• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Influence of Functions on Grammar

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Currently I am enrolled in two online college courses. A significant portion of these courses consists of posting answers to "discussion questions" to an online forum.

I always carefully craft my answers. Also, I often draft an answer, post it to the forum and then return at a later time to revise it yet again. Via this process my answers become refined and focused.

(Incidentally, I do the same thing on this forum. Some of you might have noticed that I do revise my postings. Usually with the intent of making them more concise and understandable.)

Much to my chagrin many of my classmates will post an answer and never revise it regardless of how horrendous the answer might have been.

So what function(s) is responsible for (a) my desire to craft clear, accurate concise answers and (b) my inclination to become annoyed at those that do not?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So what function(s) is responsible for (a) my desire to craft clear, accurate concise answers and (b) my inclination to become annoyed at those that do not?

My guess would be strong Si, Ni, and/or Te. Not really sure about Ti, as some INTP's are really vague and simply don't have a head for details/technicalities, and others are skilled at precision. TJ's definitely seem to tend more towards B than TP's, though I don't know about A.

I personally would tend to associate it with the Introverted Perception that characterizes Judging types, because both characteristics seem to be found most often in J's.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Thanks for your post.

The reason I get annoyed is it is unfair that many students are receiving the same grades as I am yet are posting very poor answers.

Edit: My thoughts tend to be very vague. I often write down my thoughts as the process helps me clarify and sharpen them.

redacted

i think Ti would be very helpful. it's about concise logical systems.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Hmm ... I understand how Ti influences grammatical ability but I wonder to what extent judging does?

Are perfectionist tendencies the child of a judging preference?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
To edit something again and again until it's perfected? Is that more Te than Ti? I dunno... You can equally say Ti wants to be accurate and make refinements on something. But that ought to be your head though. Where as Te is more concern about the information on the forum is displayed correctly? :unsure:

Perfectionism has been associated with Js yes.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
The desire to want to communicate properly may as well be a "J tendency".. but a desire to perfect one's understanding of the system of grammar and language seems more Ti.