• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Temperaments?

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, so I've heard of the Temperament theory/system with Sanguine, Melancholy, Phlegmatic, and Choleric. I also know what Keirsey's version of the correlations to his system.

I took an online test, and I got Sanguine Choleric. That seemed to keep well with Keirsey's observations, as ENFPs are said to often appear like SPs, superficially. I'm no Sunburst, but I was willing to go along with it.

Then I took another test, and got Sanguine Melancholy, and the site's descriptions of Melancholy and Choleric were completely different from all I had heard before T.T

Can you be Sanguine, with balanced elements Choleric and Melancholy? What are your experiences with this system? Can you refer me to a better test/system or other resource?

Thank you for your help and time!

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My friend sent me this description, and it seemed pretty accurate

B. SanMel (IC) are highly emotional people whose moods can fluctuate from highs to lows and back again quickly. The sanguine outgoing nature often allows the melancholy's critical nature "out" too easily. It is very easy for a sanmel to "get down" on themselves and, to realize their potential, it is best if they work with others.

Where as this was a bit off...

. SanChlor (ID) is the strongest extrovert of all the blends because both primary types are extroverted. They are people-oriented and enthusiastic but with the resolutions of the choleric tempering the lack of organization of the Sanguine. He is almost always a sports enthusiast and is ideal in sales. He can talk too much and can be obnoxious if threatened. The forgetfulness of the sanguine and the caustic nature of the choleric may make them hurtful without realizing it.

Yet, when I read the descriptions I relate more to pure Choleric than pure Melancholy. Urgh... confusing.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My experience has been that I thought I was a mixture, then realized that I'm pure phlegm, :ack!:

Maybe you need to try to narrow it down a little and reassess yourself.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Sanguine aspect of ENFP is not Keirsey's temperament, but rather the Interaction Style: ENP. ENTP is the SanChlor, though Keirsey did claim the NF was Choleric. That was based purely on its "emotionality", where theories using the ancient temperaments defined Choleric in a completely different manner. It's aggressive and task-focused. That would actually fit NT (pragmatic/structure-focused) better.

The SanMel is ESFJ, and Keirsey/Berens would agree, as SJ is what they have identified as Melancholic. (The Sanguine aspect of that type is ESF).

In this method, the order of the temperaments is not based on strengths, but rather the different areas of interaction. Interaction Styles is social skills, and the Keirsey temperaments are action/leadership skills ("conation"). So really, you're all two (or three; see below) temperaments equally, though the social skills temperament is generally the most visible; the first thing others encounter, and thus tending to fit the "dominant" or "strongest" on in those "humour" tests.

The description your friend sent you was from http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Warfield2.html (Which also correlates the temperaments and Interaction Styles (and corresponding DISC) the way I do, with NF as Phlegmatic. Here's another one: http://fourtemperaments.com/15patterns.htm).

So if you're ENFP, then would this one from that site happen to fit better, or at least at all?

C. SanPhleg (IS) The overpowering outgoing nature of the sanguine is tempered by the gracious phlegmatic. These are extremely happy and carefree individuals who live to help people. They would not purposely hurt anyone but they must fight a lack of workplace motivation - they would rather visit than work.

If not, then would any of these happen to fit?

http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Control/supine-control.htm
http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Control/supine-phlegmatic-control.htm
http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Control/phlegmatic-supine-control.htm

This is a version of the theory that adds a fifth temperament, and that might be what NF fits, if not Phlegmatic. It could also be a blend of the two. "Control" is what seems to fit Keirsey's temperaments. (there's also a third area of interaction, as well).
So if someone doesn't identify as Phlegmatic (which is the slow, non-energized one), they may fit this other, similar temperament, that is nevertheless as energized as the others.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, so I've heard of the Temperament theory/system with Sanguine, Melancholy, Phlegmatic, and Choleric. I also know what Keirsey's version of the correlations to his system.

I took an online test, and I got Sanguine Choleric. That seemed to keep well with Keirsey's observations, as ENFPs are said to often appear like SPs, superficially. I'm no Sunburst, but I was willing to go along with it.

Then I took another test, and got Sanguine Melancholy, and the site's descriptions of Melancholy and Choleric were completely different from all I had heard before T.T

Can you be Sanguine, with balanced elements Choleric and Melancholy? What are your experiences with this system? Can you refer me to a better test/system or other resource?

Thank you for your help and time!

I don't really like the tests on this. There is a book on it, a basic one, out there. (Shoot, what's it called?) Anyway, it's floating around and I like that one better. I think you can be a combination of three. I personally identify as a sanguine/phleg/choleric

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The premier book on the Galen temperaments are LaHaye's works. (what he was into before the Left Behind series). Spirit Controlled Temperament and Why You Act the Way You Do. I don't know if others like Eysenck or Steiner had books on them, but I don't think they recognized the blends.

Yeah, most of these tests (including LaHaye) just ask you to pick traits out of a list, and that's not really the best way to determine temperament. Too many variables, and temperament is really about the motivations behind the behaviors (like type theory and the cognitive functions). The way I've been using the five temperament system also has been about picking the traits from those reports, but in actuality, it's really a specialized version of the FIRO-B, which is a professional questionnaire. That to me is the best one, but it costs.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Sanguine aspect of ENFP is not Keirsey's temperament, but rather the Interaction Style: ENP. ENTP is the SanChlor, though Keirsey did claim the NF was Choleric. That was based purely on its "emotionality", where theories using the ancient temperaments defined Choleric in a completely different manner. It's aggressive and task-focused. That would actually fit NT (pragmatic/structure-focused) better.

The SanMel is ESFJ, and Keirsey/Berens would agree, as SJ is what they have identified as Melancholic. (The Sanguine aspect of that type is ESF).

In this method, the order of the temperaments is not based on strengths, but rather the different areas of interaction. Interaction Styles is social skills, and the Keirsey temperaments are action/leadership skills ("conation"). So really, you're all two (or three; see below) temperaments equally, though the social skills temperament is generally the most visible; the first thing others encounter, and thus tending to fit the "dominant" or "strongest" on in those "humour" tests.

The description your friend sent you was from http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Warfield2.html (Which also correlates the temperaments and Interaction Styles (and corresponding DISC) the way I do, with NF as Phlegmatic. Here's another one: http://fourtemperaments.com/15patterns.htm).

So if you're ENFP, then would this one from that site happen to fit better, or at least at all?

C. SanPhleg (IS) The overpowering outgoing nature of the sanguine is tempered by the gracious phlegmatic. These are extremely happy and carefree individuals who live to help people. They would not purposely hurt anyone but they must fight a lack of workplace motivation - they would rather visit than work.

If not, then would any of these happen to fit?

http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Control/supine-control.htm
http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Control/supine-phlegmatic-control.htm
http://www.pastoral-counseling-center.org/Temperament-Area-of-Control/phlegmatic-supine-control.htm

This is a version of the theory that adds a fifth temperament, and that might be what NF fits, if not Phlegmatic. It could also be a blend of the two. "Control" is what seems to fit Keirsey's temperaments. (there's also a third area of interaction, as well).
So if someone doesn't identify as Phlegmatic (which is the slow, non-energized one), they may fit this other, similar temperament, that is nevertheless as energized as the others.

Lol none of these fit much at all. I can sort of relate but not really.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My experience has been that I thought I was a mixture, then realized that I'm pure phlegm, :ack!:

Maybe you need to try to narrow it down a little and reassess yourself.

Maybe you're right lol.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In light of all this, I've come to the conclusion that it just depends on the system you use. I'm not going to stress over it lol and if anyone asks I'm just going to go with sanguine.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In light of all this, I've come to the conclusion that it just depends on the system you use. I'm not going to stress over it lol and if anyone asks I'm just going to go with sanguine.

haha, that's the spirit :D :hifive:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol none of these fit much at all. I can sort of relate but not really.
OK, I just saw you other thread, and you weren't certain of your MBTI type, even. You mentioned all three other NP types, including ENTP.

Even though others said you seem ENFP, from these two threads, you sound like you could be ENTP to me, which would fit SanChlor. They also come out SanMel sometimes, because Melancholy is close to Choleric (the difference is in the expressivenes), and a lot of people probably won't identify with Choleric because of its negative side, which often gets emphasized. (And on this principle; I imagine they might also come out pure Sanguine as well).

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I did consider ENTP, and it's certainly plausible. Because I'm an Enneagram 4w3 it's hard to tell how much Fi I actually use. I could kind of go either way. I'm trying to figure it out through determining if I use Te or Ti more... someone told me that Te needs to think out loud, which I generally prefer, but someone else said that that's basically true of all extraverts. In a typical NP fashion, I'm very uncertain...

What I wonder though if if my being a different temperament than most ENFPs would explain why I resemble an ENTP, or if it indicates that I actually AM ENTP.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
See other thread. I think there's more evidence there for a T preference.

That "think out loud" bit I'm leary of (it was once used on me by someone trying to make me an ENFP). I think part of that might simply be Ne. It's technically not "thinking", but it still is an outward directed form of cognition, and it explores the possibilities with others.