• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Giving People Personality Tests When You Meet Them

G

Ginkgo

Does anyone do this? If you go about this the wrong way, I'd imagine you'd have better luck making them feel welcome by sanitizing everything they touch and the ground they walk on wearing a hazmat suit.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
no that's insulting to even think about. it's basically saying to the other person I only hang out with xxxxxxxxxxxx and if you're yyyyyyyyy than i hate you cuz i'm a bigot

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
IRL I usually have a pretty good idea about peoples' types...
If we start talking about psychology-related topics, which pretty much generally is an interest of mine, I sometimes mention that I have been dabbling with this for years.
Sometimes that leads to them asking where they could take a test, etc, and I usually prod them in the direction of the free version of the MBTI test on OKCupid.
Used to send them to the humanmetrics test before. Both are OK, I guess.

But using it the way Prplchknz seems to think is freaky is not a good idea, no.

Whipping out an MBTI test and forcing it on people you've just met seems pretty fucking weird. Call me old fashioned, but I'm happy enough talking to people to figure out what makes them tick.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Issuing out personality tests to people you aren't properly acquainted would not only create a bias based around loosely defined stereotyped attributed to various types, but would be further teeter on that unhealthy, dismissive line some typology enthusiasts fall into in which they view the behaviors commonly associated with certain types to be definite and fully encompassing, rather than simply viewing MBTI as a very basic framework. There's a ton of diversity amongst even those of the same type.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Um that would be weird but I do introduce people to the tests if they seem interested in what I'm saying.

Some people are interested, some aren't. I generally tend to type people in my head or talk to them about it way before I'd actually ask them to take the test. There haven't been that many people to whom I'm just like "here's the test, take it please." I could probably count the number on two hands, and I know a lot more than ten people.

G

Ginkgo

Issuing out personality tests to people you aren't properly acquainted would not only create a bias based around loosely defined stereotyped attributed to various types, but would be further teeter on that unhealthy, dismissive line some typology enthusiasts fall into in which they view the behaviors commonly associated with certain types to be definite and fully encompassing, rather than simply viewing MBTI as a very basic framework. There's a ton of diversity amongst even those of the same type.

This is why you and I are friends.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What was really neat though is that I know this guy who I *immediately* thought was ESTJ from our first conversation and when we finally got around to discussing personality theory just last night, without even taking the test or reading any books, just from what I briefly told him he said, "I'm definitely an extrovert, a sensor, and a judger." Ha ha.

Some people are so easy to type, others not so much.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'll work it into conversation first. If we're inevitable facebook friends, then I'll warn them that I'll post a test to them just for my own knowledge and if they are further interested in hearing about it. It hasn't bothered anyone yet, and gives another topic to discuss and delve into :shrug:.
It really depends on how one goes about it. I have many other ways to make people feel uneasy that I'll easily touch upon and are unrelated to mbti :laugh:

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Who wouldn't want to be pigeonholded at the very first meeting :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would never "shelve" someone based upon their type. Do people actually do this? I just type people in my head for my personal curiousity, to see if I'm right or wrong, and if I ask someone to take the test I just want to be able to understand them better, not decide if they stay or go based upon type. How absurd. There are good/bad, smart/dumb, interesting/boring people in every type.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I certainly was inclined to want to do this, but most people around here are totally uninterested, and my wife had to rein me in. (Heavy SJ environment). I even put a link to an MBTI quiz on a FB group for the reunion of the block I grew up on, and not one person is interested (on person did "like" it, strangely enough).

Limit

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I do this all the time. I kinda like to see if someone is open to even the idea of it. They don't have to use, just someone who is willing to try something out.

Most girls tell me to just talk to them more rather than giving them a test XD

Jaguar

I know a scumbag in under 60 seconds. It's in the eyes. A personality test would waste my time.

Limit

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Cocksucking deviants!

LMAO. I forgot about that. I didn't actually get to see any of it because I was sleeping :(

I was just thinking though, even if YOU can tell everything you want by their eyes, wouldn't it still be interesting to see what they think from their eyes?