User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Apocalypticism

MBTI
    INFP

Some apocalypticism is escapist fantasy, for people dissatisfied with the parameters of their existence and wishing for a fresh start not only for them but for the world. Not a different card, but a fresh shuffle and new hand. Some people see it as as way of simplifying their problems into more immediate, easily-overcome ones, like not getting eaten by zombies.

Yeah, there are a lot of different kinds of apocalypticism.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Yeah, your remark ends up raising a good point: sometimes the people you'd least expect it from are the most apocalyptic once you stick around & really listen to them. I've been around ESFPs & ESFJs etc who'll start talking & just spit the craziest, most ridiculous apocalyptic theories, though usually more oriented around religious escapism & herd-panic involving a lot of stuff they've heard other people say (think Glenn Beck)... using the cognitive-function model I guess you could explain it as the stressed-out wild flailing of inferior intuitive & thinking functions-- which is interesting in light of how people with superior abilities in those areas can be equally apocalyptic but in different form (lone paranoia etc).
    Agreed. Intelligence is not a relevant factor in this. Maybe it's a general sense of emotional unease or anxiety, that then is filtered through one's intellect, which causes one to accept any theory that eases or makes sense of it. So irrational fear is turned into an idea that is in-line with one's value and belief system.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Some apocalypticism is escapist fantasy, for people dissatisfied with the parameters of their existence and wishing for a fresh start not only for them but for the world. Not a different card, but a fresh shuffle and new hand.
    Maybe it isn't as simple as that though. I mean, I think there might be other needed parameters other than dissatisfaction. You never hear of crazy suicide-cult groups or mass political-conspiracy-movements (e.g the Tea Party thing, Lyndon Larouche etc) coming up in the third world, like the slums of Bombay. I guess because people who are REALLY dissatisfied are more occupied with trying not to starve or be killed by paramilitaries etc.

So maybe, since they're always busy they don't have TIME to be dissatisfied, i.e. maybe 'dissatisfaction' is a condition of leisure. But in either case, I think there's a particular kind of strangeness in one's living environment that is necessary for true apocalypticism. Like the way America & Western Euope are so bureaucratic & there's so much plenitude, yet happiness is objectively difficult to achieve for so many people.

Obviously, apocalypticism is a very intriguing subject to me.
    Glenn Beck for prez! jk

INFJs are pretty prone to that. Am speaking from experience, INFJs are future thinkers and there are SO MANY possibilities how a situation could go wrong. I sometimes have to tell my brain to STFU and to just take things as they come.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Yeah, INFJs seem like by far the most balanced of both INs & IFs, & they don't seem to get out of control unless something really awful happens to them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

lol

Wel he was a failed artist right?

Just a very senstive guy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I still don't believe he was an INFJ. (John Beebe suggested he was an ISxJ manifesting "Demonic" Ni!)
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas