User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is being an introvert hard?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • it sucks! I want to be an extrovert! =(

3 4.62%
  • I would prefer being an extrovert, but being I is alright

7 10.77%
  • it is hard, but I still like being an introvert

22 33.85%
  • It's hard being I, but I'm neutral

5 7.69%
  • it's not hard being I, I'm neutral

7 10.77%
  • extroverts are awesome too, but I'm glad I'm I

6 9.23%
  • I love being an introvert! =D

9 13.85%
  • it's just a friggin letter, who cares?

6 9.23%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    yupp

I look at as with extreme I's being told to talk more is like extreme E's being told to shut the fuck up.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i wish i didn't need as much alone time, and that when everyone else is getting more socially active, i start getting drained or bored and zone out.

i've been unemployed for a long time, all i'm really qualified for is retail but working it drives me crazy. i have to misrepresent myself in interviews and pretend like i love being around people all day when that's definitely not true.

i guess i'm fine with it when i'm alone but when i'm around other people i get uncomfortable that i'm not engaging as much as i want to. i really hate when people call me quiet or say i don't talk much, even though it's usually true.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I'm quite alright with being an introvert. I used to be more of an extreme introvert, however... and that was a bit hard. Even my family gave me a hard time about not coming out of my room enough to interact with the fam. These day's, I'm quite social... but still lean towards the more private side. I used to get comments like, "I used to think you were such a b****, but then I realized you were just shy." So, I've actively worked towards at least coming off friendlier, even when I'm feeling quiet. It does cause me anxiety on occasion, but overall, I'm over that. I like my alone time, and my friends and family have come to respect that. And with people that don't know me well, I'm okay with the presumption that I must be mysterious. Though I'm sure it mostly comes off as "weird."
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Sniffles

It seems the best path is to avoid the extremes. Introverts need interaction with others too, although perhaps on a smaller scale than extraverts(crowds drain me), and Extraverts need alone time too. Too much alone time drives me crazy.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I don't really want to be an extrovert but it'd be nice to be more balanced. I'm pretty extreme in my introversion and introversion is really looked down on by society (oh you're unfriendly, you have no social skills, you're boring, you're snobby, you're a bad team player, etc etc etc)
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

^ Yeah, I do think it depends on degree. I have a very hard time extroverting enough to build relationships with people, make a positive impression when I need to, stop the continuous reflecting and analyzing when it would serve me better to just DO something and feel things out as I go along, etc. There are plenty of other introverts who don't seem to struggle in this way though.

I also think it depends on how much others' expectations matter to you. Everyone needs to make a good impression sometimes, for things like work search and dating and stuff, but some people feel like they have to make everyone like them and meet others' expectations all the time whether they feel like it or not. I'd think that would make it harder to be even a fairly balanced introvert. My mother (ISFJ) used to get agitated when she wanted to go out somewhere and she saw one of our neighbours outside. She'd feel guilty if she didn't feel like having a long, involved conversation, and she'd pace around and sigh until the neighbour went in.

I do get the feeling sometimes that extroversion is overappreciated while introversion is underappreciated. It definitely depends from the era and civilization. Western society tends to promote extraversion. Dynamism, expansion, the ability to step up, public speaking, high energy, living urban life to its fullest etc. This puts some pressure on many Is, the solution is propably to not give a fuck (unless you're extremely introverted, in which case you need to push your limits a little for your own comfort).

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ya sometimes it is... people always form a wrong impression of you when you just feel not like talking that day or when things you meant completly nice got intrepreted in a bad way. I tend to think to myself that if people tend to think of me wanting always something bad from them, are bad themselves that makes it easier at times. It still doesnt make it possible for you to say in just one minute all that billion things that are on your mind; tho I have gotten increasingly better with age
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ni

I like being an introvert. I like having minimal contact with people, even on the innanet. It's just who I am, and I'm quite unapologetic about it at this point in my life (not like I should have ever had to apologize). I stay relaxed this way. My family nickname is "The Stranger".

The one thing that can piss me off.... People who are close to me who know I am introverted, and they expect me to not have any extroverted interests. They basically tell me I'm trying to be someone I'm not. This is where a lot of misunderstanding comes from others. I still use a good amount of Fe. I like to engage people and be engaged, but when I'm done, I go back into my shell.

I don't know if people regard me as intelligent. I have noticed that people tend to hold me to this high-ass behavioral standard, and that bugs the shit out of me. I am generally well-behaved because I was raised that way, but if I have to tear some shit up and cuss somebody out, then I'm going to do it.

Also, looking back at this past month, I haven't had any long conversations with any adults. I just don't gain much insight unless I'm inside myself for a while. I'm always searching, and I always seem to find whatever it is within myself.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I think its important here to emphasize cognitive vs social introversion. My cognitive functions seem to make me an introvert. Socially, I tend to be more outgoing, people oriented, and welcoming than many extroverted friends. Infact, my friends have always thought of me as "brave" socially, as I don't fear bringing up difficult questions, or cutting right to the heart of a situation, no matter how "awkward" it is. I have mad skills at opening people up, and calming them down in uncertain or weird situations. So I don't really buy into cognitive introversion having a whole lot to do with people skills. As far as communication goes, I also don't have too much dificulty articulating my inner world. It may not be entirely concise or succinct, but it is expressed well enough to be mostly understood. If anything, I find the Intuition vs Sensing to be the more difficult communication barrier. I typically only feel "lonely" with people who do not understand me, usually from this difference. Nah, I wouldn't change anything in my type. Thats why its called "preference"... because I PREFER it =D

Oh ya, also going to add that being around really extreme extroverts is a bit strange for me. I will observe the need for constant external validation, the need to constantly have people around, be on the phone, etc. and I think.. how can you ever know yourself? When doyou find the time to know whats within? I would not want to be extreme on either end of the dichotomy.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts