• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type my son

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use the evidence provided. Thanks.

The strong reaction to noises and smells is purely an Introverted trait. The rest of the material you bolded is baby-hood history.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
The strong reaction to noises and smells is purely an Introverted trait. The rest of the material you bolded is baby-hood history.

Two problems. First, the link you supplied to a study is an Error 400; second as I said the only evidence I've seen is correlation; not causation otherwise.

Are you trying to Salomé the debate?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Two problems. First, the link you supplied to a study is an Error 400; second as I said the only evidence I've seen is correlation; not causation otherwise.

Are you trying to Salomé the debate?

The link worked for me when I tested it on the forum. But the source does not allow copy and paste, so I quoted the relevant question. The entire test consists of "yes-no" questions on introversion.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This doesn't give us any view on causation of hypersensitivity and introversion. It's a blank questionairre. I'm well aware that they correlate; but the question would be why do they causate?

Those traits in the questionnaire, including the hypersensitivity question, are the introversion, they do not correlate with introversion. What causes introversion? Genetics, environment, sometimes trauma. Who knows?

Poconos3

I have a master's degree in as a speech therapist, special education and reading. My son is in the ASD, my mother is in the ASD, my grandfather was in the ASD... Many of the characteristics listed are consistent with HFA; actually, it is pretty text book. Thanks for your input there Jimmy:)

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I have a master's degree in as a speech therapist, special education and reading. My son is in the ASD, my mother is in the ASD, my grandfather was in the ASD... Many of the characteristics listed are consistent with HFA; actually, it is pretty text book. Thanks for your input there Jimmy:)

xkcd-correlation.jpg

Okay, let me show the speech therapist why I dont buy it.

Let me remind that the topic is not 'High Level Autism' but does Hypersensitivity CAUSATE with Introversion.

_____When I work on projects, I like to have larger uninterrupted time periods rather
than smaller chunks. - Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I sometimes rehearse things before speaking, occasionally writing notes for myself. - Does not show hypersensitivity
_____In general, I like to listen more than I like to talk.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____People sometimes think I’m quiet, mysterious, aloof or calm.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I like to share special occasions with just one person or a few close friends, rather
than have big celebrations.- Potential hypersensitivity
_____I usually need to think before I respond or speak.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I tend to notice details many people don’t see.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____If two people have just had a fight, I feel the tension in the air.- Potential hypersensitivity
_____If I say I will do something, I almost always do it.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I feel anxious if I have a deadline or pressure to finish a project.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I can “zone out” if too much is going on.- Shows the opposite of hypersensitivity
_____I like to watch an activity for a while before I decide to join in.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I form lasting relationships.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I don’t like to interrupt others; I don’t like to be interrupted.- Potential hypersensitivity, isnt this just good manners?
_____When I take in lots of information, it takes me awhile to sort it out.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I don’t like over-stimulating environments. I can’t imagine why folks want to go
to horror movies or go on roller coasters._____I sometimes have strong reactions to smells, tastes, foods, weather, noises, etc.- Correlates with hypersensitivity
_____I am creative and/or imaginative.- Does not show hypersensitivity

Seriously, I'd hope that you speach therapists would learn to read posts; alas you must spend far too much time speaking instead. Even us Masters of Engineering postgraduates learn how to read and social skills are not our strong point.
_____I feel drained after social situations, even when I enjoy myself.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I prefer to be introduced rather than to introduce others.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I can become grouchy if I’m around people or activities too long.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I often feel uncomfortable in new surroundings.- Borderline shows hypersensitivity
_____I like people to come to my home, but I don’t like them to stay too long.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I often dread returning phone calls.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I find my mind sometimes goes blank when I meet people or when I am asked to
speak unexpectedly.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I talk slowly or have gaps in my words, especially if I am tired or if I am trying to
speak and think at once.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I don’t think of casual acquaintances as friends.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____I feel as if I can’t show other people my work or ideas until they are fully
formulated.- Does not show hypersensitivity
_____Other people may surprise me by thinking I am smarter than I think I am- Does not show hypersensitivity

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
wrt dyslexia:

Has your son had a full eye examination done by a reputable developmental or pediatric optometrist? This would be different than just seeing the eye dr for a regular eye exam.

Reading and Vision

An excerpt:

"Reading requires children to accurately use all of their language, decoding, phonetic, and visual skills to successfully recognize words and gather meaning from the written text. Unfortunately, about 20% of school-aged children struggle to read. Some of these children suffer from learning disabilities or dyslexia, the inability of the brain's verbal language or auditory processing centers to accurately decode print or phonetically make the connection between the word's written symbols and their appropriate sounds. However, a large portion of children struggling to read are not dyslexic at all; their phonetic awareness and language processing skills are fine. It's their vision that is interfering with their ability to read."​

Some children do have dyslexia, but others instead have vision problems that can benefit from a variety of therapies.

Vision therapy itself is controversial, as some people praise it highly and others feel it of little value. Their praise or lack thereof likely stems from whether or not they felt the therapy useful for their particular situation. So I can't comment on that. However, I do personally know parents who feel it changed their child's life.

So that might be a helpful path to explore.

-----

Additionally, there are theories suggesting that a lack of vitamin D could be a contributing factor to autism and even dyslexia.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--NqqB2nhBE"]Dr. John Cannell on vitamin D[/YOUTUBE]

As an aside, the evidence to support vitamin D supplementation for a variety of health benefits is compelling - this video is long, but snappy, and quite interesting:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq1t9WqOD-0"]Vitamin D and Prevention of Chronic Diseases[/YOUTUBE]

Some food for thought - I wish you the best with your son.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As a young child, I often hid in my room and did my extraverting there. Haha. In fact, as a young child I couldn't extravert with others. Just because you extravert doesn't mean you're open, friendly, and gregarious. Hardly. And yet, I was intensely stimulated by the outside world: books, music, movies, etc. I just didn't want to have to deal with fucking PEOPLE.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a young child, I often hid in my room and did my extraverting there. Haha. In fact, as a young child I couldn't extravert with others. Just because you extravert doesn't mean you're open, friendly, and gregarious. Hardly. And yet, I was intensely stimulated by the outside world: books, music, movies, etc. I just didn't want to have to deal with fucking PEOPLE.

Being intensely stimulated by books, music, etc. doesn't mean you're an extravert. I'm an introvert who was stimulated by those same things, and I still am.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

that's not extravertiing. these are all introverted pleasures

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
_____I sometimes have strong reactions to smells, tastes, foods, weather, noises, etc.- Correlates with hypersensitivity

I don't see the point to all that, so I quoted the part that matters. This is not a hypersensitivity test, it is an introversion test.
The question above does not "correlate" with hypersensitivity, it corresponds with hypersensitivity. But it describes an introverted trait. If you self-describe as at least 15 of those traits on the test, then it scores you as an introvert.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I don't see the point to all that, so I quoted the part that matters. This is not a hypersensitivity test, it is an introversion test.
The question above does not "correlate" with hypersensitivity, it corresponds with hypersensitivity. But it describes an introverted trait. If you self-describe as at least 15 of those traits on the test, then it scores you as an introvert.

I was going to shake my head in disbelief, but sadly, I do believe. Only an INTP can push a bunch of questions which 'show' A which have nothing to do with B then turn around and go A=B this is proof.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bah! I'm not an introvert!!! I just interact with people so much all freaking day long that when I come home, I turn into a hermit. :p

What I want to say with that is that you can be an extravert without necessarily desiring physical touch all the time or dealing with people 24/7. If I don't get time to myself, I go bonkers nutzoid.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bah! I'm not an introvert!!! I just interact with people so much all freaking day long that when I come home, I turn into a hermit. :p

What I want to say with that is that you can be an extravert without necessarily desiring physical touch all the time or dealing with people 24/7. If I don't get time to myself, I go bonkers nutzoid.

That is precisely an ESFP trait, by the way. If you research ESFP descriptions I'm sure you will find one that states that the ESFPs need to take a break away from people. They lose social energy like an introvert would.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was going to shake my head in disbelief, but sadly, I do believe. Only an INTP can push a bunch of questions which 'show' A which have nothing to do with B then turn around and go A=B this is proof.

I don't see where you're coming up with any of that. From "Only an INTP" all the way to "this is proof" it comes across to me as pure stark raving madness.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That is precisely an ESFP trait, by the way. If you research ESFP descriptions I'm sure you will find one that states that the ESFPs need to take a break away from people. They lose social energy like an introvert would.

Right, my point exactly. Doesn't mean I'm an introvert. Doesn't mean he's an introvert. *shrugs*

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Right, my point exactly. Doesn't mean I'm an introvert. Doesn't mean he's an introvert. *shrugs*