• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Isnt being ISTJ the worst type?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
If one reads what is not written, I am not responsible for it.

I would say the fault is yours for not being able to realize that's how it would be taken.

Why did you find it funny to highlight his mistake publicly?

More specifically what do you find funny about highlighting the faults of others publicly?

Nicodemus

I would say the fault is yours for not being able to realize that's how it would be taken.
I would say it is not.

Why did you find it funny to highlight his mistake publicly?
I found it funny - not very, but funnier than a PM would have been - to publicly make him aware of his mistake because my post stood in stark contrast to the nature and bleak tone of the thread thus far; it even shattered the basis of the whole problem.

More specifically what do you find funny about highlighting the faults of others publicly?
I cannot answer that generally.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know, when i first read the ISTJ description I thought, "GOD! they sound horrible!" I pictured this cold, controlling bean-counter. Bland, domineering, dull.

Then I discovered all the ISTJs in my life, including my older brother (who I'm close too) and one of my favorite school friends. They're funny, interesting, dynamic, and really smart. And though we don't agree on a lot of things, they really bring out the best in me. They have a lot of strengths I envy because I don't have them.

Particularly, they are the most loyal people I know, and despite the stereotypes they can be nurturing (maybe that depends more on etype?). Even though loyalty sounds like an overrated boy scout virtue, it really is one of the most admirable things... They can come of paranoid and over-protective, but honestly that's just a sign that they actually like you. And as for what's cool, we can't all be ESxPs...

Bottom line of this very fluffy post: Don't count ISTJs out. They can be awesome too.

OmarFW

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
In society the cool thing is having 700 facebook friends and going to party and drink every weekend like theres no tomorrow.

"Cool" is subjective.

I feel myself like a weirdo and probably lots of people who know me think i am, nobody likes a non-talkative person, i always make up excuses so i dont have to to go parties or go to restaurants, some people can think im complicated because i have to plan almost everything...

I dont hate people and i wouldnt say im antisocial, i have no problems to go shopping or doing paperwork at some government office and i treat unknown people in a friendly way... but im so bad making new friends, you cannot just throw me into a group of 10 unknown people and pretend me to meet them.

Im probably going to die alone, im really bad meeting girls, not only im non-talkative and shy, i cannot see the difference between friendship and love with a girl, if they talk to me i think they like me, then i fall in love, they wont love me back and ill be heartbroken for a while. Im 25 now and this has happened to me all my life. Im very fit and i would score myself 6,5/10 at least, but that doesnt help. Everytime they reject me ill try to be even more distant with girls the next time, so day after day im meeting less girls, so less chances... and not only its impossible, but on top of that ive got genital herpes, so STILL even less chances, probably zero.

I dont even know what job i want. Thought of law enforcement but in my country its real hard to get in (very few open spots) and if you get the job they move you to a random city and i want to stay here... I thought of IT (computers and all that stuff) but at least in Spain almost all job offers are about programming, and i dont like that, i hate maths!
Thought of accounting but again, im really bad with maths.

I think ISTJ is the whole personality type ever

These kinds of problem is not limited to just ISTJs and there are plenty of ISTJs out there who don't have these issues at all. What you're complaining about is being an introvert with little ability to extravert. This is an issue with your personality development, not what type of cognition you use. Cognition has nothing to do with behavior.

rav3n

These kinds of problem is not limited to just ISTJs and there are plenty of ISTJs out there who don't have these issues at all. What you're complaining about is being an introvert with little ability to extravert. This is an issue with your personality development, not what type of cognition you use.
Agreed.

Cognition has nothing to do with behavior.
This needs clarification. Similar or same cognitive functions can result in similar net behaviours but behaviours aren't necessarily indicative of specific, groupings of or order of, functions. Example: Sensors enjoy sports.

OmarFW

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Agreed.

This needs clarification. Similar or same cognitive functions can result in similar net behaviours but behaviours aren't necessarily indicative of specific, groupings of or order of, functions. Example: Sensors enjoy sports.

It is incorrect to say that sensors enjoy sports. It's correct to say that because of their preference in perception, they are more likely to enjoy something that stimulates that style of perception. Intuitors have just as much ability to enjoy sports as sensors though.

Your cognition only governs how your process things. It does not ever directly result in certain external behaviors. You decide that separately from your cognition and most people tend to prefer behaviors that work with their cognition rather than against it (but not always). Being an N or an S preferred would govern how you play sports (or maybe how good you are at them), not whether or not you play them in the first place.

rav3n

It is incorrect to say that sensors enjoy sports. It's correct to say that because of their preference in perception, they are more likely to enjoy something that stimulates that style of perception. Intuitors have just as much ability to enjoy sports as sensors though.

Your cognition only governs how your process things. It does not ever directly result in certain external behaviors. You decide that separately from your cognition and most people tend to prefer behaviors that work with their cognition rather than against it (but not always). Being an N or an S preferred would govern how you play sports (or maybe how good you are at them), not whether or not you play them in the first place.
The example was deliberately one of faulty logic when it comes to linking behaviour and function. But many (not all) sensors do enjoy sports.

You're repeating what I said except that cognitive functions can result in similar behaviours but the relationship isn't causal.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(eeh i think the topic title isnt correct, sorry about my english)
Im an ISTJ, like some people in my family.

In society the cool thing is having 700 facebook friends and going to party and drink every weekend like theres no tomorrow.

I feel myself like a weirdo and probably lots of people who know me think i am, nobody likes a non-talkative person, i always make up excuses so i dont have to to go parties or go to restaurants, some people can think im complicated because i have to plan almost everything...

I dont hate people and i wouldnt say im antisocial, i have no problems to go shopping or doing paperwork at some government office and i treat unknown people in a friendly way... but im so bad making new friends, you cannot just throw me into a group of 10 unknown people and pretend me to meet them.

Im probably going to die alone, im really bad meeting girls, not only im non-talkative and shy, i cannot see the difference between friendship and love with a girl, if they talk to me i think they like me, then i fall in love, they wont love me back and ill be heartbroken for a while. Im 25 now and this has happened to me all my life. Im very fit and i would score myself 6,5/10 at least, but that doesnt help. Everytime they reject me ill try to be even more distant with girls the next time, so day after day im meeting less girls, so less chances... and not only its impossible, but on top of that ive got genital herpes, so STILL even less chances, probably zero.

I dont even know what job i want. Thought of law enforcement but in my country its real hard to get in (very few open spots) and if you get the job they move you to a random city and i want to stay here... I thought of IT (computers and all that stuff) but at least in Spain almost all job offers are about programming, and i dont like that, i hate maths!
Thought of accounting but again, im really bad with maths.

I think ISTJ is the whole personality type ever

I'm going to make a few points that aren't really related to each other
1) the richest investor in the entire world is an ISTJ, Warren Buffett
2) introverts are awesome, they don't have the temptation to do stupid things or talk to imbeciles. someone wants you to talk to them, it's their fault for not getting to know your first,
3) you seem to have sorta Fe-ish motivations. have you looked at ISFJ?
4) you don't need to be good at math to be an accountant. you just need to be able to add
5) I know you're struggling with figuring out what you want to do with your life, but that's the worst part for an ISTJ. after that, it gets much easier
6) you are already in the process of overcoming the single biggest weakness of an ISTJ. ISTJs have trouble sometimes being narrow minded and not being able to see outside of their line of work thus, they often misapply their talents when they could use them for something else and make a lot more money/enjoy life more
7) ISTJs have a lot of natural strengths that I am rather envious of
- responsible
- routine oriented
- focused
- consistent

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
that's unfortunate for you.

personally, i would love to be more organized, more logical, more detail-attentive, and less needy of people.

you're human, mister sad ISTJ, welcome to the club. we all feel lonely, weird, and like we're struggling. i'm an ENFP, your complete opposite, and i feel the same way too. i don't know what i want to do for my job yet either. i also struggle with relationships and have a hard time separating very close friendship and love.

and maybe it's cool to have 700 fb friends and drink, but in my opinion, most people who have over 500 friends don't even know many of those people (or can't remember where they met them), much less do they talk to them, and going out and drinking every weekend sucks because you waste all your money on alcohol and wake up with awful hangovers.

on the downside, there's no solution to this, really. on the upside, there are probably a lot of really great things about being you that you're not focusing on. you've already said you're good at being friendly with strangers and you're good at supporting the government infrastructure that keeps your whole country running.

personally i have a good ISTJ friend who is lovely. she doesn't really like crowds and she needs to plan things in advance (but actually, so do i, i don't like spontaneous plans very much). she's really sweet, very smart, and always on top of things. like patches, she has a small group of close-knit friends that she surrounds herself with. she's an excellent piano player with an extraordinary aptitude for playing very technically complicated pieces. she works in an environmental sector of the government, doing research on new technologies. i think she makes the best of her ISTJ.

see, the thing here, is that i doubt you're actually unhappy about these things themselves. you're probably unhappy with what you think they imply. personally, i'm also usually happier at home with family than meeting new people. i also like new people, though. just because you're happier at home doesn't mean you can't learn to interact smoothly with people, nor does it mean you're destined to be lonely. plus, it's not good to not enjoy time alone. i don't like time alone very much and that's really annoying to me. i have a hard time when i can't be around people, which means that i'm not always very self-sufficient. there are a lot of good things about being introverted - it's just hard to see them until you're on the other side of the fence. extraversion is made into this big wonderful thing. it's not. it's really not that great. it just is, just like introversion.

it's how you use it that matters. the same is true for your whole type. it's not what you are, it's how you use it. if you try to be an ESTP, you're going to be one very unhappy ISTJ. if you try to be a happy ISTJ... well then, you'll probably be a happy ISTJ. talk to other ISTJs on the site. see how they deal with people, how they make new friends, how they handle relationships. learn from them and from others like yourself (not all ISTJs are very alike, after all) how you can make the most of your type, because there are a lot of advantages you have over other people. you're more self-sufficient, more realistic, more logical, and more organized than 15 other types.

so, welcome to humanity, get over yourself. ISTJ is the worst type sometimes, just like every other type. we're all the worst sometimes and the best sometimes. try to focus on when you're the best :hug:

I'm going to make a few points that aren't really related to each other
1) the richest investor in the entire world is an ISTJ, Warren Buffett
2) introverts are awesome, they don't have the temptation to do stupid things or talk to imbeciles. someone wants you to talk to them, it's their fault for not getting to know your first,
4) you don't need to be good at math to be an accountant. you just need to be able to add
5) I know you're struggling with figuring out what you want to do with your life, but that's the worst part for an ISTJ. after that, it gets much easier
6) you are already in the process of overcoming the single biggest weakness of an ISTJ. ISTJs have trouble sometimes being narrow minded and not being able to see outside of their line of work thus, they often misapply their talents when they could use them for something else and make a lot more money/enjoy life more
7) ISTJs have a lot of natural strengths that I am rather envious of
- responsible
- routine oriented
- focused
- consistent

Kudos to Skylights and Elfboy for making incredibly constructive and well thought out responses to the OP...I Echo much of their advice,
+185

istj86

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I just took a read, the only things that apply to me are :
"They constantly take in information about people and situations that is personally important to them, and store it away. This tremendous store of information is usually startlingly accurate, because the ISFJ has an exceptional memory about things that are important to their value systems. It would not be uncommon for the ISFJ to remember a particular facial expression or conversation in precise detail years after the event occured, if the situation made an impression on the ISFJ."

and

"Just as the ISFJ is not likely to express their feelings, they are also not likely to let on that they know how others are feeling. However, they will speak up when they feel another individual really needs help, and in such cases they can truly help others become aware of their feelings."

The job suggestions are stuff i wouldnt do. Im probably a mix (if thats possible) 85% ISTJ 15% ISFJ

And again, thanks everybody for your words