User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'd say the same for ISTP as well. Generally speaking, they're down to earth and unassuming. And when some can be obtrusive, they're really not.. It's like they might state a point where they think you're wrong, but stand back with a wait and see approach. They're just as amused with letting people go about and failing.
    Yes, I agree. I think the worst thing I've ever heard anyone say about an ISFP or an ISTP is that they're a bit "weird", or they don't "get them", or they're a bit "flaky", etc. But nothing worse, and generally they are well liked and viewed as quirky, fun, and easy to get along with.

I wonder if ISTP might be a tiny bit more likely to have that polarizing effect, as I think they might be somewhat more likely to behave in a manner perceived as inconsiderate of others' feelings.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I am like that, and skylights and shortsie made similar comments. It pushes me to make an effort to keep things smooth and pleasant, occasionally to the extent that I'm over-accommodating or slightly doormattish (though I'm better at finding a balance on this than I used to be.) So perhaps it is about that more so than type specifically, as it's not just certain types who want to get along with everyone...

or at least, that drive can override type inclinations, i would think.

i definitely have some thoughts in my head that would be rather polarizing should i express them, but i usually just choose not to... though i think it ends up backfiring a little sometimes in that i can give someone else too much leeway, and then when they don't extend the same kindness to me, i get extra angry not just for them being a jerk but also for taking advantage of what i've given them.

Also, I'm only going to be critical or angry with someone I feel fairly close to (typical INFJ) and again, I try to be diplomatic (unless I'm extremely angry) and I also try to be fair and am willing to criticize myself in a situation as well as other people.
    i'm basically like that also, unless pushed really far.

i vote ISFP for least polarizing as well. most people can easily relate to them, i think, and they tend to be kind to most people. I makes them a listener, S grounded, and F and P willing to accommodate a little to meet others. ISTPs are usually cool and laid back, but they have more of an "edge".

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I would vote ISFJ. I think anyone with Fi is automatically more likely to be polarizing.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I would vote ISFJ. I think anyone with Fi is automatically more likely to be polarizing.
    Do you mean dominant Fi or just "Fi users"? Regardless, I don't think it's quite that simple.

ISFPs and INFPs are dominant Fi but most of the time they kind, gentle, and accepting people. I don't see either type as very polarizing except maybe when a strong value of theirs has been crossed.

ESTPs and ENTPs are not "Fi users" but these types often come across as polarizing. Some ESTPs come across as rather blunt and tactless and ENTPs tend to start controversial debates for the fun of it.

ISFJs aren't very polarizing in general. Usually they try to be polite and considerate. However, some ISFJs once you get to know them well, start coming across as more rigid in the way they want things done and can be somewhat manipulative regarding emotions (usually the less healthy once). So in that sense they can be polarizing.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Yes, I agree. I think the worst thing I've ever heard anyone say about an ISFP or an ISTP is that they're a bit "weird", or they don't "get them", or they're a bit "flaky", etc. But nothing worse, and generally they are well liked and viewed as quirky, fun, and easy to get along with.

I wonder if ISTP might be a tiny bit more likely to have that polarizing effect, as I think they might be somewhat more likely to behave in a manner perceived as inconsiderate of others' feelings.
    Nah, ISTPs can be assholes. This is just you guys' perception and experience.

I agree about ISFPs, for the most part, but then you have people like Eminem.

I don't think there's any type that is exempt from polarizing behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Nah, ISTPs can be assholes. This is just you guys' perception and experience.

I agree about ISFPs, for the most part, but then you have people like Eminem.

I don't think there's any type that is exempt from polarizing behavior.
    Sure, anyone can be an asshole, but I think even when ISTPs are questionable, or hell, even criminal, they're not very proactive with people like that.

I don't know. The word "polarizing" kind of throws me off. It signifies some kind of drama queen. At worst, they could be screwed up, hurting people through selfish actions.. collateral damage if you will. That could be polarizing, I suppose.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Do you mean dominant Fi or just "Fi users"? Regardless, I don't think it's quite that simple.

ISFPs and INFPs are dominant Fi but most of the time they kind, gentle, and accepting people. I don't see either type as very polarizing except maybe when a strong value of theirs has been crossed.

ESTPs and ENTPs are not "Fi users" but these types often come across as polarizing. Some ESTPs come across as rather blunt and tactless and ENTPs tend to start controversial debates for the fun of it.

ISFJs aren't very polarizing in general. Usually they try to be polite and considerate. However, some ISFJs once you get to know them well, start coming across as more rigid in the way they want things done and can be somewhat manipulative regarding emotions (usually the less healthy once). So in that sense they can be polarizing.
    I agree that ISFJs are probably the least polarizing because they're the most likely to accept group harmony without rebelling against it (which ISFP is more likely to do) and are going to be less obtrusive about enforcing it than ESFJ.

I agree that IxFPs can be kind, gentle, accepting people...but then you have Kurt Cobain. I don't know sometimes why people think Fi doms are so innocent, they can be jerks just like anyone else, except they tend to either go away or find their own space, which is why they can be seen as less bothersome.

I act like an INFP a lot in person, like for example in my living situation - I make myself scarce except for when I'm being nice or friendly, if I don't like something my roommates are doing I just adjust and go away or do things to make things more tolerable for me (i.e. earplugs) rather than trying to enforce my values on them. On the other hand, if a major value is crossed (like one day I thought some pills on the ground would hurt the housepets and one of my roommates was laughing about it and being like "well that's on you") I got super pissed and that's out of character for me. I could be quiet and easy to get along with for months, then suddenly tell somebody they're being selfish and immature because they don't care about the health of the animals.

I'm guessing a lot of FPs are like this in general, it's one of the reasons why I questioned my introversion/extroversion because ever since high school if I don't like something...usually I go away and disappear, or I'll make a fuss on rare occasions where shit is just totally out of control or seriously violating my vaules.

On the other hand, a lot of my behavior seems more ENFP, especially on-line I'm a lot more opinionated and combative, and I was the same way in college - I'd always talk in class, speak up, and debate and argue with people. I also tend to initiate more and will be very expressive around people I'm comfortable with. I can also be loud sometimes, depending on the situation.

I'm like an xNFP.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Sure, anyone can be an asshole, but I think even when ISTPs are questionable, or hell, even criminal, they're not very proactive with people like that.

I don't know. The word "polarizing" kind of throws me off. It signifies some kind of drama queen. At worst, they could be screwed up, hurting people through selfish actions.. collateral damage if you will. That could be polarizing, I suppose.
    Polarizing just means some people strongly like you, and others strongly dislike you...whether that means you're a drama queen, a control freak, or an asshole who's always being rough and rowdy without consideration for others (which an STP is more likely to do)....you can be polarizing.

ReflecTcelfeR

^ ^ I have seen that within my INFP friend.

Anew Leaf

I have found people of all types to be polarizing. Either they are having some kind of "moment" or they feed on drama like a carnivorous worm.

It's all about individuals and where they each are at in their life stages. I had to give my 60+ year old ESTJ aunt a "time-out" at her mother's funeral a few years ago because I had had enough of the drama.