• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Heredity of Personality Type: the type of your mother, father and yours?

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I don't see much correlation if any from people's results. This is one of the weaknesses of MBTI, because twin studies have shown that personality is heritable...if the model doesn't predict this then that is evidence against it.

Um, no. That's why twin studies are so valuable for psychologists trying to figure out the influence of genes on personality. I've never heard anybody suggest that the genetic contributions to personality relate to the kind of simple inheritance mechanisms that tend to cause children to match parents.

Theoretically, introversion could be 100% genetic and, while that would mean that an introvert's identical twin would also be an introvert, both their parents could be extraverts.

I'm not saying that it isn't likely that, to the extent that personality is genetic, a person will be at least midly more likely to match one or both parents on one or more dimensions than to match neither. But "mildly more likely" doesn't mean there can't be a lot of non-matches.

Jung believed personality was inborn, and one of the things he pointed to in support of that notion was the fact that two children of the same parents could have such strikingly different personalities. To Jung, that indicated that it was unlikely that how a child was raised was the primary determinant of personality.

Decades of twin studies have been done since Jung wrote and, as it sounds like you already know, those studies strongly suggest that genes account for around half (or more) of the kinds of relatively stable personality dimensions measured by the MBTI and Big Five.

And the most counterintuitive conclusion that's been drawn from the cumulative data is that how your parents raise you has almost no influence on your basic temperament — e.g., whether you'll end up an INTJ. Identical twins raised in the same household are not significantly more alike (in terms of temperament) than identical twins raised in separate households.

For more, see this post.

sexygamer

Please write your formula:
ENTJ + INTP = INTP

Sibling: ISTP

MOTHER SIDE:
ISFJ mom + ENTJ dad = ENTJ

Siblings: ISTP, INTP f, INTP m, ESTP

FATHER SIDE:
ENTP dad + ENFJ mom = INTP

Siblings: ENFJ, ISTJ

1AuroraAngel1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ISFJ (mother) + INTJ (father) = INFP (me)

Maternal Grandparents:
My grandma died when I was really young and I don't know my grandpa that well...

Paternal Grandparents:
XSXJ (grandpa) + XXFP (grandma) = my dad

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
ESFJ (Mother) + ESxx (Father) = HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ESFP - Brother.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Mom IxFx+Dad INTJ= Me INFP

Mom IxFx + Dad INTJ= Brother ESTP

LanaBanana

MBTI Type
XXFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Mother, father, me:
ENXJ+INTP= XXTX
Mom's parents:
Grandmother- INTJ
Grandfather- ESXJ
Dad's parents:
Grandmother- ISXP
Grandfather- ESTJ

Ughh I don't know?

Emperor Enigma

Wandering...
Enneagram
3w4
These are just conjectures.

Mother - ESFJ (quite an obvious one)

Father - ISxP or ISxJ (certainly an introvert although unlike me, he doesn't mind being an extrovert in social gatherings [I refuse simply because I don't like being fake, unless it's of my own accord], can't discern whether he's Se or Si, he has a knack for riding in roller coasters and performing action-oriented activities, says he enjoys the adrenaline that accompanies, what does that indicate...? Also finds importance in rules, he once scolded me for taking a bath in the evening [a similar incident occurred when he caught me brushing my teeth after taking a bath, he thinks it's wrong to not brush your teeth before taking a bath], saying, "There's a time for everything! You can't just do them on a whim!", stereotypically this might be ascribed to the fallacious assumption that Si is all about rules and tradition, maybe it's just a Ti principle based on Fe (everyone else also does this!)?)

Sister - ESFP (probably, it's curious how different our persuasion styles are, she relies on brute force and physical motivation while I rely on diverting the other person's attention to future benefits and possibilities [which never seems to work on her, the converse also being true], one could also say I'm much more tactful or diplomatic even though she's the one who's more concerned about things like harmony, curious indeed)

Grandfather - ESTJ (just a hunch... I do detect Te)

Grandmother - xxFJ (Leaning towards Si here, ironically, her persistent attempts to help me unintentionally end up antagonizing me, I appreciate her efforts but she overdoes them to the extent they become intrusive)

Me - xNxP (leaning towards xNTP, perhaps even INxJ, dunno)

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mom: ENTJ + Dad: ISTP I'm an: ENTP
Mom: ENTJ + Dad: ISTP Sister: ISTP

Agnes

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
89?
INFJ mom + ESTP dad = ENTJ me

a true mix

Dragonfly

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mother: ESTJ+ISFJ=INFP
Father: ExFJ+ESFJ=ISTP
Me: INFP+ISTP=ISTP

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't see much correlation if any from people's results. This is one of the weaknesses of MBTI, because twin studies have shown that personality is heritable...if the model doesn't predict this then that is evidence against it.
That seems a bit too black and white to me. Why does a personality system have to be good at everything? I'd rather that it be absolutely fantastic at the specific things it aims to be good at.

IME the MBTI predicts SOME, if not all, heritable personality traits. For example I inherited strong J traits from my mother and silly Ne humor from my father -- both of which were visible traits from when I was very young. But also IME, the Enneagram is MUCH better at predicting and picking up on heritable personality traits. I fit the general model perfectly re: what sort of upbringing would bring about not just a 1, but a 1 with a 7 fix.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think aspects of personality are inheritable (such as introversion = the amount of stimulation a person is actually wired to handle).

Just because someone can't inhereit a particular trait doesn't mean the trait doesn't show up in a population or can't be used to infer behavior. it could just be the product of multiple factors that can be passed along biologically as well as influenced by environment factors regardless of parental preferences.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I think aspects of personality are inheritable (such as introversion = the amount of stimulation a person is actually wired to handle).

Just because someone can't inhereit a particular trait doesn't mean the trait doesn't show up in a population or can't be used to infer behavior. it could just be the product of multiple factors that can be passed along biologically as well as influenced by environment factors regardless of parental preferences.

I disagree, because introversion is something that you can change to an extent, and is often very impacted by childhood experiences. People suffering from depression, social anxiety etc can type as a lot more introverted than they otherwise would be.

Yet your temperament - a vague measure of your cognition (how you process information) - is not like this despite being imprinted at birth. Therefore, it would make sense that this part is at least mostly heritable rather than being a product of something random that happened after conception. However, from what I've seen on here, there is hardly any consistency at all.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
That seems a bit too black and white to me. Why does a personality system have to be good at everything? I'd rather that it be absolutely fantastic at the specific things it aims to be good at.

IME the MBTI predicts SOME, if not all, heritable personality traits. For example I inherited strong J traits from my mother and silly Ne humor from my father -- both of which were visible traits from when I was very young. But also IME, the Enneagram is MUCH better at predicting and picking up on heritable personality traits. I fit the general model perfectly re: what sort of upbringing would bring about not just a 1, but a 1 with a 7 fix.

I never said MBTI had to be good at everything. But the central, temperament part of your type (NT, NF, SJ, SP) isn't affected by the environment so I would've expected there to be a pattern running in families. J-ness isn't about being quick to make judgements. I associate that with Te more.

I am suspicious of Enneagram. I can test as an 8, 6 or even a 4 sometimes depending on my mood. A good model yields consistent results over time. This is one reason why I hold MBTI a bit higher, despite what I've said.

Still, I am very open enough to both. MBTI has helped me understand myself more.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTP 6 + ISTJ 9 = INFJ 4, ISFJ 2, ISFP 9

All introverts.

Father's Si dominance passed down to one sibling; mother's JiSe passed to other sibling; all mother's functions passed to me, but in a different order. Our relationships with each other reflect these links.

Feelers with two thinker parents - good way to produce a 4, I'm just saying.

Those who aren't 6s and 9s have them as fixes.

I think every single one of us is sx-last. The offspring had culture shock to deal with when they first stepped out into the world.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I never said MBTI had to be good at everything. But the central, temperament part of your type (NT, NF, SJ, SP) isn't affected by the environment so I would've expected there to be a pattern running in families.

I don't know where you've gotten the idea that the particular Keirsey combinations (NT/NF/SJ/SP) are somehow more fixed at birth (genetic) than the individual dichotomies, but that's not consistent with any studies I've ever seen.

For more on type, genetics and nurture, see this post.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My grandparents all died before I met them, so I wouldn't know. But I have heard some about them, so I'll take *ahem* shots in the dark.

Lazy douchebag + probable ESxJ = ENxP (dad)

Woman who supposedly is just as "stoic and headstrong" as me but nonetheless very smart, sociable, and caring (would have loved to meet her :() + cheating dickwad = ISFJ (mom)

ISFJ + ENxP = ESTP and INFP (brother)

My dad has like five sisters and they're all smothering, obnoxious middle aged women who like to drink and "kid swap".

My mom has an older sister and younger sister. I don't know her older sister well enough to type her, but her younger sister is an ENFx with an ISTP husband.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My mom's either an INFJ or an INFP. I have no idea about my dad. My sister and I are INFPs.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Maternal grandparents:
ISTJ 1w2 + ISFP 9w8
Children:
ESFJ 2w1, IxFP 9

Paternal grandparents:
ESTJ 8w7 + ISFP 4w3
Children:
INTP 5w6, ENFP 7w8, xNFP 7w6, ESTP

My parents: ESFJ 2w1 + INTP 5w6
Children: INFP 6w7, ISTP 9w8

Maternal cousins:
IxFP 9 + ExFJ 2w3
Children:
ISFJ 2w1, INFP 4, ISFP 9w1

Paternal cousins:
ESTP + INTJ 9
Children:
ENFP 7w6, ENTP, ESFP 9w8

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFJ 6w7 sp/so + ISFP 6w7 sx/so= INFP 9dw sp/sx, ISTJ 1w9 sp/sx, ENFP 9w1 so/sp, ENFP 9w8 sx/so

Speculations/observations:

Strong Fi and Ne influences may be the reason why the ISTJ has good inferiors.

Strong xxFP dominance could be why nearly all offspring are 9's. It seems to me that 6's as parents should have either created more 6's or 9's. My father's strong 3 fix/ strong link to 3 may have brought on the 1.

So doms are the minority and sp doms the majority which is why the ENFP 9w1 social first may have initially mistyped as an INFP and why even the Sx/so's seem to very slightly lean introvert within their ambiversion. Social lasts are the minority which is why my sister and I are the most severely introverted introverts in our family.

The introvert/extrovert split is even, yet all the extroverts are actually ambiverts(in theory and in practice).