User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Default Can any type be "Alpha male"/natural leaders?

I've noticed that this seem to vary a lot.
    You don't just find ENTJs and ENFJs in there...
    I've seen ESTPs, ENTPs, ENTJs, ENFPs, ESFPs, ESTJs, ESFJs and a lot of isolated incidents with other types.
    Hell i've even seen fairly alpha ISxPs. You know in that quiet cowboy way?

What do you think makes or breaks if someone is alpha or not?
    Can any type be that alpha male natural leader that takes place in a room?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    haha yes!

in terms of making a leader, i think a lot of it is self-assurance, and efficacy. people look to people who appear to have their shit together.

and sometimes it's just willingness to be the leader... in a bizarre twist of events, i've become the "leader of the pack" for my old group of high school friends. i can't figure it out... i don't know why i would be a focal point, really. the best conclusion i've come to is that it's just because i'm the one who's willing to put in the legwork to gather everyone together. and perhaps that i've held a lot of leadership positions in school, so i default to that role. though i never really thought of myself as alpha by nature - and i prefer beta, all things considered - and you'd think my enneatype would contradict it, too... but here i am.

in terms of breaking it... i think one of the things that really breaks a leader is getting too full of themselves. some people just radiate "inflated head" from the get-go, and those people end up being free agents more than leaders, because others can tell and who would put trust in that? (and i don't mean that in an e3 way, i mean it more in a "i know everything" kind of way.) but others get that way eventually, after they've gained alpha status, and that's when they get stupid... they don't respect their leadership position anymore so they behave as if it doesn't matter... and things fall apart for them. you see it with politicians all the time. they stay on top of their game running for office, then they get comfy in office, then they get caught fucking their secretary in the fountain outside their office building in broad daylight and shit hits the fan.

in terms of smaller scenarios, like just in a room of people, i think it may easily depend on who has the strongest agenda, and who's willing to speak up first. there's this funny rule of thumb that in general if you appear to know what you're doing, people tend not to question you... so like enneagram 3s have a natural advantage there, they're experts at appearing... and then 8s of course may tend to be leaders if they want control more than anyone else wants it.

yeah, i think so. even INFPs and ISFJs, notoriously gentle, have their situations in which they can be dominant. my ISFJ grandma rules the roost in her home. it's like unspoken discipline.

i also know an ENFJ 3 who is very alpha.

but the other question is... does every type want to be? i'm guessing E and J types have a greater drive to be in charge, in general.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I've noticed that this seem to vary a lot.
    You don't just find ENTJs and ENFJs in there...
    I've seen ESTPs, ENTPs, ENTJs, ENFPs, ESFPs, ESTJs, ESFJs and a lot of isolated incidents with other types.

From the types you have listed the leaders of the pack seem to be mainly extroverted Js or people whose primary function is Ne, the visionary types. Also ESTPs seem like the born leaders, the primary Se that knows how to take charge combined with the fearless T. That might explain why ISTPs are also attracted to leadership, they are the ESTPs' cool-headed cousins and stay calm and collected in the midst of trouble.

INFJs are also sometimes described as natural leaders (Ni vision of the future combined with people-skilled Fe and J that wants to get things done), I can see that though I personally only lead when no one else is around to do the job, I can get very bossy when stressed and am a much nicer human being when doing my own thing or following someone else's lead.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

http://eqi.org/mgtpaper.htm

Any one can potentially lead. It's related to emotional intelligence.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so

Followers wait for initiative.
    Leaders just wait on followers.

Even as an INTJ, I've been a willing and even enthusiastic leader in lots of contexts. I think a factor that's being overlooked is confidence in your abilities to complete the specific task at hand. Some people are born leaders in any context, but people of non-traditional "leader" types can be effective and inspiring leaders for tasks within their sphere of ability and confidence.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

ThatGirl

Depends are we talking alpha A or alpha B. There is a huge difference.

You guys didn't think you would get away with a thread on Alphas without that did you?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

alpha male is NOT the same as a natural leader, even disregarding the inherent sexism.

So which one do you mean?
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Anyone can lead, I believe this is true with everything I have. (Though, how well they lead, this is another story..)

However.. I don't think everyone is cut out for the alpha-male personality. Thank God. While I'm not sure about the rest of the world, we could use a little less of it in America. We're always one spilled-drink, shoe-scuff, or bumped shoulder away from nuclear warfare.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    alpha male is NOT the same as a natural leader, even disregarding the inherent sexism.

So which one do you mean?
    This is the very first thing that came to mind when I read this thread.