User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Thinkers, Feelers, and Emotions

It's said time and time again that Feeling is not the same as emotions, but instead a rational decision process. And it is also said that Thinkers are not without emotion. But it seems apparent that Feelers tend to be more comfortable with emotion than Thinkers are. And some Thinkers going as far as to vehemently reject their own emotions. Can someone explain their view of the F/T dichotomy with respect to emotion?

Anew Leaf

Some brief thoughts:

Feelers: I am extremely comfortable with my own emotions and how I am feeling. I am also very comfortable in dealing with other people's emotions*. (*Couple of caveats: I can't be currently overwhelmed by my own emotions, and the other person has to be sincere in their expression.)

However, I don't just steer myself willy-nilly through life based on the fluidity of my ever changing emotions and moods. If I am in Fi-mode, I am usually weighing my emotions against careful analysis. What I decide has to "feel right" to me, but there is a definite process that I go through that has its own logic to it.

In external expression of emotion I am not always the best. The more I feel, the harder it can be to fully express. I saw a lovely quote in entropie's signature that says something along the lines of "If I felt less, I would have said more." (Paraphrasing because I am too lazy to look him up.)

Thinkers:
    The more I learn the more pleasantly surprised I am by how much depth of emotion thinker types have. (Especially the ones who have Fe.) My viewpoint is that thinkers feel just as much emotion as feeler types do, but they are going to process and express it differently than feelers. Emotions simply won't have as high a priority as they would have within feelers. So outwardly it may seem that they are a robot, but inwardly they are not.

We all have the same emotions whether thinker, feeler, sensor, intuitive. It's how we address them that might be different.

If I'm experiencing any strong negative emotions, I tend to analyse it. Am I entitled to feel this way from an objective perspective? Sometimes Fi gets loose and decision makes using subjective references. More often than not, when Fi gets loose, it's with some post regret.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I guess my question could be rephrased as.. why would how people handle emotion be different if Feeling and Thinking are both rational processes with different ends?

ReflecTcelfeR

Just because they're both rational doesn't mean they'll handle them in the same way. It just means that when others examine our actions they will understand them.

I'm struggling on a better explanation, but that's what I have thus far.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

From my perspective, here's how it would work:

Te: Emotions are on the basis of their own personal reactions to various stimuli including art, people they love, and their inner values they uphold. The emotions are under the surface and ebb and flow like water. When they genuinely feel something, they will express it on a given moment.

Ti: Similar process to Te people, but the emotions have to be logically consistent. They tend to have a very low tolerance to emotional drama and will prefer people to keep in a calm and cool state. But every now and then, a Ti oriented person will have a moment of softness when they are with people that they care about. They tend to dislike it if the emotions seem too over the top or if the emotions are off in a fantasy dream world. They prefer real emotions.

Fe: Fe-based rationale is the "tend and befriend" and "what is appropriate" kind. When Fe-based people want to bond with another human being and find common ground, they will express emotions. Essentially Fe-based people freely express their emotions as a way to make the environment for the other person more inviting to their emotional expression, and to feel a connection between each other through those emotions. The thing is, some feelings in Fe-based people may not be expressed if they think it is in conflict with what is polite to say in a given situation.

Fi: Fi oriented people tend to be a bit more protective of their emotions, for a lot of their emotions are tied to their deep-seated values of what they believe is truly good or truly bad in a given situation. It is a subtler expression in comparison to Fe-dom or Fe-aux. Fi oriented people tend to feel their emotions quite strongly though, and are quite sensitive if someone challenges their beliefs.

If anyone would like to add onto these, or make corrections, feel free to do so!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

^^^ This makes some sort of sense. For F users, emotions are tools of the trade, and for T users emotions are incidental.

ReflecTcelfeR

I don't think incidental is the best word, because all emotions are inherent. They would be considered just no more than any other fact that may come into play. That's the usual definition anyway.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Gak. This topic is so complex, IMO. Feelers are usually more comfortable with emotions and trust feelings more, but that doesn't mean that they're necessarily more "emotional." You'll have someone like me, who is openly emotional, and then you'll have an INFJ or INFP who seem fairly stoic in terms of emotional expression.

Also, I know someone who self-types as ISFJ, and I continue to call him an ISFJ although I've honestly suspected him to be ISTJ because of his vocalized discomfort with emo stuff, and also the fact that he seems to fit Beebe's 8 function model for ISTJ, not ISFJ. I think sometimes he thinks he's ISFJ because he's very in touch with his Fi and has strong feelings about things, and values relationships.

I don't think F/T is as simple as "emotional" and "not emotional."

ReflecTcelfeR

I think it may be about how broad your values are and how diverse they reach out to. It seems Ti still has a value system, but it isn't as encompassing as an INFP's would be and couldn't hope to be really.