User Tag List

First 162425262728 Last

Thread: Type my son

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    ^ re hypersensitivity, I was hoping to see Jim here too to corroborate on definition, and perhaps choose a better word too.

re super-smellin' / tastin' - nope, hadn't thought about that. I only found this fact out a couple of weeks ago though. I have a lot of taste-buds on my tongue apparently. I considered genetics and gender but took the thought no further.
    Hypersensitivity would be extreme reactions to sensory phenomenon and sudden changes in the environment. We all think we have super-senses but if people are overwhelmed or overreact that is hypersensitivity.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ so that's your definition then. Thanks.

Here's a link I found on HSP research, with some ref to MBTI - for the interested, I post it here: Sensory-Processing Sensitivity and Its Relation to Introversion and Emotionality

Abstract: Over a series of 7 studies that used diverse samples and measures, this research identified a unidimensional core variable of high sensory-processing sensitivity and demonstrated its partial independence from social introversion and emotionality, variables with which it had been confused or subsumed in most previous theorizing by personality researchers. Additional findings were that there appear to be 2 distinct clusters of highly sensitive individuals (a smaller group with an unhappy childhood and related variables, and a larger group similar to nonhighly sensitive individuals except for their sensitivity) and that sensitivity moderates, at least for men, the relation of parental environment to reporting having had an unhappy childhood. This research also demonstrated adequate reliability and content, convergent, and discriminant validity for a 27-item Highly Sensitive Person Scale.

Lily Flower, sorry for this level of derail.

Gents, invent a new word for your constellation of reactions to sensory phenomena - I'll suggest one, how about, ultrasensoriousness.

ultrasensoriousness: extreme reactions to sensory phenomenon and sudden changes in the environment

And with that, I am outta here!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Anew Leaf

^ so that's your definition then. Thanks.

Here's a link I found on HSP research, with some ref to MBTI - for the interested, I post it here: Sensory-Processing Sensitivity and Its Relation to Introversion and Emotionality

Abstract: Over a series of 7 studies that used diverse samples and measures, this research identified a unidimensional core variable of high sensory-processing sensitivity and demonstrated its partial independence from social introversion and emotionality, variables with which it had been confused or subsumed in most previous theorizing by personality researchers. Additional findings were that there appear to be 2 distinct clusters of highly sensitive individuals (a smaller group with an unhappy childhood and related variables, and a larger group similar to nonhighly sensitive individuals except for their sensitivity) and that sensitivity moderates, at least for men, the relation of parental environment to reporting having had an unhappy childhood. This research also demonstrated adequate reliability and content, convergent, and discriminant validity for a 27-item Highly Sensitive Person Scale.

Gents, invent a new word for your constellation of reactions to sensory phenomena - I'll suggest one, how about, ultrasensoriousness.

ultrasensoriousness: extreme reactions to sensory phenomenon and sudden changes in the environment

And with that, I am outta here!
    I am going to go with "ultrahypersuper-Ti-itis."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Sounds XSTP to me honestly.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Hypersensitivity would be extreme reactions to sensory phenomenon and sudden changes in the environment. We all think we have super-senses but if people are overwhelmed or overreact that is hypersensitivity.
    Perhaps what Lily's talking about is a person who often is deep in thought and is disturbed easily by sounds. The "smelling" issue might not even be related.

If the "hypersensitivity" or "ultrasensoriousness" issue is related to Ni, then it is easy to explain why that trait is found in an introversion test.

I don't like the second term, it is even harder to type out than the first.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Perhaps what Lily's talking about is a person who often is deep in thought and is disturbed easily by sounds. The "smelling" issue might not even be related.

If the "hypersensitivity" or "ultrasensoriousness" issue is related to Ni, then it is easy to explain why that trait is found in an introversion test.

I don't like the second term, it is even harder to type out than the first.
    Maybe your Ti needs a vacation actually:

Banned

You have yet to show anything in contradiction to sensory reaction. Are you also trying to Salomé the discussion by posting and quoting 'totally germané resources' that do nothing other than use the word 'sensitive' but do not define it just as mal spent approximately 48 hours talking about introversion correlates and thus IS hypersensitivity with nothing more than a questionairre?

I lolled. Apology accepted.

Post Edit: You should note that although the above source references introversion on the MBTI classification on 37 sample points it used the Big Five scale for the rest. Since the big 5 scale correlates with behavioural Kerisey testing more than MBTI as Jungian cognitive testing then it's all a little bit jumbled attempting to draw any real conclusions regarding it.

I'm still going to say: Why do you really believe that correlation = causation?
    Last edited by InvisibleJim; 07-11-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Flavour

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    You have yet to show anything in contradiction to sensory reaction. Are you also trying to Salomé the discussion by posting and quoting 'totally germané resources' that do nothing other than use the word 'sensitive' but do not define it just as mal spent approximately 48 hours talking about introversion correlates and thus IS hypersensitivity with nothing more than a questionairre?

I lolled. Apology accepted.
    What is all this "salami the discussion" about anyway? I've been hanging around forums for over 12 1/2 years and have never seen that term used before.

As for my citing and defending the introversion questionnaire, I think you can give me a better criticism than that. In fact, I know you can.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

If I understand it right Jim, you are saying that inferior Se is potentially a causative factor in what constitutes this state of ultrasensoriousness, so I am interested in you proving that (beyond anecdotal references). It's not my job to disprove your assertion, you prove it.

I objected to you using the word hypersensitivity as well because it doesn't mean what you are trying to say it means.

Then, I got distracted and sussed out HSP references. So, I started my own little derail too. And spent about 2 more hours here than I should have lol

I leave you to get back to your fun though and I need to get some more work done.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Banned

If I understand it right Jim, you are saying that inferior Se is potentially a causative factor in what constitutes this state of ultrasensoriousness, so I am interested in you proving that (beyond anecdotal references). It's not my job to disprove your assertion, you prove it.

I objected to you using the word hypersensitivity as well because it doesn't mean what you are trying to say it means.

Then, I got distracted and sussed out HSP references. So, I started my own little derail too. And spent about 2 more hours here than I should have lol

I leave you to get back to your fun though and I need to get some more work done.
    Have you read my post quoting Psychological types in #247 ?

A highly sensitive person (HSP) is a person having the innate trait of high psychological sensitivity (or innate sensitiveness as Carl Jung originally coined it) In Psychological Types!