User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Reading people

NPcomplete

When I do care, I can be pretty good at reading people. I usually know when they are faking, when they're uncomfortable or when they're trying to manipulate me but it takes me a tad longer to figure out why.

If we want to go by type, the NFJs I know can read me easily although that could be because they've known me since forever. I usually can sense when my fellow NTPs are closing off the walls so I try to curb down my curiosity and not invade them (because I hate it when people do that to me). The NTPs can read me pretty well too (I feel). Not sure about the other types. I think I can read my INFP friend fairly well but one can never be sure. We're slowly building our trust levels so I'm still accumulating data and she's probably doing the same thing as well.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I think NF's can have an uncanny sense of reading people. I think the INFJ's can be really good at this, but the focus is a bit different than the NFP's. Two INFJ's I know have this extraordinary ability to kinda foresee how someone or something is going to panout.. but as far as just sensing the core of another person.. I'd give that to the INFP's.

IMO

INFP's are better at understanding the core of a person. Inate nature.
    INFJ's are better at understanding where the person will end up.
    ENFP's are better at understanding motivations and social dynamics.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Probably better than average, but can be slowed by all the voices in my head, just imagining myself having an out of body, being the other person. Most people are predominantly visually-oriented, so sometimes I play along to force their next hand.

Also pretty good at forgetting what bums do with your loose change.

thinking of you

Ginkgo

Oh, the expected irony of this thread.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

From my experience- ENFJs & INTJs
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I doubt that it's type related. I think it has alot to do with your childhood and who you learned to read in your family...

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

The best people readers are those who dont need the mbti to do that
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I doubt that it's type related. I think it has alot to do with your childhood and who you learned to read in your family...
    I agree with that. My 'radar' rarely let's me down. To think that MBTI has anything to do with it, is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    The best people readers are those who dont need the mbti to do that
    True.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it. I think that anyone who makes a conscious effort to pay attention to people and analyze their behavior (aka just practise reading people) is likely to be pretty good. It's a matter of having the interest to do the work
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I honestly can't decide whether I'm good at reading people or not. I'm not sure either if it is type related. I'm not always sure if others are good at reading people either!

I certainly lack the "I'm always right about everyone" thing that some INFJs have going...I've stated on many occasions on this forum that it drives me up the wall I actually think that sometimes I doubt my own ability to get a handle on people more than I actually should. That may have something to do with being e6. I tend to question my own conclusions a lot, second-guessing. So I'm often not sure if my initial hunches are right.

On the whole though, the evidence seems to suggest that I'm reasonably good at reading people. (A notable exception would be guys I am interested in. Unfortunately I can develop massive blind spots there, though not always. Sometimes it's more that I think I see potential in them that isn't really there and I extrapolate too much from that.) I have friends who tend to come with totally non-nuanced portraits of others, but I guess I can usually see both the good and bad in people, the strengths and weaknesses, because I don't like to be unfair. (Another notable exception, I'm afraid, is if I've been dumped or let down by someone I like. My opinion of them can then become more harsh than they deserve...sometimes it is the flip side of initially idealizing them or being kinder to them than they deserve...)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING