User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: Type my son

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Type my son

My husband and I are very concerned about our 10 year old son. He has several learning issues and he doesn't seem to enjoy or want many friends. He also is grumpy a great deal of the time. We don't know if we should be concerned about him - ie take him to counseling. Since he has been this way his whole life, I am wondering if it is just his natural personality. So I thought understanding his type might be useful. I have my own guess, but I would like to hear from others.

He has never enjoyed physical affection.
    He is a great strategist. Even though he does poorly on most school work, he can beat adults at games like chess and Risk.
    He is very skeptical about commercials and people telling him things in general. He tends to think that people are liars.
    He complains about being bored constantly, but doesn't have any specific interests.
    He enjoys camping/fishing type activities, board games and video games (he especially likes the games that have you build a medieval castle and village and then attack other castles).
    He doesn't seem to have compassion or understanding of other people's feelings, but occasionally he will strongly defend someone who is being bullied or picked on or being treated unjustly.
    He loves to argue/debate.
    He tends to avoid any type of work, but will work really had to get a reward he wants or to get money to buy a video game.
    He has a very strong reaction to smells and noise.
    When he was a baby, the only thing that would calm him down was if I sang to him. He wasn't calmed down by rocking or being held like other babies.

Any thoughts?

INTJ No doubt.

You're son at 10 is how i always wanted to be ha..i envy him.

INTJ, perhaps 6w5 or 5w6? Selfpreservation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    My husband and I are very concerned about our 10 year old son. He has several learning issues and he doesn't seem to enjoy or want many friends. He also is grumpy a great deal of the time. We don't know if we should be concerned about him - ie take him to counseling. Since he has been this way his whole life, I am wondering if it is just his natural personality. So I thought understanding his type might be useful. I have my own guess, but I would like to hear from others.
    1. INTJ
    2. INTP

Sounds more Fi than Fe.

He is a great strategist. Even though he does poorly on most school work, he can beat adults at games like chess and Risk.
    NT

He is very skeptical about commercials and people telling him things in general. He tends to think that people are liars.
    INTx skepticism.

He complains about being bored constantly, but doesn't have any specific interests.
    INTx. Our minds have to be active - we have to be engaged in something interesting at all times. At 10, he may have no idea what he likes yet. He's still trying to figure that out. Ask him what he would like to try - leave it up to him. Summer swimming lessons? Little League baseball? A computer club or group? A new lego set, be left alone in your room all summer to build things with it? Learn to play an instrument? Some new books? Want to write a story? Subscription to a really good science magazine? Go to a science fair for adults? Get him involved in something, but let him choose which things he'd like to try - and if he shows interest in something, support him all the way - it could be the one big thing that ends up captivating his interests.

He enjoys camping/fishing type activities, board games and video games (he especially likes the games that have you build a medieval castle and village and then attack other castles).
    Hmmm. Camping/fishing could be any type. Building things = NT

He doesn't seem to have compassion or understanding of other people's feelings, but occasionally he will strongly defend someone who is being bullied or picked on or being treated unjustly.
    Young NT.

NT

He tends to avoid any type of work, but will work really had to get a reward he wants or to get money to buy a video game.
    P??

Possible HSP. Highly sensitive person.
    http://www.hsperson.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highly_sensitive_person

When he was a baby, the only thing that would calm him down was if I sang to him. He wasn't calmed down by rocking or being held like other babies.
    ISFP??

All things considered, I'd say INTx.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

That's more Fi than anything. Definetely INTJ over INTP.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think INTJ

But -- it seems like he isn't having fun at school. Maybe he needs more friends with similar interests? Maybe he feels lonely and misunderstood?
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post

Any thoughts?
    He sounds like an INTJ, INTP or even ISTP. emneagram 5. Kinda sounds like me when I was a kid to be honest, except I didn't like to argue.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

"He has never enjoyed physical affection." -
    That seems very Ti.

"He is a great strategist. Even though he does poorly on most school work, he can beat adults at games like chess and Risk." -

Sensing and Thinking.

"He is very skeptical about commercials and people telling him things in general. He tends to think that people are liars." -

Sensors are skeptical types.

"He complains about being bored constantly, but doesn't have any specific interests." -

Sounds kind of like a Perceiver.

"He enjoys camping/fishing type activities, board games and video games (he especially likes the games that have you build a medieval castle and village and then attack other castles)."

That's the Strategist element again. Some might say that's an NTJ trait, but that depends. It may be STJ also.

"He doesn't seem to have compassion or understanding of other people's feelings, but occasionally he will strongly defend someone who is being bullied or picked on or being treated unjustly." -

I understand where someone's Fi idea is coming from here. However, that depends on why he sometimes defends bullied kids.

"He loves to argue/debate."

Possibly a Thinking type.

"He tends to avoid any type of work, but will work really had to get a reward he wants or to get money to buy a video game."

Sounds like a Perceiver.

"He has a very strong reaction to smells and noise."

Sensing and Perceiving.

"When he was a baby, the only thing that would calm him down was if I sang to him. He wasn't calmed down by rocking or being held like other babies."

Studies on babies indicate that this, unfortunately, signifies a low-level IQ. Do you have any IQ information on him?

My call is either ISTP or ESTP, based on the personality information you gave and not the IQ or baby-hood behaviors.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

"Strong reaction to smells and sounds." I would call that introverted.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”