User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 15

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx
    Posts
    455

    Default How do you experience Fi? Am I doing it right? For Fi users.

    I am trying to develop my emotional awareness. I need to know if the experience I have is indeed what they call Fi or my mind if fooling me into believing it.

    I "allow" myself to feel feelings by not denying them. This is the hard part.

    After that though it feel too much like Ti. I start following the trail of feelings. Example:

    I talked to Bill and he made me angry. What did he say that made me angry? OK, that I did not produce the results I needed to. I feel anger when I think about this exactly. Why? I am afraid. (I feel it) Why? Because ... and so on.

    I can't say I have reached the "end" of any such wormhole. Nevertheless this feels exactly like Ti, just sensing the feelings, trusting them to be real is new. I don't trust that my feelings are telling me the real story, cause there must be a reason why Bill would make me feel anything, cause usually that's not the case thus it is obviously not Bill my feeling is all about. That's why I follow them.

    But from my observations I doubt this is really what Fi is.

    Can anybody correct the process I described or attempt to describe what Fi really feels like from the inside?

    What is worrying me is that i tend to think about the reasons why I have such feelings, where the feelings stem from, etc. That doesn't match with what I have observed in Fi users.

    I am very worried I am not understanding what Fi is.

  2. #2
    Senior Member FunnyDigestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Hmm... introverted feeling is concerned with value-- not necessarily in the moral sense but just good vs. bad, positive vs. negative... obviously there are no absolutes in this so always there is the awareness of existing on a spectrum... but as for the example you gave, I think an Fi user would either not bother asking those questions (at least not like discrete steps in a process of understanding) or as they're asking them they would simultaneously look at the worth of each question & then the worth of each answer, which would eventually create a compulsion to 'break off' the analysis & stop asking further questions, because you would feel like you'd finally holistically understood the situation / issue...

    For example with the initial anger to begin with there would be an immediate sense of it as being rational or irrational, good or bad, petty or worthwhile, etc-- just whether it made sense. Sometimes that might be the end of it-- after all, if the anger feels very righteous & deserved, you feel no big need to investigate it, while in the converse if it felt totally petty & stupid (on your part) you'd just want to ignore it & therefore ALSO not investigate it.

    But say you want to examine it further & you ask "What did he say that made me angry?", you'd have an attachment of value to that question-- you'd attach a degree of importance to answering it, i.e. whether the answer is necessary or only peripheral to your feeling, whether it could be something that potentially changes your anger or reduces it or only supports it further. Then the answer-- though a lot of times you feel the answers to these questions immediately, & would only go thru this examination process to lay out the details or explain it to yourself-- the answer (to "what made me angry?") would also generate a set of 'value concerns': if the thing the person said that made you angry is something they'd normally say, you'd attach some feeling of 'frivolous inevitability' to it, which would generalize the anger & make it less sharp / acute. Like, "that's just something [so-&-so] tends to say. What can I do about it?" However if the reason for your anger stood out as exceptional, the anger would feel more valuable, & you might want to build it up or investigate it further. etc.

    This weighing-value process is the reason you rarely see INFPs or ISFPs who like bickering or arguing about pointless stuff-- or even big stuff, the intellectual-debate type of stuff you find on forums all the time-- because it feels frivolous & an unworthwhile thing to be doing.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Thank you.

    The way you describe it, I believe I might be onto the right track. The idea behind emotional awareness is to know what things mean to me - what feelings do they evoke.

    The logical process I explained never questions the feeling or anything - just the association of that feeling with a particular event I night be tempted to just accept as the cause. I believe my logic is based on a feeling but I am using different words to explain it.

    Of course I might be terribly wrong
    Which is often the case with Ti

  4. #4
    Senior Member FunnyDigestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    I don't think you're wrong-- maybe you just feel like you need to have it exactly right. When so much of psychology is about guesswork. I personally dont think Fi & Ti are as different as people believe.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    I am very worried I am not understanding what Fi is.
    You are right.

    Not only do you not understand what Fi is but you don't understand what a rational vs irrational function is.

  6. #6
    my floof is luxury Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    I am trying to develop my emotional awareness. I need to know if the experience I have is indeed what they call Fi or my mind if fooling me into believing it.
    Fe permits emotional awareness as well. Why not just develop the feeling preference that comes to you more naturally. Not that I don't understand the impulse to become more like an ENTJ.

    What is worrying me is that i tend to think about the reasons why I have such feelings, where the feelings stem from, etc. That doesn't match with what I have observed in Fi users.
    Why does that bother you?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    You are right.

    Not only do you not understand what Fi is but you don't understand what a rational vs irrational function is.
    Can you pls provide any link or source I might use for that?


    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    Fe permits emotional awareness as well. Why not just develop the feeling preference that comes to you more naturally. Not that I don't understand the impulse to become more like an ENTJ.

    Why does that bother you?
    1. I need emotional awareness of myself, not only other people. It is not ENTJ but more F. More INFP / ENFJ.

    2. Because that is not what I have observed in Fi users and as I said the end goal is to be able to emulate the mental process that Fi users apply.



    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    I don't think you're wrong-- maybe you just feel like you need to have it exactly right. When so much of psychology is about guesswork. I personally dont think Fi & Ti are as different as people believe.
    Thank you for the inspiring words. I am certain it is possible to do in some way.

  8. #8
    my floof is luxury Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,981

    Default

    Fair enough.

    From what you've said here it sounds like you've got the right idea, but you think too much about it and rather than simply experiencing Fi you're having the experience of Fi as scrutinized by Ti. Fi is all about that initial, instinctual response to something. It's hard to explain because it is so utterly subjective. This is how this experience made me feel. It's not an endless wormhole because people only have so many subjective experiences that any new experience can relate to, and even fewer that are significant enough to become touchstones of your emotional life.

    So going back to the example in your initial post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post

    After that though it feel too much like Ti. I start following the trail of feelings. Example:

    I talked to Bill and he made me angry. What did he say that made me angry? OK, that I did not produce the results I needed to. I feel anger when I think about this exactly. Why? I am afraid. (I feel it) Why? Because ... and so on.
    If I were hypothetically walking this back with Fi it would go something like this:
    1) Bill made me angry
    2) I was pissed off because I was afraid because something in his actions towards me intimidated me.
    3) Being helpless frightens me, and its easier for me to be angry than afraid.

    You could connect these to some previous experience that you had personally or with Bill, make some assumption about why Bill felt the need to intimidate you, or some wider theory about why anger is preferable to fear. But at that point you're no longer dealing in the specifics of your own experience, so its no longer strictly Fi.

    In any case, tl;dr--if you don't get Fi its because you're thinking to hard about it.

    Another resource on the subject.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

  9. #9
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    might have been a typo but enfjs aren't fi users..

    anyway...everyone has their own sorts of values which determine how they filter information but rather than always thinking it through it's felt more like an immediate gut reaction...a knowing rather it was right or wrong based on an automatic value check. is it genuine? what's the intention? are they behaving in a way that i approve of or disprove of? like everything you know of a person and what this action means coming from them.

    you seem to be analyzing the feelings as something separate from you when ours are what define us....i don't have to think it through because i know who i am and what i stand for....not to say that everything is black and white tho...because i take into consideration other peoples unique self and rather or not their behavior meant what it would mean coming from me...it often doesn't...so that's important to respect as well...and i will so long as they're respecting my views.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  10. #10
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    hmm.

    i guess for me (enfp) it is like...

    bill made me feel angry. instead of, "what did he say that made me angry?", i tend to think, when in the conversation did i start to heat up and get defensive? in what way was bill affronting the way things should be?

    well, maybe bill called me a small-minded asshat, which it's fine if he thinks i'm an asshat, because sometimes i am, but calling me small-minded is unacceptable because that is definitely not who i am. it implies that i cannot perform deep or lateral thinking, which i am engaged in all the time. and then he went on to say that small children should be spanked. i firmly do not believe in the efficacy of corporal punishment, i think it's harmful, so that statement makes me upset on a certain level.

    more advanced Fi can start looking "inside" the other person too, like lady x is getting at. such as - bill is usually pretty even-keeled, but he's been particularly aggressive today. it seems that is looking to pick a fight; i wonder why he is feeling like that. what is it that he is missing, to make him feel happy and safe? i know he just moved here and is having a hard time fitting in culturally, so maybe he is channeling some of that frustration right now. maybe he had a recent bad interaction with someone else and is still on edge.

    anyway, there's also this interesting element of it, that's like feeling a "burning" sensation - it's a full body heat - like a call to action. that's what Fi is for me. it's like a burning fire inside. you don't just cognate it, you feel it. it pushes you to a certain limit where you have to speak up against whatever's going on to make things right again.

Similar Threads

  1. Describe how you experience your type's functions!! IT'S FUN, HONEST
    By VagrantFarce in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 12:58 AM
  2. Opposing judgment functions- how do they work for you?
    By BlackCat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 09:08 PM
  3. How would you feel if your child one day dies for his/her country?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-15-2008, 04:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO