User Tag List

First 345

Thread: F

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

On Fs:

When I (as an INFP) am given topic X to consider, my first question tends to be something along the line of "What else is similar to this topic?" So I cast a wide net in my memory and try to remember similar or related topics in order to provide context for topic X. The more context I can provide, the more meaning topic X seems to acquire and the more insight I gain into the workings of context X. Random associations are productive in that they provide new contexts; whimsicality is one means of encouraging and exploring new associations.

Associations are often intertwined with emotions, so emotions are welcomed and viewed as a productive means of pursuing associations. (That is, emotions are recognized and accepted by Fs as a tool for examining topic X the same way that logic is recognized and accepted by Ts as a tool for examining Topic X.)
    WOW! This part was impressive to me. I have always had a difficult time being able to put into words the way I think about things, how it differs from T's and how intuition and feeling combine. It may not be exact as INFP/ENFJ are quite different but you still did a great job. You made me want to attempt to explain it!
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I disagree. I think N plays a big role on this. I may be a T but I can still read people fairly well when it comes to motivation and what people are getting at. There is a reason why many INTJs are more tactful to people than ISTJs are. I think what you mean is that Ts can't read people's emotional state well.

INTJs are better at reading emotion than most Ts because of their Ni-Fi axis.

Fi is the best function for this because it has the greatest empathetical merits.

Ni is also great because it does an excellent job of perceiving abstractions, so you are right that N is a factor, but I'd say much less significant of a one than an F.

Accordingly an ENTJ, an intuitor with an inferior F would not do as well with reading emotiono as the ESTP, a thorough-going sensor who has Feeling in the third slot. (And also note the Fi/Fe discrepancy with the primacy of the former over the latter.. ESTP is an Fe and ENTJ an Fi... and the Un-Intuitive tertiary Fe beats out the intuitive inferior Fi)

And as for the significance of intuition... we should note that INTJs will have a higher emotional intelligence than ISTJs... ENTPs than ESTPs...ENTJs than ESTJs... and INTPs than ISTPs..Again... we also should note that those types have feeling in the same position as their object of comparison
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    WOW! This part was impressive to me. I have always had a difficult time being able to put into words the way I think about things, how it differs from T's and how intuition and feeling combine. It may not be exact as INFP/ENFJ are quite different but you still did a great job. You made me want to attempt to explain it!
    Thanks! Good to hear it verified by another Feeling type.

FL

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Thanks! Good to hear it verified by another Feeling type.

FL
    Here's another one. That was very accurate for me as well.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Here's another one. That was very accurate for me as well.
    Yay, Ivy!

FL

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I was thinking about each of the letters in MBTI recently and I began to wonder why the term Feeling is used. It seems to me that Feeling is more of an intuitive thing, whereas Emotional describes emotions. I understand that there is already a letter E in MBTI, and I also understand that emotional has an inherent negative connotation, but for the sake of argument pretend that neither exists.

The way it is currently, you can be a Feeler, yet have absolutely no ability to "feel" people's emotions (S's). Whereas, an NT might be able to "feel" things.

Anyways, this could be a product of my being awake at a late hour and an attempt to push the envelope on procrastination concerning my test studying, but I'd like to hear some input.
    I definitely disagree with you. I don't really see how feeling is more of an intuitive thing. It can also be a sensing thing. For examples, Ns may rely more on their "hunches" and HOW people say things to figure out if they're upset. On the other hand, Ss rely on WHAT people say, or the small details that Ns may overlook. An NT may be able to use their intuitive side to sense someone's emotions, but an SF sees the actual things that makes a person upset (S), and then try to help them (F). Even if an NT does feel things, their intuitions may be wrong (N), and being T, they may not care to act upon it. So there's the main difference, SFs are better at expressing their feelings (even though E vs I plays a major role here, an SF would show more emotion than an NT, for example.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

An example, generally directed at the first post: in an appointed position of mine, when in a disagreement that could potentially alter or even limit the career of the other party, I am concerned not about the wants or needs of the other party but whether or not my argument is valid and my position is consistent and defensible. Separation of material facts and relevant guidelines from the individual in question is critical. A strong F-type, I imagine, would be unwilling or even unable to do this.