• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which type is crazier, INTP or INFP?

Which is the crazier of them all?

• INTPs

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • INFPs

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • Ah... no. Just no. Only Es can be crazy.

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters
R

ReflecTcelfeR

well, they are introverts, so they don't always make it terribly clear, unlike ExTJs who present it to you on a silver platter. still, when you find it, at least it's a whole, coherent system. it still has rules.

Fi, on the other hand... i mean, it has rules too, but its rules are much less clear. i like to think of the J functions as rulers - Te (obj, obj) uses a ruler whose units are derived from an outside measure (like the length of a chestnut) and always remains the same no matter what you are measuring. Fe (obj, subj) also uses outside measures, but its units may change depending on what you're measuring. (like equating a B from a really good school to an A from a mediocre one). then there's Ti (subj, obj), whose units stay the same but are made up by the person doing the measuring. and finally, there's Fi (subj, subj), whose units are created internally and change based on the situation.

this yields Fi some unique advantages but also makes it doubly removed from stable external reality - hence its users taking the crazy cake.

I think Marm brought up the point I was trying to get at specifically, and said it quiet nicely. The Ti logic is cohesive, but not necessarily sane and as such can have the same crazy-ness as the INFP. I think both can be equally seen as crazy if they abandon the only function they use to judge the outside world, like you have pointed out. In the end we agree. I'm just trying to point out the equality. Ti will be consistent in their "logical reasoning" making it stubborn and scary, while Fi can go bat-shit crazy and destroy like a wildfire and be equally scary for a different, but equal reason... The subjectivity and fluctuation of values when new information is presented to them.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ true for basically all P-introverts, though, isn't it? true for all of us if we let go of our stabilizing functions and set our dominant loose. IxxPs will get lost in their own little worlds, ExxPs will get lost in the big universal world, IxxJs will get lost in endless contemplation, ExxJs will get lost in endless delegation...

still think if you select an INFP at random and an INTP at random they'll both be quiet and socially awkward but the INFP is more likely to be crazy.

Luna_Lovegood.jpg

in a good way.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

That's why these threads never really have a point beyond eventually everyone agreeing we all go equally as crazy for different reasons.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just can't buy into any of it because I've known utterly wacko SJs and I just have too much experience with being around personality disorders, neurosis, mentally ill people, and so forth, to think that INFPs are necessarily crazier.

Crazier than what? An ESTJ in a Te/Ne loop? A violent ESFJ with BPD? An ISTJ with bipolar disorder? An ESFP with a drinking or drug problem who has crashed three cars?

"Crazy" is a really non-descript word, in all seriousness, and has no psychiatric relevance. INFPs are just more likely to be all fanciful and living in their own little world and being mystical and possibly spiritual.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hah. i didn't even think of it in terms of clinical crazy. i was just thinking "oh man she is batshit" crazy.

end-of-thread.gif

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh so you must think that ExFPs are "foolish."

:doh:

Ti can be impressive, but it can also be annoying and dull. It's a cognitive personality difference.

I don't know who would find faulty or disconnected Ti impressive simply by virtue of being Ti. Perhaps a Fe-dom? I've got aspirational Ti for you, ladies! <looks around hopefully>

I'm just illustrating that Ti/Ne can be crazy too, and to deny that seems more than a bit "off."

I'm not actually claiming that we're sane, just that we're harmless.

iris.moon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm an INFP and I think INFPs are most likely to look "crazy". But we're not! It's just... random thoughts. And people listening to us think "What the hell?!". But it's true, everybody can be crazy in his own way.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm an INFP and I think INFPs are most likely to look "crazy". But we're not! It's just... random thoughts. And people listening to us think "What the hell?!". But it's true, everybody can be crazy in his own way.

so you seem crazy because you have crazy thoughts, but you arent crazy? :D

uncommonentity

Everyone requires help in some way or another. I don't think it's a matter of who's crazy or not but more so who needs more assistance. And for me that'll have to be the INFPs.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think there are more INFP are more anoying/amusing crazy and thus they win by numbers % of their type.

INTPs are mostly more sane as a group but when one slips through the fence and moves into a cabin in the woods (or becomes a president or major power broker) watchout.

G

Glycerine

Just for kicks, I said INFPs. The INFP is typically willing to go more outside the bounds. I am not saying INTPs are necessarily logical but they seem to limit their introspection to mostly things they perceive as logical. INFPs tend to broaden out their introspection a bit to include more intangibles. We know that they can be crazy in different ways, I just answered for fun! :)

sculpting

So Ti is much more grounding than Fi. I think you'd find that between ENFPs and ENTPs, ENFPs are the crazier of the two, though in my experience it is very even.

I am going to argue that is Fe, not Ti, that settles the outside of the ENTP. :) A crazy ENFP is fairly obvious due to the emo vomit, thus it is easy to step out of the way or avoid or cut out of your life. A crazy ENTP is a narcissitic sociopath who can do massive damage as they look very normal until viewed in continuity or retrospectively. I am not sure you can quanitfy or compare "crazy" between the two.

INFPs or INTPs? I dunno, I need more precision around "crazy". Both types are unique, but do seem a little more stable than their EXNP counterparts.

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I am INTP. My 21 yr old son is INFP. He was a little goofball when he was younger but, as he has gotten older, Ne actually seems to serve as a counter-balance to intense Fi idealism. The inferior functions Si-Te are responsible for a chronic sense of worry and a tendency towards hypochondria (not that he complains since he is so busy saving humanity).

He is definitely more serious than I am. And although we giggle like a couple of little kids when we start Ne extroverting, there are clear boundaries that I do not cross. The INTP mom is the crazy one at my house.

Sunshiney

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, I'm going to say they are both crazy in a special way. INTPs are the logical, creeper kinds of crazy who scare "normal" people with their vast knowledge and "DID YOU KNOW?"s. According to the ESTJ society I live in, knowing basic knowledge is creepy. But that thought is disgusting in its own.

While INTPs are like what I just said, INFPs usually scare you in three ways: 1, their hobbies, 2 their ways of doing things, and 3 their pretty masochistic and sadistic ways of thinking/ their thought process.

Never ever ask me what my thought process is like. Please. And please also do not ask what is typically on my mind.In fact, never ask any N what is on their mind constantly. The results are terrifying.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In the past 24 hours I can report encountering a crazy INTP.

Perhaps two of them, still not sure on the second one.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think we're pretty tied for the good kind of crazy, I'm not going to comment on the bad kind of crazy because I fear those INFP's more than I fear death itself.