• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing by facial characteristics.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I totally get what you mean by that, and I think I can feel the Enfp "reaction" his face evokes. ONE last question- how reliabe do you find your face-typing to be?

This thread hasn't really spoken to the claims that facial phenotype is actually a very reliable method to type a person with. If you guys are familiar with AlboP, you'll know they put a great deal of trust into facial typing and report complete accuracy.

Here's a video they spend (mostly) talking about it. They say they identified a toddler/baby who couldn't talk yet as an enfp (he had "little enfp eyes"). His parents couldn't pottytrain him, but when they tried methods that were sympathetic to the needs of an enfp, the kid learned in a night.

A Little Bit of Personality: Facial Typing Preview (Skip to 4:35)

Thoughts? Is there any truth to this or is this hogwash? If we ARE born with our cognition, it seems conceivable, and almost logical to me that it be connected to body-type.

I don't necessarily type just by face, but I do take someone's physical demeanor and appearance into consideration and that does include the face. More accurately, though, I take everything into consideration, including how some people are psychologically or emotionally invested with being known as a certain type, for whatever reason; everything says something. That's why I prefer to say gestalt.

I think my accuracy is fair. It takes me longer to type someone by photos alone, so I prefer moving images and to hear their voice and to see what they are like/look like on a regular basis. I need to see clothing choices, the kind of art/entertainment they enjoy, how they enjoy it. If I have access to someone in the flesh then I'm much better. I'm also really good at picking up on mistypings; I'm better when someone says, "I'm an _ _ _ _ ," and I'll just feel like, Noooo you're mistyped. And I've been right about every one of those if I've met them in person.

Just watched a few minutes of the video. Both speakers seem very with it, so that's a good sign and very important. My thoughts on this, even before the video, is that the concept itself is not hogwash. But you can have a legitimately workable idea that gets written off as hogwash because you suck at 'selling' it, or you're nuts and have nefarious intentions behind your system.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know, I can't get as specific as picking out and tagging them, but I will say that I think my visual typing method is actually about how that person's face makes me feel. I'm always myself but myself feels differently depending on who I'm with. Also why as an introvert I need solitude, but that's how I'm making my guesses.
Eww, feelings! (Just kidding.)

This is probably why I absolutely suck at typing people based on their looks. For me, the closest I get to that is picking up a general vibe based on their posture, gestures, voice modulation, etc.

Edit: I see you mentioned clothing choices, too. That's a big one. For instance, I can't ever picture any INTJ wearing anything pink or frilly. Or an ISTJ being caught dead in public wearing pajamas and slippers.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Eww, feelings! (Just kidding.)

This is probably why I absolutely suck at typing people based on their looks. For me, the closest I get to that is picking up a general vibe based on their posture, gestures, voice modulation, etc.

LOL!

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Facial features don't say much. It's a minute step above (or below?) phrenology.

What those features do and how they act, though, can give a fairly strong insight into the personality of the person that controls them -- or at least into their state of mind at the moment.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just for fun;

1) ISTJ
2) ESTP
3) ESFP
4) ESTP
5) INFJ
6) ESTJ
7) INTP
8) ISFJ

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
just for fun;

1) ISTJ
2) ESTP
3) ESFP
4) ESTP
5) INFJ
6) ESTJ
7) INTP
8) ISFJ

Re 5) INFJ -- I'd need to see some more photos/video, but I'm leaning a bit towards ENFJ, though I can see how INFJ also works.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
Edit: I see you mentioned clothing choices, too. That's a big one. For instance, I can't ever picture any INTJ wearing anything pink or frilly. Or an ISTJ being caught dead in public wearing pajamas and slippers.

For sure. Clothing was definitely involved in helping me determine that someone was mistyped (I just accidentally typed 'misstyled', hah!).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Visual typing is fun but I don't take it seriously. It's in the same vicinity as phrenology and astrology.

perpy

MBTI Type
unkn
Enneagram
unk
I hear the popular opinion loud and clear, but I urge those of you with strong beliefs to just check the video/website out. The site is in-depth, with an unusually high level of understanding as well as a passion for finding the truth about cognition. These people don't seem like they would release (indeed they are withholding of information before they perfect it better) without firm evidence of it's truth.

Even if you remain un-impressed by their ideas about facial typing, the rest of the site provides a really great formation and delivery of jungian typology. I think this site is one of the best on typology out there.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I try something myself in order to know one way or the other, and VI/facial typing/gestalt-intuitive typing is enjoyable, and it keeps me flexible. Perhaps VI is not type-related, but I don't think there isn't any relation, either. If our facial expressions and body language reflect our inner feelings or thoughts, then I can't write off VI. Also, fun and games aside, I don't really see how VI on a hobby level is problematic. If someone wants to educate me as to the contrary, I gladly welcome it.