User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    TiNe
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Default Introverts being talkative children ?

Personality is said to be either more or less fixed early in childhood or to develop gradually, Introversion and Extraversion being rather obvious in children.

Yet, as an introvert (with a real preference for introversion, who even score as an Introvert child in the mbti test for children), I was a bit shy (apparently that was a cute trait, I was known to be shy and nervous around people) and did not always get social conventions but was pretty talkative (driven by curiosity), often asking random questions about everything, telling stories, engaging in pretend games (I was a real story teller) and also... telling people things I was not supposed to say.
    I also had friends (an occasional group of 4 girls, a best friend and some occasional friends or acquaintances I liked) pretty much up to the age of 9, until the social strucutre of the school became more complicated (I failed at "social skills" in primary school). I honestly do not think it opposes to the concept of introversion though some people argue it does. I think introversion had pretty much nothing to do with how social we can be or talkative but is more related to the way we process things and think but that's debatable.

I would never, as a child, go to parties (birthdays) or things like this but I was rather open to other children even though the relationships were mostly superficial (except for my selected one). I was also mostly passive (not really engaged in games which did not involve imagination and story telling) or leading (in story telling, and also in teaching) rather than friendly the way some children were but I guess it could be a case of being a T over being a F ?

The only introvert traits I can find in my child self were that I had a tendency not to talk to people I did not know (except other children), a strong tendency to be lost in my thoughts (I have always been known as the girl stuck in her bubble) and analyzing situations, social conventions, words (and misinterpreting some of them which was quite hilarious). And also, I prefered to interact with one person only - or younger children (and now, thinking about it, I'm wondering whether I am a repressed F or not).

I was pretty much bossy and loud sometimes, even had problem in nursery school because of that (I don't really remember, most of my memories are about my inner thoughts rather than my interactions with the world) and had to see a psychologist.

Intoverts are known to be generally quiet children. My brother was though he wasn't considered to be shy(and is less of an introvert now), but I still think that introversion does not oppose to being talkative sometimes. I don't know though.

It could be that I was developping my Ti as a child (though I'd argue that as a teenager, I was extremely emotional and naive and thinking inside the emotional box and strongly introvert) and needed to interact because of that since I did not have much access to books ? But to be honest, I've always enjoyed sharing my thoughts and knowledge with people, I am just more picky now than I used to be.

Any thoughts about that ?
    Feel no shame for what you are...

INTP
    5w4 or 5w6 sp/so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I find that some introverts tend to be more outgoing when young. Over time, when life ad people start "getting to them", they withdraw more. Introversion carries with it a fear of rejection (at least in some temperament theories), and once you learn how "dangerous" (at least, socially) the world can be, then the trypical introversion traits come out more.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I was definitely a talkative child, but as time progressed, I've become much more introverted. EricB's post is right on in my case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

While you would certainly posses traits as a child that are inherent to introversion/extraversion, I don't think an E or I preference can be discerned until during or after puberty.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I think a visible preference for introversion/extroversion doesn't typically emerge until later in childhood. Many people I knew were extremely talkative children, but ended up withdrawing as they aged, when social norms in communication became more important. Either that, or as they got older and aquired more knowledge of other people, they decided that they didn't like people, and withdrew.

That being said, I was a VERY talkative child. Not afraid to boss around other kids, not afraid to steamroller over the adults, or the kindergarden teacher. These days, I'm a pretty obvious introvert.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Inconnue View Post

Any thoughts about that ?
    I relate alot to what you said. I was alot more talkative as a child then I am now. I think because at the time my introversion was not fully developed so I was "trying" on extraversion. As I got older, I began to realize that talking wasn't as rewarding. People didn't seem all that interested in what I had to say and likewise, I wasn't always interested what others were talking about. I think what Eric says also makes sense, at least from my own experience.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

When I was a child, I was EXTREMELY quiet and shy, but nevertheless, I wanted to be around people all the time. Because of this I believe I was extroverted as a child. Now I'm very talkative around people I'm close to but I need a decent amount of alone or quiet time. Because of this I believe that I am introverted now. I normally test on the border of I/E.

MBTI
    TiNe
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Thank you everyone, it does make sense. I also realised that I mostly used "monologues" rather than real conversations which seems to be pretty common with talkative introverts.
    Feel no shame for what you are...

INTP
    5w4 or 5w6 sp/so

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I relate alot to what you said. I was alot more talkative as a child then I am now. I think because at the time my introversion was not fully developed so I was "trying" on extraversion. As I got older, I began to realize that talking wasn't as rewarding. People didn't seem all that interested in what I had to say and likewise, I wasn't always interested what others were talking about. I think what Eric says also makes sense, at least from my own experience.
    This.

My teachers always tried to get my mom to get me to be more outgoing and less shy. My mother couldn't believe it since I talked to her nonstop when I was with her.

I would talk your head off if someone let me discuss topics I was interested in (um...still do). I got a lot of rejection from adults because they thought my desire to discuss/inform them of these types of topics was weird in the extreme (how can you not want to talk about whether Europa really has water ocean underneath its surface?).

I wasn't really interested in talking to other kids very much...I thought there were mean.

And boring.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I find that some introverts tend to be more outgoing when young. Over time, when life ad people start "getting to them", they withdraw more. Introversion carries with it a fear of rejection (at least in some temperament theories), and once you learn how "dangerous" (at least, socially) the world can be, then the trypical introversion traits come out more.
    Could those who end up gravitating toward introversion as they age really be classified as true introverts? Being that there introversion is a result of nurture as opposed to nature, which suggests if circumstances in their childhood had different that they very well could've grown up to embrace that initial inclination toward extroversion more.