User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Why accept something in yourself that is less than what is needed to do what is required?

We all have flaws, obviously, but it seems a lot of people don't even work on improving themselves.
    Adapting is what makes us human. Mastering new circumstances.

Why do you accept (major) flaws in yourself?
    Accepting yourself is a lot different than giving up.

There is a reality regarding personality traits and strengths/weaknesses in anyone. Accepting that those trends have held true in the past seems pretty smart. To think of past trends as limiting factors may be a mistake, but it's probably more of a mistake to ignore them, because then you're just throwing out data that could help you be strategic about the future.

All Natural! All Good!

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    In a vacuum there would be no internal standard either. Basically, without other people we couldn't really define ourselves at all. It would be weird. So, we have to let ourselves be judged by someone, but we can choose who they are. Well, most people don't choose, otherwise advertisements would just not work.
    You're right, that's true.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

[B]
    You can be content with yourself despite your flaws. No one is perfect.

The flipside of your flaws are often your strengths.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Why accept something in yourself that is less than what is needed to do what is required?

We all have flaws, obviously, but it seems a lot of people don't even work on improving themselves.
    Adapting is what makes us human. Mastering new circumstances.

I find that if I change one flaw, it creates another flaw.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by strychnine View Post
    What is 'required' in life, or in a given situation? Why not change the requirements to avoid having to change oneself? This can, however, be interpreted as running from a challenge instead of adapting to face it.
    Personally, I've identified flaws in myself, and I continue to do so, but that does not mean that I can fix the flaws as quickly as I can identify them. I can't.
    Agreed.

I think that accepting one's flaw's isn't equivalent to refusal to change or improve. Often the flaws take time to work on. But one shouldn't be too hard on their self either.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I personally think that people have a hugher problem nowadays with being themselves than with adapting to whats expected of them. They dont seem to understand that the world they live in is created by them and not by the ones who surround them
    "Everyone seeks to change the world, no one thinks to change him self." -Leo Tolstoy. Did I follow your point here correctly? I think it can be taken two fold. In one respect, it's that we refuse to change ourself, remaining ignorant and imperfect. In the other, it's that there is too much pressure to adapt to societal standards and not enough acceptance of living according to personal standards. But going to the original post, I suppose the focus is more on the former.

Quote Originally Posted by strychnine View Post
    Yeah, there is a (disturbing) tendency to adapt to society's 'requirements' at the expense of individuality. Some people act as if these external standards are objectively correct, and if you deviate, you are objectively wrong... rather than recognizing them as widely shared opinions. They are arbitrary.

I agree. I don't interpret changing the 'requirements' as running from a challenge, but some might, and maybe that is what you mean by vague pressure.

Then we get to the point about identifying one's flaws. No one is flawed (or anything else) with respect to themselves, so if we notice flaws at all, I wonder if they are necessarily due to external expectations. But it should be possible to improve towards an internal standard.
    Accepting or changing one's flaws isn't really a deviation from our individuality. It's about realizing in oneself, for example, "I am far too over emotional and incredibly irrational, and because of this I am my own worst enemy. I'm noticing this now as a trend in myself. It won't be easy to work on, but in order to grow as a person, I need to try. But don't be hard on yourself for this fault either. This is me, I'm sensitive." People have to grow. Otherwise we remain stagnant and unhappy.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Many times, people are rewarded for their flaws. It makes it difficult to change something that gets rewarded.

Also, it depends on what you think a flaw is. I'm sure that was a give-in though. To me, having no backbone and being unable to assert one's self when they want to do so is a major flaw.. but for someone else, it is simply who they are, not a flaw or a good trait. It just is for them.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

All Natural! All Good!

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    Accepting or changing one's flaws isn't really a deviation from our individuality. It's about realizing in oneself, for example, "I am far too over emotional and incredibly irrational, and because of this I am my own worst enemy. I'm noticing this now as a trend in myself. It won't be easy to work on, but in order to grow as a person, I need to try. But don't be hard on yourself for this fault either. This is me, I'm sensitive." People have to grow. Otherwise we remain stagnant and unhappy.
    True as long as we change towards an internal standard. If you change your flaws to fit in then yes, I think it's giving up individuality.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.