• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type my son

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That page only stated that ISFJ's are most likely to be enneagram six.

And please elaborate how sensation and skepticism correlates and how avoiding physical affection is a Ti trait.

To be fair, you should also elaborate on your own points.

I see you are asking me about "sensation" and skepticism. But "sensation" is not a function. So I won't fall into the trap of trying to argue that "sensing one's environment" correlates with skepticism. Si and Se are functions.

However, I will say that Sensing types are skeptical about intellectual ideas in general. Primarily, I think, because they don't need them or rely on them.

But every Sensing type is a little different about this. The ISTJ is known to engage in intellectual discussion, according to descriptions. I have done intellectual battle with an ISTJ in real life many times. One thing I can tell you is that he is excellent at finding and pursuing a weak spot in an argument. He also told me he scored 100% on the S category. But you really can't look at it that way, as the functions work together and never, ever individually.

Projection is the psychological reason that Sensors are skeptical. They like to pull the wool over other peoples' eyes, and so they are afraid someone will do it to them, and are likely to develop the ad hoc belief that someone is actually doing so. So skepticism develops into a knee-jerk reaction.

Now the N types - contrary to what you may read on the internet, particularly about the NTs - are definitely naive rather than skeptical. They are automatically willing to accept the possibility that someone is not lying. First of all, they tend to be the most honest in their attitude toward life, so they naturally assume that everybody else is the same way. Sensors love to pull the wool over the eyes of iNtuitives.

One more point: The iNtuitives are far more likely to suffer from Idealistic Projection than the Sensors - they wear rose colored glasses concerning various things, people, etc. Whereas the Sensors try to see things as they are, but sometimes go too far and off-handedly reject ideas, especially new ones that don't fit in with their previous ideas, without sufficient thought. But the Si is likely to give new ideas more thought relative to the Se, even if the thought is directed toward finding holes to punch in those ideas. The iNtuitive is more likely to "try on an idea for size," no matter how outlandish it sounds at first, especially the Ti iNtuitive. But the Te iNtuitive is more likely to reject an idea that fails to mesh with their previous ideas.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
unless S now stands for strategic, this kid is Intuitive as hell. he spends his free time in his room creating master plans and living in an imaginary world of castles and medieval knights. S children typically don't engage in imaginative games that much.

Children of all types engage their imaginations. The facts indicate that in this case the imaginary world is strongly realistic and concrete.

As I said originally, the strategy parts of her description seems STJ. Or they could be STP, depending. There's really not much to go on.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"He also enjoys fishing and camping. N children typically don't engage in outdoor/physical activities."

or wait..

It is only stated that he enjoys strategic games, not that he lives completely inside his own mind in a imaginary medieval world.

That's true.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My husband and I are very concerned about our 10 year old son. He has several learning issues and he doesn't seem to enjoy or want many friends. He also is grumpy a great deal of the time. We don't know if we should be concerned about him - ie take him to counseling. Since he has been this way his whole life, I am wondering if it is just his natural personality. So I thought understanding his type might be useful. I have my own guess, but I would like to hear from others.

He has never enjoyed physical affection.
He is a great strategist. Even though he does poorly on most school work, he can beat adults at games like chess and Risk.
He is very skeptical about commercials and people telling him things in general. He tends to think that people are liars.
He complains about being bored constantly, but doesn't have any specific interests.
He enjoys camping/fishing type activities, board games and video games (he especially likes the games that have you build a medieval castle and village and then attack other castles).
He doesn't seem to have compassion or understanding of other people's feelings, but occasionally he will strongly defend someone who is being bullied or picked on or being treated unjustly.
He loves to argue/debate.
He tends to avoid any type of work, but will work really had to get a reward he wants or to get money to buy a video game.
He has a very strong reaction to smells and noise.
When he was a baby, the only thing that would calm him down was if I sang to him. He wasn't calmed down by rocking or being held like other babies.

Any thoughts?

I was just looking into to personality types as children and I found this great resource!

http://www.personalitypage.com/html/kid_info.html

It assigns all kids only 3 letters, and reserves giving the 4th until they're 13 or older, which is really smart actually, or at least really accurate for me. There a test for YOU to fill out here

http://www.personalitypage.com/cgi-local/build_pqk.cgi

or you can just read the profiles. I think you could have your son fill out the test, but it's really more from a parent's perspective.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's very clear to me that the son is ESFP. /thread

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sigh, I forgot to add that Sensors are skeptical about claims made that they can't verify immediately. For example, I told the Sensor one day (who scored 100% S on the MBTI) that I saw a tornado (f1) off in the distance a few years ago. His friend saw it too at the time. It was clearly a funnel shape reaching from ground to sky. He immediately threw out, "It's not a tornado until it touches the ground, and you don't know if it touched the ground." I said, "Oh, so it could have been hovering one inch above the ground and not be a tornado, just a funnel cloud." He said, "That's right."

So I have to ask: What's all this BALONEY on internet sites about the NT being skeptics? What do they mean by NT's being skeptics?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sigh, I forgot to add that Sensors are skeptical about claims made that they can't verify immediately. For example, I told the Sensor one day (who scored 100% S on the MBTI) that I saw a tornado (f1) off in the distance a few years ago. His friend saw it too at the time. It was clearly a funnel shape reaching from ground to sky. He immediately threw out, "It's not a tornado until it touches the ground, and you don't know if it touched the ground." I said, "Oh, so it could have been hovering one inch above the ground and not be a tornado, just a funnel cloud." He said, "That's right."

So I have to ask: What's all this BALONEY on internet sites about the NT being skeptics? What do they mean by NT's being skeptics?

According to Keirsey, SJs are actually the most "watchful" in that sense ("oh hell no that's bullshit" was my ISTJ grandfather's pretty much permanent outlook on life), not NTs. NTs I think are more skeptical socially, of the accepted ways of doing things, or what people do together in groups. They want to experiment to see what's under what's there, so are skeptical of the underpinnings, while SJs are skeptical in the sense of "don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see" (also one of ISTJ grandpa's favorite sentiments). I'm not a big fan of Keirsey, but this is the explanation for that if you divide into temperaments.

I know an ISxJ (ugh don't ask...ISTJ one day, ISFJ the next, depending on which theory followed) who doesn't believe in god, he's very much a Sensor, and no one was able to convince him of a supernatural being even as a child. He was like "lolwut? no."

My ESFJ ex also is very firm about the Bible just being a cultural book that some people are interested in, while others are not. It's that cut and dried to him, and seems silly that people believe it.

But funnily enough, he believes in energy, vibes, and possible ghosts, and the ISxJ who is a lifelong atheist believes people can be spiritual without believing in a god, which is true.

One of the reasons that I have questioned being ESFP over ENFP (besides Beebe's theory where Demon Ne actually makes tremendous sense for me) is my insistence on referring back to my life experience, et al (which could mean Opposing Personality Complex Si instead of Inferior Si).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But funnily enough, he believes in energy, vibes, and possible ghosts, and the ISxJ who is a lifelong atheist believes people can be spiritual without believing in a god, which is true.

Believe it or not, that doesn't surprise me for an S. I think even Jung originally indicated the Sensors will believe in the supernatural. The SFJ wouldn't even question it. The ISFJ would put a personal spin on things (earth-mother versus God, for example). The ESFJ is just following cultural religious norms. The ISTJs are very much interested in these subjects although they are skeptical of claims that they cannot verify for themselves.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Believe it or not, that doesn't surprise me for an S. I think even Jung originally indicated the Sensors will believe in the supernatural. The SFJ wouldn't even question it. The ISFJ would put a personal spin on things (earth-mother versus God, for example). The ESFJ is just following cultural religious norms. The ISTJs very much interested in these subjects although they are skeptical of claims that they cannot verify for themselves.

Well I know that intuition is something separate from Jungian iNtuitives, and the reason why Sensors will believe it is because it's part of the fabric of their personal experience and they can feel it. I think Sensing Feelers are some of the people most likely to accept that people give off vibes, accept it as though it's "common sense." I know that I've had deeply intuitive connections with more than one Sensor, so that's not a defining characteristic of an NF, bringing me even further into questioning my own type.

My ESFJ was not following cultural religious norms. I'm saying his grasp of being experiential and Sensing is such that he sees that the Bible is a book, like many other books, containing cultural stories, and accepts that some people are fascinated by these stories and may agree with the morals therein, but absolutely does not believe there's anything supernatural about any religious book. His sense of "evil" and "spiritual" is based on what he can feel and experience, much like my own, interestingly enough. I'm simply a bit more likely to trust theory than he is, which could mean I'm iNtuitive, or just that I'm a Sensor closer to being N than he is.

Sensing Thinkers, though, because of being thinkers would be more skeptical of these "feelings," like I think that STs in general want solid proof of every fucking thing.

Little_Sticks

He has never enjoyed physical affection.
He is a great strategist. Even though he does poorly on most school work, he can beat adults at games like chess and Risk.
He is very skeptical about commercials and people telling him things in general. He tends to think that people are liars.
He complains about being bored constantly, but doesn't have any specific interests.
He enjoys camping/fishing type activities, board games and video games (he especially likes the games that have you build a medieval castle and village and then attack other castles).
He doesn't seem to have compassion or understanding of other people's feelings, but occasionally he will strongly defend someone who is being bullied or picked on or being treated unjustly.
He loves to argue/debate.
He tends to avoid any type of work, but will work really had to get a reward he wants or to get money to buy a video game.
He has a very strong reaction to smells and noise.
When he was a baby, the only thing that would calm him down was if I sang to him. He wasn't calmed down by rocking or being held like other babies.

Any thoughts?

This kind of sounds like possible aspergers or autism?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was just looking into to personality types as children and I found this great resource!

http://www.personalitypage.com/html/kid_info.html

It assigns all kids only 3 letters, and reserves giving the 4th until they're 13 or older, which is really smart actually, or at least really accurate for me. There a test for YOU to fill out here

http://www.personalitypage.com/cgi-local/build_pqk.cgi

or you can just read the profiles. I think you could have your son fill out the test, but it's really more from a parent's perspective.

yeah, it's really interesting. it just identifies a kid's dominant function, essentially. though i was much more like an IFP kid than an ENP kid.

mal12345 said:
I don't understand a thing you just said. :blush:

lol! sorry. i will explain better.

INTJ, enneatype 5 wing 6, or 6 wing 5; self-preservation variant (the three variants are social, sexual, and self-pres).

unsung said:
I'd most definetely say it is Fi. Inferior functions appear under stressful situations and manifests in a bad way, especially when you're very young. Doesn't seem to be the case here.

i agree with you, probably - especially because he sounds more INTJ overall to me at first glance - but if he's a 6, it may well have been that side of him. my dad is an INTP 6w5 and he has stories of himself being a child and getting beat up because he stuck up for bullied kids, or just for himself when he was being bullied

i think it's often to do with technical precision and in visioning better ways to get things done, as well as not taking things at face value. i don't think they mean specific, situational skepticism as much as delving deep into systems and questioning things.

i mean, look here, you are an NT being skeptical of NTs being skeptics, no? :)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your ex was a very interesting ESFJ because integral to their type's make-up is following cultural norms. The ESFJ type forms the backbone of many of our cultural institutions, religious or otherwise.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your ex was a very interesting ESFJ because integral to their type's make-up is following cultural norms. The ESFJ type forms the backbone of many of our cultural institutions, religious or otherwise.

Yeah he follows his mother's cultural norms. The man's name goes first on the Christmas gift package, dammit. The man walks on the street side of the sidewalk to protect the girl. People who cheat on their spouses get cut up, and this is common sense.

Seriously, not all SFJs were raised in conservative Christian households. Do we really need to have the Si discussion about what happens when Si/Fe is subjected to liberal, non-religious parenting?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"i mean, look here, you are an NT being skeptical of NTs being skeptics, no?" But I gave those pages the benefit of the doubt above by also asking, "What does it MEAN?" I know what a Sensor's skepticism means. I just think it's illogical to only describe NTs as skeptical. The claims on those pages just don't hold water with me.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i agree with you, probably - especially because he sounds more INTJ overall to me at first glance - but if he's a 6, it may well have been that side of him. my dad is an INTP 6w5 and he has stories of himself being a child and getting beat up because he stuck up for bullied kids, or just for himself when he was being bullied

I really need to see an IQ score on him, not to say that an ISTP (which is how I type him) has a low IQ, but that the INTJ has a HIGH IQ, probably the highest of all the types.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I really need to see an IQ score on him, not to say that an ISTP (which is how I type him) has a low IQ, but that the INTJ has a HIGH IQ, probably the highest of all the types.

I think the way you type people might be incorrect.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah he follows his mother's cultural norms. The man's name goes first on the Christmas gift package, dammit. The man walks on the street side of the sidewalk to protect the girl. People who cheat on their spouses get cut up, and this is common sense.

Seriously, not all SFJs were raised in conservative Christian households. Do we really need to have the Si discussion about what happens when Si/Fe is subjected to liberal, non-religious parenting?

As culture changes (evolves) so do many of these type-descriptions. Many of them are becoming out-dated. But the principle behind them remains the same.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the way you type people might be incorrect.

Nevertheless, I like my formula and I've been using it for a long, long time. I just need to see some good counter-arguments to my claims. If you don't like my disagreement, let me just point out that I often agree with you more than disagree. But I suspect we come from very different generational perspectives.

Illmatic

i do not know how he can be anything other than INTJ. You just typed a archetype INTJ in the OP.