User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, the printing press was invented in 1440 and gave us printed words, sentences, paragraphs, chapters, books and libraries. And libraries were categorised. And so we started to think in terms of categories. Why, we even categorised ourselves into personality types.

However the Random Access Memory (RAM) became available in 1970 and so made categories redundant.

But here we categorise ourselves using MBTI while we actually relate to one another with Random Access Memory.

What will happen when we start thinking in terms of Random Access Memory?
    Are you seriously trying to say there was no categorization before the printing press? Humans have always categorized. This is a plant that I don't eat, this is a plant that I do eat, this is an animal that I attack, this is an animal I don't attack, this is a human I attack, this is a human I support, this is a human towards whom I have no strong feelings, etc.

Categorization is something that is pretty basic in the human mind, as well as other animals.

MBTI
    IDK

i question whether or not mbti and the cognitive functions are real or not all the time. but ultimately it doesnt matter because it'll either help you understand people better or it wont. if it does what you want it to do then it doesnt really matter if its real or imaginary. hopefully that makes sense to someone other than me.

Smile Types and Roles

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    Are you seriously trying to say there was no categorization before the printing press? Humans have always categorized. This is a plant that I don't eat, this is a plant that I do eat, this is an animal that I attack, this is an animal I don't attack, this is a human I attack, this is a human I support, this is a human towards whom I have no strong feelings, etc.

Categorization is something that is pretty basic in the human mind, as well as other animals.
    Go into any library before computers and random access memory and you will be confronted by the Catalogue.

But now no library has a Card Catalogue. The Catalogue has been confined to the dustbin of history.

But we suffer from a hangover from the Catalogue and categorising, and so we still categorise ourselves into personality types.

And as personality types disappear into the dustbin, we shall find we have roles.

What role will you play in the electric tribe of typologycentral in the global village?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAlwaysSunny View Post
    i question whether or not mbti and the cognitive functions are real or not all the time. but ultimately it doesnt matter because it'll either help you understand people better or it wont. if it does what you want it to do then it doesnt really matter if its real or imaginary. hopefully that makes sense to someone other than me.
    The problem is that we delude ourselves so easily. Why, it was only a short time ago that we all were deluded enough to think that the Sun went round the Earth.

MBTI
    intp

What's the difference between a category and a role?

Enneagram
    CFV

I may be wrong, but;
    Role - accepted by the individual the title was placed upon
    Category - externally imposed

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    What's the difference between a category and a role?
    A category murders to dissect, while a role enlivens society.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by InTheFlesh View Post
    I may be wrong, but;
    Role - accepted by the individual the title was placed upon
    Category - externally imposed
    Yes, the authoritarian society imposes a category, while we are helped to discover our role.

MBTI
    intp

Not sure I can go with that one InTheFlesh, because the post specifically talks about categorizing ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A category murders to dissect, while a role enlivens society.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Can you give an example of each?

Enneagram
    CFV

Well, it could be argued that the reason we feel it necessary to categorize ourselves is because of an external pressure pushing down by societal power.

But I've really done enough arguing on here, I will refrain from picking another fight beyond my passive-aggressive response above