User Tag List

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Heredity of Personality Type: the type of your mother, father and yours?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I don't see much correlation if any from people's results. This is one of the weaknesses of MBTI, because twin studies have shown that personality is heritable...if the model doesn't predict this then that is evidence against it.
    That seems a bit too black and white to me. Why does a personality system have to be good at everything? I'd rather that it be absolutely fantastic at the specific things it aims to be good at.

IME the MBTI predicts SOME, if not all, heritable personality traits. For example I inherited strong J traits from my mother and silly Ne humor from my father -- both of which were visible traits from when I was very young. But also IME, the Enneagram is MUCH better at predicting and picking up on heritable personality traits. I fit the general model perfectly re: what sort of upbringing would bring about not just a 1, but a 1 with a 7 fix.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world -- 'No, YOU move.'"
    - Captain America

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

I think aspects of personality are inheritable (such as introversion = the amount of stimulation a person is actually wired to handle).

Just because someone can't inhereit a particular trait doesn't mean the trait doesn't show up in a population or can't be used to infer behavior. it could just be the product of multiple factors that can be passed along biologically as well as influenced by environment factors regardless of parental preferences.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think aspects of personality are inheritable (such as introversion = the amount of stimulation a person is actually wired to handle).

Just because someone can't inhereit a particular trait doesn't mean the trait doesn't show up in a population or can't be used to infer behavior. it could just be the product of multiple factors that can be passed along biologically as well as influenced by environment factors regardless of parental preferences.
    I disagree, because introversion is something that you can change to an extent, and is often very impacted by childhood experiences. People suffering from depression, social anxiety etc can type as a lot more introverted than they otherwise would be.

Yet your temperament - a vague measure of your cognition (how you process information) - is not like this despite being imprinted at birth. Therefore, it would make sense that this part is at least mostly heritable rather than being a product of something random that happened after conception. However, from what I've seen on here, there is hardly any consistency at all.

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    That seems a bit too black and white to me. Why does a personality system have to be good at everything? I'd rather that it be absolutely fantastic at the specific things it aims to be good at.

IME the MBTI predicts SOME, if not all, heritable personality traits. For example I inherited strong J traits from my mother and silly Ne humor from my father -- both of which were visible traits from when I was very young. But also IME, the Enneagram is MUCH better at predicting and picking up on heritable personality traits. I fit the general model perfectly re: what sort of upbringing would bring about not just a 1, but a 1 with a 7 fix.
    I never said MBTI had to be good at everything. But the central, temperament part of your type (NT, NF, SJ, SP) isn't affected by the environment so I would've expected there to be a pattern running in families. J-ness isn't about being quick to make judgements. I associate that with Te more.

I am suspicious of Enneagram. I can test as an 8, 6 or even a 4 sometimes depending on my mood. A good model yields consistent results over time. This is one reason why I hold MBTI a bit higher, despite what I've said.

Still, I am very open enough to both. MBTI has helped me understand myself more.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

ISTP 6 + ISTJ 9 = INFJ 4, ISFJ 2, ISFP 9

All introverts.

Father's Si dominance passed down to one sibling; mother's JiSe passed to other sibling; all mother's functions passed to me, but in a different order. Our relationships with each other reflect these links.

Feelers with two thinker parents - good way to produce a 4, I'm just saying.

Those who aren't 6s and 9s have them as fixes.

I think every single one of us is sx-last. The offspring had culture shock to deal with when they first stepped out into the world.
    4w5 6w7 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I never said MBTI had to be good at everything. But the central, temperament part of your type (NT, NF, SJ, SP) isn't affected by the environment so I would've expected there to be a pattern running in families.
    I don't know where you've gotten the idea that the particular Keirsey combinations (NT/NF/SJ/SP) are somehow more fixed at birth (genetic) than the individual dichotomies, but that's not consistent with any studies I've ever seen.

For more on type, genetics and nurture, see this post.

Senior Member Array Hitoshi-San's Avatar
    MBTI
    idfk
    Enneagram
    6w7

My grandparents all died before I met them, so I wouldn't know. But I have heard some about them, so I'll take *ahem* shots in the dark.

Lazy douchebag + probable ESxJ = ENxP (dad)

Woman who supposedly is just as "stoic and headstrong" as me but nonetheless very smart, sociable, and caring (would have loved to meet her ) + cheating dickwad = ISFJ (mom)

ISFJ + ENxP = ESTP and INFP (brother)

My dad has like five sisters and they're all smothering, obnoxious middle aged women who like to drink and "kid swap".

My mom has an older sister and younger sister. I don't know her older sister well enough to type her, but her younger sister is an ENFx with an ISTP husband.

like snow, like gold Array magpie's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

My mom's either an INFJ or an INFP. I have no idea about my dad. My sister and I are INFPs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Maternal grandparents:
    ISTJ 1w2 + ISFP 9w8
    Children:
    ESFJ 2w1, IxFP 9

Paternal grandparents:
    ESTJ 8w7 + ISFP 4w3
    Children:
    INTP 5w6, ENFP 7w8, xNFP 7w6, ESTP

My parents: ESFJ 2w1 + INTP 5w6
    Children: INFP 6w7, ISTP 9w8

Maternal cousins:
    IxFP 9 + ExFJ 2w3
    Children:
    ISFJ 2w1, INFP 4, ISFP 9w1

Paternal cousins:
    ESTP + INTJ 9
    Children:
    ENFP 7w6, ENTP, ESFP 9w8

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

ENFJ 6w7 sp/so + ISFP 6w7 sx/so= INFP 9dw sp/sx, ISTJ 1w9 sp/sx, ENFP 9w1 so/sp, ENFP 9w8 sx/so

Speculations/observations:

Strong Fi and Ne influences may be the reason why the ISTJ has good inferiors.

Strong xxFP dominance could be why nearly all offspring are 9's. It seems to me that 6's as parents should have either created more 6's or 9's. My father's strong 3 fix/ strong link to 3 may have brought on the 1.

So doms are the minority and sp doms the majority which is why the ENFP 9w1 social first may have initially mistyped as an INFP and why even the Sx/so's seem to very slightly lean introvert within their ambiversion. Social lasts are the minority which is why my sister and I are the most severely introverted introverts in our family.

The introvert/extrovert split is even, yet all the extroverts are actually ambiverts(in theory and in practice).

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast