User Tag List

123 Last

Ginkgo

Default Giving People Personality Tests When You Meet Them

Does anyone do this? If you go about this the wrong way, I'd imagine you'd have better luck making them feel welcome by sanitizing everything they touch and the ground they walk on wearing a hazmat suit.

MBTI
    yupp

no that's insulting to even think about. it's basically saying to the other person I only hang out with xxxxxxxxxxxx and if you're yyyyyyyyy than i hate you cuz i'm a bigot
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

IRL I usually have a pretty good idea about peoples' types...
    If we start talking about psychology-related topics, which pretty much generally is an interest of mine, I sometimes mention that I have been dabbling with this for years.
    Sometimes that leads to them asking where they could take a test, etc, and I usually prod them in the direction of the free version of the MBTI test on OKCupid.
    Used to send them to the humanmetrics test before. Both are OK, I guess.

But using it the way Prplchknz seems to think is freaky is not a good idea, no.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Whipping out an MBTI test and forcing it on people you've just met seems pretty fucking weird. Call me old fashioned, but I'm happy enough talking to people to figure out what makes them tick.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Issuing out personality tests to people you aren't properly acquainted would not only create a bias based around loosely defined stereotyped attributed to various types, but would be further teeter on that unhealthy, dismissive line some typology enthusiasts fall into in which they view the behaviors commonly associated with certain types to be definite and fully encompassing, rather than simply viewing MBTI as a very basic framework. There's a ton of diversity amongst even those of the same type.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Um that would be weird but I do introduce people to the tests if they seem interested in what I'm saying.

Some people are interested, some aren't. I generally tend to type people in my head or talk to them about it way before I'd actually ask them to take the test. There haven't been that many people to whom I'm just like "here's the test, take it please." I could probably count the number on two hands, and I know a lot more than ten people.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Issuing out personality tests to people you aren't properly acquainted would not only create a bias based around loosely defined stereotyped attributed to various types, but would be further teeter on that unhealthy, dismissive line some typology enthusiasts fall into in which they view the behaviors commonly associated with certain types to be definite and fully encompassing, rather than simply viewing MBTI as a very basic framework. There's a ton of diversity amongst even those of the same type.
    This is why you and I are friends.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

What was really neat though is that I know this guy who I *immediately* thought was ESTJ from our first conversation and when we finally got around to discussing personality theory just last night, without even taking the test or reading any books, just from what I briefly told him he said, "I'm definitely an extrovert, a sensor, and a judger." Ha ha.

Some people are so easy to type, others not so much.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I'll work it into conversation first. If we're inevitable facebook friends, then I'll warn them that I'll post a test to them just for my own knowledge and if they are further interested in hearing about it. It hasn't bothered anyone yet, and gives another topic to discuss and delve into .
    It really depends on how one goes about it. I have many other ways to make people feel uneasy that I'll easily touch upon and are unrelated to mbti
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Who wouldn't want to be pigeonholded at the very first meeting
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-