• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

People who have a polarizing effect

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Probably true...until you cross their values.
I definitely find ISFPs probably the most "likeable" out of all types, and they can typically fit into any group and be liked.

I don't know any ISFP's my age, nor have I ever been friends with one (which is too bad, actually - it's just that I've never come across any in my activities or had anything develop if I did come acrosst hem).

BUT my former boss was an ISFP and I *loved* her. She was the best supervisor ever. Very laid back, but *exceptionally* good with people, too. She'd somehow found her niche in the corporate world - which I think is unusual for ISFP's? - and while I think she tended not to be respected / taken as seriously by the leadership above her (which is too bad - she totally knew what she was doing and her team -all of us - loved her), she really tied us together as a team and there was no team dissatisfaction at all. Granted, she hired each and every one of us, so I think chose people she knew would get along with each other, but still, we were a pretty good assortment of mbti types and she was the one who held us all together and kept us all satisfied/happy with work environment. There was just nothing not to like about. She's probably the most pleasant, overall happy/positive person I've met. But again.. very mellow, and enjoyed a good time too. She'd joke, after having a somber team meeting, 'I think it's time for another happy hour. Who's in?' :) (Yes... I :heart: her :))

Sunny Ghost

I think everyone is polarizing to a certain extent. Comes hand in hand with having a style, a personal flavour.

Thinking back to obvious cases of dislike. A lot of the time people who didn't like me were guys that accused me of trying on some cool thing. Which was never true and always amused me. Then others saw me as quiet. Lately I must have evened out or not notice, I don't see any not liking of me. I see levels of like.
This makes sense, I suppose. My "polarizing" presence is typically with other women, but sometimes males. It's always with people in passing, never people I actually know. I keep thinking it's something I seem to give off that isn't really who I am, but what people seem to think I am. When people get to know me and if they give me a compliment, the compliment is usually along the lines of being real, always the same, never trying to be something I'm not, approachable and easy to talk to, caring, considerate and thoughtful. But I've been told that people thought I was a b**** before meeting me. Mostly because I'm quiet. So, I try to overcompensate and smile a lot and say hello, how are you, a lot. But I wonder if people take it for insincerity.

I don't think I've had anyone really dislike me for a long time, unless I'm really oblivious to it. I think some people are weirded out if I get intense about literature and that sort of thing, and might back off. And the occasional person has heard me moaning about how miserable I'm feeling about life, even just for a moment, and I think they've concluded I'm a downer.

However, I have had a few people tell me that when they first met me they thought I was a bit "scary" or "intimidating." I do give off an initial vibe to some people about having a "presence" or being "strong". But I think that has everything to do with being six feet tall and having a deep voice. They always seem to say "then I found out you were really sweet and cool" ;) It does make me a bit sad though because I wonder if some people just see this very tall woman with the booming voice and keep their distance - especially some scaredy-cat men!

I think ISFJs are right up there with the non-polarizing thing too, but they may be more likely than ISFPs to get judgmental or uptight, which could put some people off.
Funny how height can be intimidating to some. I've also found INFJ's to be a bit intimidating by nature, as well. One of my INFJ male friends always makes jokes that are too smart and over my head. And, so I usually don't get them and don't know how to respond and wind up uncomfortable. Another thing he does is make jokes that can be taken a few different ways. Usually winding up with me a bit paranoid. In general, I know he's a good person and we've been friends for a long time. But he still intimidates me time to time.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Funny how height can be intimidating to some. I've also found INFJ's to be a bit intimidating by nature, as well. One of my INFJ male friends always makes jokes that are too smart and over my head. And, so I usually don't get them and don't know how to respond and wind up uncomfortable. Another thing he does is make jokes that can be taken a few different ways. Usually winding up with me a bit paranoid. In general, I know he's a good person and we've been friends for a long time. But he still intimidates me time to time.

I think I just seem serious, which is definitely a bit of an INFJ thing. I'm probably not as serious-seeming as I used to be as I make a conscious effort to smile, ask people questions, maybe joke a bit if it's appropriate (good old Fe). But yeah, I guess a tall serious woman could be a little intimidating. ;)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yaaaay! You guys like us! You really like us! :hugs:

:heart:

My sister is ISFJ, I'm pretty sure, and she's the same in my family. She could be ISFP, but she seems to have the selfless quality associated with ISFJ. She's the least obtrusive person in my family. [...] I really think ISFJ though. It's like she lives to do things for other people, to the point of self-sacrifice. It's really over-the-top at times. She had this really tremendous work ethic, too, when she was younger before she became a stay-at-home mom.

Your ISFJ sister could be a 9w1, which is actually a pretty common type among ISFJs... They're less "on your face" than ISFJ 2s, I'd say.

yeah, viridian makes a good point there. i'm pretty sure that my grandma is ISFJ 1w2, and my grandpa i think ISFP 9w8. my grandma is absolutely wonderful and gentle but she is a little rigid in some ways. whereas grandpa is more relaxed, easygoing, and down-to-earth. i would never call her "polarizing", but she tends to be stubborn and can frustrate people at times. whereas i can't even really see grandpa frustrating anyone.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of my sisters is ESFP and she has a really strong polarizing effect on people. She's either a total bitch or they think she is utterly sweet and terrific. She also has had friendships that "blow up". The kind where they talk, gossip, go places, and hang out together and then "BOOM". Over what I think of as stupid stuff...like not attending a cook-out or something like that. I never understood that at all.

My ENTJ sister also has a polarizing effect but it is mostly negative. Fortunately for her, she doesn't seem to really care about it as long as stuff gets done. :laugh:

wolfy

awsm
This makes sense, I suppose. My "polarizing" presence is typically with other women, but sometimes males. It's always with people in passing, never people I actually know. I keep thinking it's something I seem to give off that isn't really who I am, but what people seem to think I am. When people get to know me and if they give me a compliment, the compliment is usually along the lines of being real, always the same, never trying to be something I'm not, approachable and easy to talk to, caring, considerate and thoughtful. But I've been told that people thought I was a b**** before meeting me. Mostly because I'm quiet. So, I try to overcompensate and smile a lot and say hello, how are you, a lot. But I wonder if people take it for insincerity.

They probably don't take it for insincerity if it isn't. This sounds strange but I noticed at some point that a lot of things I felt I was communicating I wasn't. And I just needed to be more open like that. Now I think I come across more chill and easy going than aloof like I could have in the past. The guys could have just been dicks though, mind you.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe those who act with high opinion (particularly in others), will have an equal and opposition reaction.