Thread: Temperaments?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Question Temperaments?

Okay, so I've heard of the Temperament theory/system with Sanguine, Melancholy, Phlegmatic, and Choleric. I also know what Keirsey's version of the correlations to his system.

I took an online test, and I got Sanguine Choleric. That seemed to keep well with Keirsey's observations, as ENFPs are said to often appear like SPs, superficially. I'm no Sunburst, but I was willing to go along with it.

Then I took another test, and got Sanguine Melancholy, and the site's descriptions of Melancholy and Choleric were completely different from all I had heard before T.T

Can you be Sanguine, with balanced elements Choleric and Melancholy? What are your experiences with this system? Can you refer me to a better test/system or other resource?

Thank you for your help and time!
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

My friend sent me this description, and it seemed pretty accurate

B. SanMel (IC) are highly emotional people whose moods can fluctuate from highs to lows and back again quickly. The sanguine outgoing nature often allows the melancholy's critical nature "out" too easily. It is very easy for a sanmel to "get down" on themselves and, to realize their potential, it is best if they work with others.

Where as this was a bit off...

. SanChlor (ID) is the strongest extrovert of all the blends because both primary types are extroverted. They are people-oriented and enthusiastic but with the resolutions of the choleric tempering the lack of organization of the Sanguine. He is almost always a sports enthusiast and is ideal in sales. He can talk too much and can be obnoxious if threatened. The forgetfulness of the sanguine and the caustic nature of the choleric may make them hurtful without realizing it.

Yet, when I read the descriptions I relate more to pure Choleric than pure Melancholy. Urgh... confusing.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

My experience has been that I thought I was a mixture, then realized that I'm pure phlegm,

Maybe you need to try to narrow it down a little and reassess yourself.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

The Sanguine aspect of ENFP is not Keirsey's temperament, but rather the Interaction Style: ENP. ENTP is the SanChlor, though Keirsey did claim the NF was Choleric. That was based purely on its "emotionality", where theories using the ancient temperaments defined Choleric in a completely different manner. It's aggressive and task-focused. That would actually fit NT (pragmatic/structure-focused) better.

The SanMel is ESFJ, and Keirsey/Berens would agree, as SJ is what they have identified as Melancholic. (The Sanguine aspect of that type is ESF).

In this method, the order of the temperaments is not based on strengths, but rather the different areas of interaction. Interaction Styles is social skills, and the Keirsey temperaments are action/leadership skills ("conation"). So really, you're all two (or three; see below) temperaments equally, though the social skills temperament is generally the most visible; the first thing others encounter, and thus tending to fit the "dominant" or "strongest" on in those "humour" tests.

The description your friend sent you was from http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Warfield2.html (Which also correlates the temperaments and Interaction Styles (and corresponding DISC) the way I do, with NF as Phlegmatic. Here's another one: http://fourtemperaments.com/15patterns.htm).

So if you're ENFP, then would this one from that site happen to fit better, or at least at all?

C. SanPhleg (IS) The overpowering outgoing nature of the sanguine is tempered by the gracious phlegmatic. These are extremely happy and carefree individuals who live to help people. They would not purposely hurt anyone but they must fight a lack of workplace motivation - they would rather visit than work.

If not, then would any of these happen to fit?

http://www.pastoral-counseling-cente...ne-control.htm
    http://www.pastoral-counseling-cente...ic-control.htm

This is a version of the theory that adds a fifth temperament, and that might be what NF fits, if not Phlegmatic. It could also be a blend of the two. "Control" is what seems to fit Keirsey's temperaments. (there's also a third area of interaction, as well).
    So if someone doesn't identify as Phlegmatic (which is the slow, non-energized one), they may fit this other, similar temperament, that is nevertheless as energized as the others.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    Okay, so I've heard of the Temperament theory/system with Sanguine, Melancholy, Phlegmatic, and Choleric. I also know what Keirsey's version of the correlations to his system.

I took an online test, and I got Sanguine Choleric. That seemed to keep well with Keirsey's observations, as ENFPs are said to often appear like SPs, superficially. I'm no Sunburst, but I was willing to go along with it.

Then I took another test, and got Sanguine Melancholy, and the site's descriptions of Melancholy and Choleric were completely different from all I had heard before T.T

Can you be Sanguine, with balanced elements Choleric and Melancholy? What are your experiences with this system? Can you refer me to a better test/system or other resource?

Thank you for your help and time!
    I don't really like the tests on this. There is a book on it, a basic one, out there. (Shoot, what's it called?) Anyway, it's floating around and I like that one better. I think you can be a combination of three. I personally identify as a sanguine/phleg/choleric
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

The premier book on the Galen temperaments are LaHaye's works. (what he was into before the Left Behind series). Spirit Controlled Temperament and Why You Act the Way You Do. I don't know if others like Eysenck or Steiner had books on them, but I don't think they recognized the blends.

Yeah, most of these tests (including LaHaye) just ask you to pick traits out of a list, and that's not really the best way to determine temperament. Too many variables, and temperament is really about the motivations behind the behaviors (like type theory and the cognitive functions). The way I've been using the five temperament system also has been about picking the traits from those reports, but in actuality, it's really a specialized version of the FIRO-B, which is a professional questionnaire. That to me is the best one, but it costs.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    The Sanguine aspect of ENFP is not Keirsey's temperament, but rather the Interaction Style: ENP. ENTP is the SanChlor, though Keirsey did claim the NF was Choleric. That was based purely on its "emotionality", where theories using the ancient temperaments defined Choleric in a completely different manner. It's aggressive and task-focused. That would actually fit NT (pragmatic/structure-focused) better.

The SanMel is ESFJ, and Keirsey/Berens would agree, as SJ is what they have identified as Melancholic. (The Sanguine aspect of that type is ESF).

In this method, the order of the temperaments is not based on strengths, but rather the different areas of interaction. Interaction Styles is social skills, and the Keirsey temperaments are action/leadership skills ("conation"). So really, you're all two (or three; see below) temperaments equally, though the social skills temperament is generally the most visible; the first thing others encounter, and thus tending to fit the "dominant" or "strongest" on in those "humour" tests.

The description your friend sent you was from http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Warfield2.html (Which also correlates the temperaments and Interaction Styles (and corresponding DISC) the way I do, with NF as Phlegmatic. Here's another one: http://fourtemperaments.com/15patterns.htm).

So if you're ENFP, then would this one from that site happen to fit better, or at least at all?

C. SanPhleg (IS) The overpowering outgoing nature of the sanguine is tempered by the gracious phlegmatic. These are extremely happy and carefree individuals who live to help people. They would not purposely hurt anyone but they must fight a lack of workplace motivation - they would rather visit than work.

If not, then would any of these happen to fit?

http://www.pastoral-counseling-cente...ic-control.htm

This is a version of the theory that adds a fifth temperament, and that might be what NF fits, if not Phlegmatic. It could also be a blend of the two. "Control" is what seems to fit Keirsey's temperaments. (there's also a third area of interaction, as well).
    So if someone doesn't identify as Phlegmatic (which is the slow, non-energized one), they may fit this other, similar temperament, that is nevertheless as energized as the others.
    Lol none of these fit much at all. I can sort of relate but not really.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    My experience has been that I thought I was a mixture, then realized that I'm pure phlegm,

Maybe you need to try to narrow it down a little and reassess yourself.
    Maybe you're right lol.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

In light of all this, I've come to the conclusion that it just depends on the system you use. I'm not going to stress over it lol and if anyone asks I'm just going to go with sanguine.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    In light of all this, I've come to the conclusion that it just depends on the system you use. I'm not going to stress over it lol and if anyone asks I'm just going to go with sanguine.
    haha, that's the spirit
    5 3 9