since.
    Romantic interests?

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

INFPs, in my observation, balk at the entire concept of MBTI more than anyone else I've seen. They tend to find the Te nature of putting people in boxes highly offensive to their Fi individuality.

In fact, I think I may know an INFP dude IRL because he started FREAKING OUT last night when I had barely even explained Jungian types to him. My ESFJ guy friend was sitting there with me like "OMGZ LULZ WTF" because the possible-INFP started getting butthurt before he even understood what we were trying to tell him. It was very strange. I thought he might be INTP up until that point, but now I don't think so at all.

Other than that, it varies. I think Feelers may be more likely to get offended when someone else tells them they've misyped themselves.
    Pretty much what I wanted to say.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Those who look at MBTI and find it offensive tend to have a lack of understanding in dichotomies though it really is quite simple.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I see this propaganda repeated frequently, with little foundations in reality, and it makes no sense when you look at the facts.

If INFPs balk at the idea of MBTI, then why they are over-represented in MBTI communities, often one of the most populous types & likely to be among the most active members?

If they resisted identifying with a type, then this would not be so.

Plus, several of the most well known MBTI authors are INFPs, including Isabel Myers herself. INFPs, along with the other INxx types, seem most likely to explore the theory deeply.

I see INFPs as being very interested in typology & eager to type themselves because we're generally big on
    1) self-growth & self-understanding
    2) searching for identity to ease our sense of alienation (many INFPs express great relief upon discovering their type, not a feeling of being pigeon-holed)
    3) theories, especially ones that are connected to people, such as psychological theories
    It's because generally the loudest town cryers against MBTI on-line seem to always be INFPs.

So maybe they aren't the most likely to resist it, but when they do, they're very adamant about it?

The opening post sets up the false premise of either/or, where there's a third or more option(s). Individuals who don't like their type, as well as those who are looking for an exacting fit and a perfect solution for an imperfect set of parameters, will be the ones who reject MBTI. There's also the odd attention whore who rejects MBTI just to get a reaction.

MBTI
    IsFJ

It's because generally the loudest town cryers against MBTI on-line seem to always be INFPs.

So maybe they aren't the most likely to resist it, but when they do, they're very adamant about it?
    Perhaps because a lot of S types are more "apathetic" than "reluctant" towards the MBTI?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Perhaps because a lot of S types are more "apathetic" than "reluctant" towards the MBTI?
    No. What?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I wonder how much this has to do with the preacher, not the choir.