• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do people think of ISFPs?

ItsAlwaysSunny

MBTI Type
IDK
I've read that we are the most invisible type and I haven't seen many threads about ISFPs so I was just wondering if people even have an opinion or not? Do people even know enough ISFPs to have an opinion on them?

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I would probably not be fond of them if I met them, based on the reading of one description. I'm not a big fan of competition or id, which, according to typelogic, is something you people have in abundance. Additionally, they are the functional shadow-anima of INTPs or whatever a person might call it when you both share none of my functions and keep them in backwards order. The famous people look like some of my least favorite famous people: Britney Spears, Ashton Kutcher, Donald Trump, Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney (my second least favorite beatle, after ringo, but probably not a bad guy, I guess), Dan Quayle (based solely on his wikipedia page, I wasn't alive when he was big).

Nothing against you personally, I haven't even met you yet.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do, and my opinion of them is that they are individuals, just like people of every other type. Some are more likable than others, of course. I generally get along with ISFPs pretty well because of the whole Fi thing, I think. I know an ISFP guy right now and he's very easy going, but also very honest. He's easy to get along with and chill and puts things into perspective, but he can also get really upset or mad about things and will act out rather than speaking. It may be because of his age (he's the younger brother of one of my roommates) but he'd rather knock things over than talk about it. He's so sweet though, like it's not even scary when he does, it's not like anger problem stuff, it's just like 17-18 year old boy who has strong feelings and doesn't necessarily express himself well verbally.

:shrug:

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I've read that we are the most invisible type and I haven't seen many threads about ISFPs so I was just wondering if people even have an opinion or not? Do people even know enough ISFPs to have an opinion on them?

As Marm alluded to it's important to see them as a group of individuals. I tend to like the ones I know.

... The famous people look like some of my least favorite famous people: Britney Spears, Ashton Kutcher, Donald Trump, Michael Jackson,...

Public personas vary, but I don't imagine these people as ISFP. Spears and Kutcher seem rather extroverted (again, may be persona), Donald Trump doesn't seem at all like the ISFP stereotype, Jackson could be right, though. Don't know anything about Beatles or Quayle to comment.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The famous people look like some of my least favorite famous people: Britney Spears, Ashton Kutcher, Donald Trump, Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney (my second least favorite beatle, after ringo, but probably not a bad guy, I guess), Dan Quayle (based solely on his wikipedia page, I wasn't alive when he was big).

Ashton Kutcher is awesome and adorable (and I thought he was also hot once upon a time) and Paul McCartney seems so sweet. It's weird to me that people wouldn't like them.

I can see getting annoyed with Britney Spears or Michael Jackson, but they both seem harmless enough, just mentally ill, not necessarily indicative of being ISFP.

Donald Trump I could totally do without. It's very odd to me that he's even ISFP. He must be like the most evil ISFP on the planet.

And, as always, Jared Leto is my imaginary boyfriend. :heart:

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I like ISFPs in general. I don't understand them much, but my ISFP friend is the most encouraging, willing-to-listen-to-you person ever! She seems lost in her own world most of the times, and she does the most naive things concerning relationships (and gets walked all over), but she has a very good heart, is very caring and is very easy to be around.

To me, ISFPs seem like light, floaty, sensitive, sunshine beings :D They don't have a dark side that Ns do. They don't have the intense, burning Fe that can be smothering. When I think of ISFPs I see an image of a glass of clear water with a drop of floral scent thrown in, sitting on a white table with mother nature's wild mountains as a backdrop on a windy afternoon. If that makes sense at all :blush:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
They don't have a dark side that Ns do.

The rest of your description is very nice, but I don't think this sentence is true at all.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Well, number one, all humans have a dark side. Number two, having a dark side has nothing to do with being S or N. And three...a super-quick perusal of punk music and the entire emo scene will help you to see otherwise.

ItsAlwaysSunny

MBTI Type
IDK
I would probably not be fond of them if I met them, based on the reading of one description. I'm not a big fan of competition or id, which, according to typelogic, is something you people have in abundance. Additionally, they are the functional shadow-anima of INTPs or whatever a person might call it when you both share none of my functions and keep them in backwards order. The famous people look like some of my least favorite famous people: Britney Spears, Ashton Kutcher, Donald Trump, Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney (my second least favorite beatle, after ringo, but probably not a bad guy, I guess), Dan Quayle (based solely on his wikipedia page, I wasn't alive when he was big).

Nothing against you personally, I haven't even met you yet.

I'm not taking it personally. The celebrities you mentioned were interesting because I actually like all of their personalities (except for Donald Trump who I highly doubt is an ISFP). I'm not sure that I fully understand how INTPs see things either so I understand why you'd be weary of us. I wouldn't say that I'm all id or competetion though.

ItsAlwaysSunny

MBTI Type
IDK

I have a little bit of a dark side. Sometimes I get very moody and sometimes I have a lot of anger that I don't know how to deal with. I also have a hard time believing that anyone could ever fall in love with me. Is that what you meant by darkside?

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm not taking it personally. The celebrities you mentioned were interesting because I actually like all of their personalities (except for Donald Trump who I highly doubt is an ISFP). I'm not sure that I fully understand how INTPs see things either so I understand why you'd be weary of us. I wouldn't say that I'm all id or competetion though.

Yeah, like I said, I was basing my opinion on a single description. I took the list of famous people at face value. I'm sure I would enjoy the company of some of you and not enjoy the company of others.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, number one, all humans have a dark side. Number two, having a dark side has nothing to do with being S or N. And three...a super-quick perusal of punk music and the entire emo scene will help you to see otherwise.

Maybe I didn't use the correct word for it -- but I always have a feeling that all Ss have this "good, out-in-the-open, solid" quality about them. Don't take my descriptions literally though -- it's more of an overall feel, compared to the feel that I get from Ns. It just seems to me that Ss have less tendency to be 'dark and twisted on the inside'. But then again, perhaps I should just check out the local goth scene first to see if I change my mind :smile:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Maybe I didn't use the correct word for it -- but I always have a feeling that all Ss have this "good, out-in-the-open, solid" quality about them. Don't take my descriptions literally though -- it's more of an overall feel, compared to the feel that I get from Ns. It just seems to me that Ss have less tendency to be 'dark and twisted on the inside'. But then again, perhaps I should just check out the local goth scene first to see if I change my mind :smile:

No Sid Vicious wasn't dark and twisted on the inside, not at all.

My ESFJ ex collects horror films from all over the world, owns over 5,000 and sells them, trades them etc....some of them are absolutely horrific X-rated films, and I used to wake up in the morning to pictures of bloody screaming people on our bright blue bedroom walls.

I also talk to an ISxJ at the moment who thinks that most people are idiot wastes of space.

My grandfather was ISTJ, but had a similar dry, black humor that is sometimes only credited to INTJs.

Sensors aren't just "good, salt of the earth people" but I think maybe some forms of personality theory encourage that kind of thinking.

I'm more into Jung, Lenore Thomson, Beebe, et al (function theory).

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
No Sid Vicious wasn't dark and twisted on the inside, not at all.

My ESFJ ex collects horror films from all over the world, owns over 5,000 and sells them, trades them etc....some of them are absolutely horrific X-rated films, and I used to wake up in the morning to pictures of bloody screaming people on our bright blue bedroom walls.

I also talk to an ISxJ at the moment who thinks that most people are idiot wastes of space.

My grandfather was ISTJ, but had a similar dry, black humor that is sometimes only credited to INTJs.

Sensors aren't just "good, salt of the earth people" but I think maybe some forms of personality theory encourage that kind of thinking.

I'm more into Jung, Lenore Thomson, Beebe, et al (function theory).

Maybe I just haven't run into 'twisted' S people :shock:

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have a little bit of a dark side. Sometimes I get very moody and sometimes I have a lot of anger that I don't know how to deal with. I also have a hard time believing that anyone could ever fall in love with me. Is that what you meant by darkside?

Being moody and having suppressed anger isn't dark in my dictionary. I had something along the line of Marmie's post in mind when I said dark side XD

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Maybe I just haven't run into 'twisted' S people :shock:

There are good, salt of the earth Sensors, and there are Intuitives who live in a naive dream world. I don't think life experience, interests in "creepy" things, personality disorders, bad childhoods, or sadistic/masochistic tendencies have anything to do with personality type.

Some ISFPs seem innocent, but others are sitting in their parents' basement with their girlfriend cutting themselves. I mean, Salvidor Dali was an ISFP, don't you consider him a bit twisted?

If there's anyone I stereotype as being so sweet that butter couldn't melt in their mouth I actually think of INFx first, not ISFPs. ISFPs I think of as being more realistic. But of course they aren't always...they have tertiary Ni.

Sensors don't lack an inner world or the ability to like strange or dark things.

I had these kinds of thoughts when I first started looking at personality theory, except I specifically had them about SJs. I thought all the boring, bland people were SJs and that no one interesting or artistic or cool could be SJ...so isn't it funny that as it turns out, my ESFJ ex is actually uber-SJ, I can't see him as anything but ESFJ in function theory, plus he tests as ESFJ in the four dichotomies. But at first I thought he must be ESFP because of his obsession with horror movies and punk music.

Similar for my ISFJ friend. I thought he was ISFP at first, and he had to convince me otherwise.

Stereotypes don't really work for personality types, it's a terrible way to type people, and I guess we all have to learn it.