• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Appearing to be a different type than you are?

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, most of my friends say I come of as an NT, and I do tend to be a tad more pragmatic than most NFs do.

I originally tested as INTP, then INFP, then "emotionally unstable ENTP", then I basically self-typed as an ENFP. I realized I come off as an introvert but it's more to do with a lack of self-confidence than an actual preference.

How could you tell an emotionally unstable ENTP from a pragmatic ENFP?

I think I may just be over-thinking this, and besides most of the questions that test for a T preference have to do with valuing logic... I do value logic and see it as the most practical way of governing/ officially dealing with the world at large- just not the optimum one. I'm actually pretty sure I'm an ENFP... but why do i come off so xNTx?

How do I come off to you?

I didn't want this to be a 'type me' thread. Feel free to address any or all aspects of my long, rambling query(ies).

G

Ginkgo

Most people appear to be different types than they are under situations that would pressure them into adapting. If, for instance, you had a preference for Feeling but, as a male, felt you had to conform to a more Thinking geared intelligence and set of behaviors, then you might adopt the skills necessary to do so, regardless of whether your actual preference for F or T changed.

You say "emotionally unstable ENTP". Since there is no score for emotional stability on the MBTI, I'm guessing you assumed you were "emotionally unstable" because you scored moderate to high on the F dichotomy. Even if you were an ENTP, that wouldn't mean you're emotionally unstable.

In fact, "F" doesn't equate to emotions. It equates to values.

Just because you value logic doesn't mean you're an F or a T. It means you're you, and that's what's important. ;)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, most of my friends say I come of as an NT, and I do tend to be a tad more pragmatic than most NFs do.

I originally tested as INTP, then INFP, then "emotionally unstable ENTP", then I basically self-typed as an ENFP. I realized I come off as an introvert but it's more to do with a lack of self-confidence than an actual preference.

you scored I because you're dominant Intuition. Ne is an oximoronic function. theory cannot trully be extroverted, so ENFPs and ENTPs are really ambiverts

I think I may just be over-thinking this, and besides most of the questions that test for a T preference have to do with valuing logic... I do value logic and see it as the most practical way of governing/ officially dealing with the world at large- just not the optimum one. I'm actually pretty sure I'm an ENFP... but why do i come off so xNTx?

ENFPs use Te/Fi; ENTPs use Ti/Fe.
Fi: values, subjective analysis, vibes, convictions
Te: pragmatic and goal oriented. takes recources and organizes them into a plan of action. it's main objective is to get shit done as quickly as possible. Te also deals with emperical logic and action/consequence based thinking

Fe: deals with reading people emotions, feeling other people's emotions and affecting other people's emotions
Ti: deals with systems, technical framework and logical consistancy

when in an argument, these function pairing work in vastly different ways
Fi/Te: what's the problem? how do we fix the problem? what are our options? which option yields the most benefit for everyone involved? what is the right thing to do morally? does this plan have integrity?
Fe/Ti: is what the other person is saying logically consistant? how will this come across to other people? how will this effect other people? what does the group think?

How do I come off to you?

I didn't want this to be a 'type me' thread. Feel free to address any or all aspects of my long, rambling query(ies).

you come across as an ENFP. ENFPs have Ne and Te so they can seem like NTs. ENFPs are also among the most logical and least emotional of the feelers. ENFPs who have self control and have well developed Te are also extremely non-neurotic and highly rational. even when Te isn't very developed, Ne can still see "that doesn't make sense" "that wouldn't work because of this concept" "this would work because of that concept" "what if we did this and that would fix this problem?" being Ne doms makes our focus much less personal than other Fs.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
simplest thing i can think of is that ENFP extraverts N and T, unlike any other NF.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, NeTe is the "extraverted face" http://www.personalitypathways.com/faces.html.

Still, the Te is not going to be used the same way a TJ uses it. It will be less confident and mature, and have an element of vulnerability in it. It might even lead the ENFP to look up to the decisions of TJ types. It also associates with a "child"-like complex.

To say "I do value logic and see it as the most practical way of governing/ officially dealing with the world at large" sounds like a natural preference; not a tertiary (not even an "inflated" one or "tertiary temptation") "-just not the optimum one" would fit it being secondary (auxiliary) to something else. In this case, Ne. That would be the ego's "optimum", not Feeling.

So does that make sense? Is impersonal logic preferred over personal values? Is iNtuition the only thing that comes before logic? (And in your natural, unstressed state).
That's what would determine it.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You say "emotionally unstable ENTP". Since there is no score for emotional stability on the MBTI, I'm guessing you assumed you were "emotionally unstable" because you scored moderate to high on the F dichotomy. Even if you were an ENTP, that wouldn't mean you're emotionally unstable.

In fact, "F" doesn't equate to emotions. It equates to values.

Just because you value logic doesn't mean you're an F or a T. It means you're you, and that's what's important. ;)

I actually don't know why the test I took defined me as "emotionally unstable" :shrug: I think it had to do with me answering yes to the passion/volatility questions and no to the... squishy... ones. I guess the test equated passion+emotions as symptoms of Fi, though that's actually a pretty convoluted way of looking at it...

wolfy

awsm

First you'd separate T and F from emotionally unstable and pragmatic. Then just reflect, and take a stab at it. What if you're emotionally unstable and pragmatic. For example, you throw tools when working on the car.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
when in an argument, these function pairing work in vastly different ways
Fi/Te: what's the problem? how do we fix the problem? what are our options? which option yields the most benefit for everyone involved? what is the right thing to do morally? does this plan have integrity?
Fe/Ti: is what the other person is saying logically consistant? how will this come across to other people? how will this effect other people? what does the group think?

I think I may be ENFP because I relate more to the first style of argument. I usually start coming up with as many possible solutions as possible, then take other peoples solutions, then poke at all the potential flaws in everyone's solutions, then pick the one that's best and most ethical. I think the reason that I'm questioning my type is that I don't really choose the most ethical one because of my moral principles- though I'd feel guilty about it later- but because following an ethical code is actually the logical/pragmatic thing to do because generally speaking it comes back to bite you if you don't.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That sounds like Thinking preference, in which Feeling is vulnerable. The Feeling considerations are more defensive (such as against guilt), but meanwhile, it is really logic making the actual decisions. That would stem from Feeling being less conscious, and Thinking being more conscious.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
That sounds like Thinking preference, in which Feeling is vulnerable. The Feeling considerations are more defensive (such as against guilt), but meanwhile, it is really logic making the actual decisions. That would stem from Feeling being less conscious, and Thinking being more conscious.
Yep, exactly. I'm the opposite - I often do the 'right thing' even though I know it's pointless, or has a very very small chance of making a difference (ie. doesn't outweigh the effort to put in.) 'Cause if I don't, I'll keep thinking about it and sometimes even run back to do it. Although I'm getting better at leaving things. Just instantly forget, and it's all fine.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First you'd separate T and F from emotionally unstable and pragmatic. Then just reflect, and take a stab at it. What if you're emotionally unstable and pragmatic. For example, you throw tools when working on the car.

I do actually 0.0