User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is being an introvert hard?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • it sucks! I want to be an extrovert! =(

3 4.62%
  • I would prefer being an extrovert, but being I is alright

7 10.77%
  • it is hard, but I still like being an introvert

22 33.85%
  • It's hard being I, but I'm neutral

5 7.69%
  • it's not hard being I, I'm neutral

7 10.77%
  • extroverts are awesome too, but I'm glad I'm I

6 9.23%
  • I love being an introvert! =D

9 13.85%
  • it's just a friggin letter, who cares?

6 9.23%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I do think it's more of an extrovert's world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'm often suprised when extraverts claim they want to be introverts. Are you fucking crazy?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    introversion is really looked down on by society (oh you're unfriendly, you have no social skills, you're boring, you're snobby, you're a bad team player, etc etc etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    I do get the feeling sometimes that extroversion is overappreciated while introversion is underappreciated. It definitely depends from the era and civilization. Western society tends to promote extraversion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Oh ya, also going to add that being around really extreme extroverts is a bit strange for me. I will observe the need for constant external validation, the need to constantly have people around, be on the phone, etc. and I think.. how can you ever know yourself? When doyou find the time to know whats within? I would not want to be extreme on either end of the dichotomy.
    just to throw out there, i think society readily appreciates the positive qualities of extraversion, but the other side of the extraversion coin - like what huxley brought up - is readily dismissed. sometimes i think mild introverts have it easier in the sense that society is sort of neutral to mild introversion. not to invalidate the feelings that any of you guys might have, i was shy when i was younger and i know how it feels to be propped and poked when you really don't want to engage, but i do think that often the downside of being an extravert is just less immediately visible.

for example, it is bizarre for me to be praised at work or in classes for being open and talkative and enthusiastic, but then late at night when i really need someone to bounce ideas off of so they don't circulate in me like an awful clogged-up toilet (thank god for the internetz), others can be quite negative and dismissive about it. because they only want to talk when it's time for talking. given, this might be more of a Ne problem, because we like to discuss crazy shit, but still - the same exact attribute at a different time of day goes from being seen as very positive to very negative, and that's pretty frustrating. or you're in class and get on a brilliant idea-tangent, when the prof informs you that it's time to let others talk. what? dammit. i just figured out what i want to say...

plus you guys don't see the downside for extraverts as much because it happens when we're alone and/or don't have anything to engage with. you don't really often get to see us getting stressed out and wound up and exhausted and the unpleasant tangle of energy grappling to get out. cause if you're with us, we're probably on and engaged! but while you're happy and alone and recharging, i'm getting lost in a negative soup of dark emotion and thought and feeling like my insides want to break away and fly and find something to do and someone to interact with and a way to bring back life and color and light before i drown in the craziness inside my head. in some ways being extraverted makes you dependent, especially for an ExxP.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet
    I look at extroverts and wonder how they stay "on" all the time
    it's like being a cold-blooded creature, i guess. i need my environment to help stimulate me, otherwise i get wound down, and being wound down doesn't feel good. it's the same as feeling hungry or like you have to pee. or both at once, which is a pain in the ass. you need more stimulation and you need to get what's inside of you, out.

but of course i imagine that the bell curve is most true. the people who have it easiest are in the middle of the curve, and/or are those who have figured out how to use their qualities to their best advantage.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    just to throw out there, i think society readily appreciates the positive qualities of extraversion, but the other side of the extraversion coin - like what huxley brought up - is readily dismissed. sometimes i think mild introverts have it easier in the sense that society is sort of neutral to mild introversion. not to invalidate the feelings that any of you guys might have, i was shy when i was younger and i know how it feels to be propped and poked when you really don't want to engage, but i do think that often the downside of being an extravert is just less immediately visible.

for example, it is bizarre for me to be praised at work or in classes for being open and talkative and enthusiastic, but then late at night when i really need someone to bounce ideas off of so they don't circulate in me like an awful clogged-up toilet (thank god for the internetz), others can be quite negative and dismissive about it. because they only want to talk when it's time for talking. given, this might be more of a Ne problem, because we like to discuss crazy shit, but still - the same exact attribute at a different time of day goes from being seen as very positive to very negative, and that's pretty frustrating. or you're in class and get on a brilliant idea-tangent, when the prof informs you that it's time to let others talk. what? dammit. i just figured out what i want to say...

plus you guys don't see the downside for extraverts as much because it happens when we're alone and/or don't have anything to engage with. you don't really often get to see us getting stressed out and wound up and exhausted and the unpleasant tangle of energy grappling to get out. cause if you're with us, we're probably on and engaged! but while you're happy and alone and recharging, i'm getting lost in a negative soup of dark emotion and thought and feeling like my insides want to break away and fly and find something to do and someone to interact with and a way to bring back life and color and light before i drown in the craziness inside my head. in some ways being extraverted makes you dependent, especially for an ExxP.
    Yes that's very good what you said.

I've to say it has gotten easier for me with age, I am more able now to channel what I want to say and then do it in one swift blow. I keep most of the things I see nowadays to me, what has made me better too at keeping secrets. Onlytimes when someone makes you enthusiastic about something, I cant stop, then I am still all over the place
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Nope.

Although I'm probably not that introverted, relatively speaking. I still like connecting to people probably more than some.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

It's not easier or harder than being an extrovert.

Smile The Immature and the Mature Introvert

It is hard being an immature introvert, but it is satisfying to be a mature introvert.

Mature introverts have a great deal to offer, so how do we move from being an immature introvert to a mature introvert?

The surprising key is learning to relax, and in particular, learning to relax in trying circumstances.

The book I found most helpful in learning to relax my body and my mind is, "Relief Without Drugs", by Ainslie Mears.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Some things are probably more difficult for introverts, but I find far more are much, much easier. On balance, then, I would not wish to be anything else, but I hope I would feel the same way were I an extravert - comfortable in who I am.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I've never seen it like that, very interesting. Then again, people don't really care what you do in your alone time until you're active, energetic and on the move while being in a group. The demons of extraversion are less visible, while 'I' flaws are immediately exposed, so maybe they are more protective of their ego and take more efforts to appear strong.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I love being an I.
    Once i partially overcame shyness my life got much better.
    I've learned to apreciate my detached nature. It makes me more independent and less susceptible to unwanted influences.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Being introvert is kind of natural to me. I don't think I can be anything else. So I don't have to do a thing in order to be introverted.

All in all, that makes it pretty easy.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

It's only "hard" in the sense that while I understand Es and their needs, I find they understand me & my needs far less. The only time this is a real issue is in a social situation where my brain is maxed out & I'm being held hostage by some E who doesn't want to go home, or I'm being judged negatively for becoming very quiet and/or going home early. I don't turn down invites so much anymore, so E resentment against me for that has lessened.

Otherwise, I like being an introvert & don't see anymore disadvantages to it than being an E (which has its own disadvantages). Being shy, however, is hard. That I do not wish on anyone.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe