• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The "introverted extroverts" and the "extroverted introverts"

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've heard several rumors about which types are called this. I'd like to know the final verdict.

Which extroverted type is the introverted extrovert?

Which introverted type is the extroverted introvert?

And what exactly do these mean anyway?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i've mostly seen that isp's are the most extroverted introverts and enp's are the most introverted extroverts but i don't really buy it. i think it varies from person to person.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Introverted extrovert= whatever type I am. Extroverted introvert= whatever type those other people are who talk a whole bunch but need some quiet time afterwards ;)

I prefer the term ambivert for me, and all it means is that I'm a confusing and indecisive person :tongue:

But really... imagine that you are much more quiet and antisocial than the extraverted side of your type, and much more excitement-seeking and desiring of attention than the introverted side of your type... it's kind of tempting to just say that you're in the middle.

Then you get to the question of "just where do you get your energy?" "Ummm, externally, I think. But the external world sometimes annoys me. And where does Internet interaction fall into this?"

Then you start getting into functions. "If your ego orientation is extroverted, then you are an extrovert by type." "But then extraverted intuition can seem more introverted because it's directed toward the outer world but conceptually." "But then ENxPs are so often defined by being very excitable and talkative... there's gotta be more than this."

It's a big, big mess. And we're all on a spectrum. An introverted extravert would be in the middle of the spectrum and define oneself overall as a extravert by type but with a lot of stereotypical introverted tendencies. This is most common for ENxPs. An extraverted introvert would be the in the same middle but define oneself overall as an introvert by type but with a lot of stereotypically extraverted tendencies. I think I've seen this identification sometimes with ISFx's.

But this isn't a final verdict or anything, just a couple things I've picked up :tongue:

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yes, the strength of the I/E preference varies from person to person, and any type can be slight to extreme in their preference. However, when you look at surface behaviours or traits (acting sociable, or wanting to be amidst activity, or being introspective), that's where you get the "introverted extroverts" or "extroverted introverts" stuff. For example, an ISFJ would likely behave more sociably than an INTP who is just as introverted. Or, an ENFP might be more into self-examination than an ESTJ who is just as extraverted.

So if you look at cognitive functions (do they strongly prefer introverted or extraverted ones, or do they use both almost equally?) that preference is not type related. But if you look at common ideas of introverts and extraverts and try to type based on those, it does seem some types are far more likely to be confused than others. ENxPs often identify with some introverted traits and wonder if they are introverts, for example, even if their self-descriptions sound very extraverted to me.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I can see this just from general MBTI descriptions, certain types can get these labels.
Anyways, thanks for the replies everyone.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm an INFJ, but I sometimes think I was born an ENFJ and then somehow got trained to be an I. As I grow older, I become more and more of an E.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hm, well I think it depends on which definition of 'introvert/extrovert' you use, the cognitive function definition or the common street usage.

By common street usage, I think ENTJ and ENFP can seem introverted. ENTJ in a quiet but present way. ENFP in a flighty "for someone who likes people, you sure do stay at home a lot" way. I knw I can be ninja-ish for an extrovert but I know I'm an extrovert and not an introvert because I start getting really really loopy and feel a visceral need to socialize when I'm cooped up too long. I need lots of social and 'big world' interaction to keep all my levels up and feel 'even'. I need that interaction/outside world to activate myself.

I think for extroverted introverts, hmmm...that's harder to say.

Bobble

MBTI Type
xxxx
Enneagram
?
I'm both I/E. I spend most of my time introverted and alone or in my head and I could easily spend my life this way. On the other hand I have no problem socializing and have great communication skills. I never feel the need to be extroverted but I do enjoy it when I am.

I enjoy being center of attention but I need plenty of alone time. being extroverted is fun for a hobby or as a brief escape from the norm but nothing more then that. My extrovert side is not an act or a show. It's 100 percent me just turned outward. I enter a social situation and like a switch I just start interacting then when I leave I switch back.

darude11

MBTI Type
INTP
On intpforum we have been solving something, and then somebody said, that "INTP is mostly extroverted introvert and ENTP is mostly introverted extrovert." I don't know, if it solves yours problem, but if it solves, then discuss it!

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm definitely an introverted extravert: I usually get energized from being around people, and I'm comfortable in social situations, but eventually, I need a break. This doesn't usually last too long, though, so I find myself in a weird cycle where I'm hanging out with a whole bunch of people, then I take a break where I don't talk to anybody, then get bored and start hanging out with people again.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I would consider myself an introverted extrovert.

I have moments where i am out and about and fine with the attention, the chatting and i'm bouncing off peoples positive energy etc but i do enjoy coming home and being in my own company .. My kiddo told me today i don't have a life like its a bad thing.

I like balance.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think it varies from person to person.

Yes, the strength of the I/E preference varies from person to person, and any type can be slight to extreme in their preference. However, when you look at surface behaviours or traits (acting sociable, or wanting to be amidst activity, or being introspective), that's where you get the "introverted extroverts" or "extroverted introverts" stuff. For example, an ISFJ would likely behave more sociably than an INTP who is just as introverted. Or, an ENFP might be more into self-examination than an ESTJ who is just as extraverted.

So if you look at cognitive functions (do they strongly prefer introverted or extraverted ones, or do they use both almost equally?) that preference is not type related. But if you look at common ideas of introverts and extraverts and try to type based on those, it does seem some types are far more likely to be confused than others. ENxPs often identify with some introverted traits and wonder if they are introverts, for example, even if their self-descriptions sound very extraverted to me.

I agree with these posts.

Also, any human being is going to need some downtime or interaction with others; this doesn't make you an ambivert.

incomple...

MBTI Type
PINT
Hmm, I don't know. I can act like an extrovert when I feel comfortable, to the extent that some people even think I was an extrovert. Yet I need a lot of time for myself and this confuses people sometimes. I'm in the mood for meeting people quite often, but if I do that too often (i.e. more than maybe two or three times a week) I quickly feel exhausted and I just want to have my time alone.

Usurper

I think the whole Introvert/Extrovert thing is one of the weakest points of the MBTI, a person may be extroverted in some environments and introverted in other environments.