• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can any type be "Alpha male"/natural leaders?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I consider motivation to achieve this alpha male status the most important factor. This motivation is stronger in some types than others. I don't like telling people what they should be doing like most EXTJs, I don't feel the need to bang multiple women as most EXSPs, I don't need as much attention as most ENXPs. The point is being alpha helps with all those needs. It gets a lot trickier with introverts, as their need for space is usually higher than the need to exert dominance for whatever reason behind.

Jaguar

I just wanted to say that TG made it exactly 22 hours and 3 minutes before she posted in a thread about Alphas.

Clearly, I must not have visited the threads where she demonstrates a preoccupation with baboons that smell like cookies.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i suppose anyone can be an alpha, depending on what social group we are speaking of. an istp might be the alpha role in the karate world, for instance, whereas an infp would be in the artist world. it depends on what characteristics embody the ideal in that role. I also disagree that alpha means natural leader. Certainly not. Alphas are generally too average for my tastes. They encompass characteristics that generally appeal to the average, to the largest genre of people, and appeal to me is generally specialized.

I personally don't like the term "alpha male". Either gender can play an alpha role. :dry:

I'm so unsocial that I usually ignore social groups and rules anyways. I prefer more free existences. I dislike hierarchies, and ignore them, for the most part. Honestly, I've rarely ever been in a social group where there WAS an alpha male. I usually don't like them, or agree on social rankings, so I don't choose to be there. If I am there, I don't respect the social heirarchy or give half a shit.

I have trouble believing that there is such a thing as an alpha male irl.... I think when people create hierarchies where there is one, then there is, but that doesn't mean I agree on it or am likely to join in. I think it's pretty much a bunch of fucking bologna.

The only place I respect any hierarchies is when I am employed. Other than that, it doesn't exist to me.

Last edited:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alpha male does not translate well to humans. A natural leader translates well to humans. If we're talking large groups, a natural leader is one who is not only willing to take on all the responsibilities of being in charge but can easily get BOTH men and women to respect him/her and willingly follow him/her. Getting both men and women to follow is quite tricky. Very few people can do it from what I've seen and if they do it will usually be short-lived.

I don't believe the notion that an alpha male doesn't have to do anything, that he just "is". Even if you're not conscious of it, he has proven himself somehow against the others. Perhaps through skills, demeanor, heroic deeds, physical size, bravery, confidence, or drive, etc.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
alpha male is NOT the same as a natural leader, even disregarding the inherent sexism.

So which one do you mean?

Yes. Educate him on the question you want to answer.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I consider motivation to achieve this alpha male status the most important factor. This motivation is stronger in some types than others. I don't like telling people what they should be doing like most EXTJs, I don't feel the need to bang multiple women as most EXSPs, I don't need as much attention as most ENXPs. The point is being alpha helps with all those needs. It gets a lot trickier with introverts, as their need for space is usually higher than the need to exert dominance for whatever reason behind.

wrong, desire for these things makes one LESS alpha. in fact, I almost all of the trully alpha men I know are introverts. being alpha male is about doing your thing regardless of what others think and not being affected by them. it is the absolute absence of submission to the will of others.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
wrong, desire for these things makes one LESS alpha. in fact, I almost all of the trully alpha men I know are introverts. being alpha male is about doing your thing regardless of what others think and not being affected by them. it is the absolute absence of submission to the will of others.
I admit I explained it poorly.:blush:
Altough I believe anyone with a conscious motivation and confidence (which can be gained as well) can achieve alpha status, the motivation I talked about is mostly unconscious.
You probably have a different alpha concept than I do. I consider alpha the guys that are leading people, and beta the ones being led. When you aren't around people too much, you aren't leading and being led as much. Confidence is just a factor. And by the way, between humans, real alphas are expected to take care of the group's need, and not to be a parasite.
Nonetheless, if you are assuming being alpha equals doing your thing and not being affected by other people, then I agree with you, as introverts are more likely to be neither leading or being led, unlike non-alpha extroverts, which will be being led more often.
I was avoiding mentioning that because things would get pretty chaotic, but in the end, alphaness is a totally relative concept. The guy I call alpha could be classified as beta in interactions with his bosses, his parents, or really anyone more dominant than him, and it's common and natural. Picture a guy that is the leader among his friends but is the janitor of a enterprise. Do you think he will be displaying a dominant behaviour around his boss? I'm not saying he will lose his confidence, but I doubt he will be dominant if he wants to keep the job. Which makes the boss the alpha in the situation. Same thing may happen when my alpha buddy is competing for a woman with Brad Pitt, my friend will likely get beta around him.

MiasmaResonance

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am an INTP (though I have been questioning that) and I do enjoy taking charge of situations. Especially in social situations that involve either my interests or just myself in general. I tried to deny this part of me before, but I really can't do that anymore. :dry:

Wasting my time being led to do something I hate just isn't appealing anymore, you know?

I have organized two events recently, for things I am interested in. One has upwards of 40 guests (how did THAT happen), and I have a lot of work to do. I'm also going to give a speech before the event happens, among other things. Since it's something I care about, it's no issue for me to take charge and get things done. No one else was taking the initiative, so why not me?

In any other situation, I would go with the flow. Unless it was something that affected my well being or future in any way. Then I would take charge.

Note that I am a female. I take the "alpha male" as a description of a type, and not literally.

So really, it depends. Can any type be a natural leader? Maybe, but I do know that I am an INTP (a type not known for leadership quality), and I quite naturally fill the role of leader in certain situations.