User Tag List

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Which term should replace "user" when talking about cognitive functions?

People on this forum speak of terms like "Fi user", "Ti user", etc. I know they mean "user" to be those who don't have that function in their shadow. In other words its one of their top 4 functions. So Fi "users" are xxFP and xxTJ and Ti "users" are xxTP and xxFJ.

I don't like the term "user" because everybody uses every function. Sure there's a difference between those who have a function in their shadow and those who don't but it's still being used.

So I thought I'd ask the forum what term if any should replace the word "user"?

I was thinking of shadow vs. non-shadow.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ

I assume "user" as someone who has it in their dichotomy, like FPs. We all use them, but in the dominant context is how it's generally understood.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

The idea of using functions at all is a little conctroversal, as people don't deliberately express a given function for the most part. That said, the term used does make talking about things easier. I've got ino the habit of saying express instead, which sounds a little less premeditated.

I've also utilised the phrase "consciouse Fi user" to talk about someone with Fi in the first four functions. Actually, I don't like the term conciouse function either, once again because people aren't really aware of functions being expressed. Mostly though, it's all just semantics, and I refuse to get too bogged down in it. The concepts are what matter, regardless of what you callthem. It can create misunderstanding though.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

I propose "good guys" for NTJ users and "bad guys" or "evil" for other cognitive sets.

ReflecTcelfeR

Maybe we could speak about them as inclinations? For example "He was more inclined towards extraverted sensing than any other function.". It shows tendency and allows for a change in preference.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I don't see what's wrong with user. Someone calling someone else a "Ti user" is just a shortcut for saying that person is an FJ or a TP... 4 letters are easier to type than a more full explanation each time. Obviously people use all 8 functions (although I personally really think there are only four and preferred orientations for each), so people should just assume no one's saying otherwise.