• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

S vs N difficulties

Do you have significant problems with people not your communication style?

• Total voters

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
If I'm in the mood to read Victor, I can absorb some meaning from his writings. I have no idea if what I absorb has anything to do with what he was thinking when he wrote it though.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I hate the term "sensotard." It's called being absent-minded. I'm absent-minded all the time, but I'm still a sensor.
I thought absent minded meant basically not paying attention. I was paying attention, but reaching a wildly incorrect conclusion.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@ DG - oh, i'm sorry. kinda like stalemate said... i use it in reference to moments where someone misses what's literally right in front of their nose... like my friend who ran into a door not once, but twice. the same door.
:laugh:

whereas absent-minded would be different... more like your glasses being on top of your head but forgetting they're there. just general distraction, as opposed to being blatantly oblivious to one's surroundings.

but maybe it's actually more a lack of Se than anything, and Si users experience that too?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Maybe I'm not an INTP after all. :shrug:

Why so? Because sometimes you can't comprehend Victor or because Ti posts are too long?

If it's the former... not all N's have to understand him. Just as I found multiple S's understand him.

If it's the latter... just because you have Ti in yourself does not mean you like it when others people use it.

/DG/

I thought absent minded meant basically not paying attention. I was paying attention, but reaching a wildly incorrect conclusion.

@ DG - oh, i'm sorry. kinda like stalemate said... i use it in reference to moments where someone misses what's literally right in front of their nose... like my friend who ran into a door not once, but twice. the same door. :laugh:

whereas absent-minded would be different... more like your glasses being on top of your head but forgetting they're there. just general distraction, as opposed to being blatantly oblivious to one's surroundings.

but maybe it's actually more a lack of Se than anything, and Si users experience that too?

Hmm... well according to Wikipedia:
Absent-mindedness said:
1. a low level of attention ("blanking" or “zoning out”);
2. intense attention to a single object of focus (hyperfocus) that makes a person oblivious to events around him or her; or
3. unwarranted distraction of attention from the object of focus by irrelevant thoughts or environmental events.

I suppose it could be related to Si as well, but I wonder if this would happen in any intensely introverted individual.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ hm, that could be true. does that make INFs the most klutzy of all?

;)

incidentally... door friend is an INFP...

/DG/

^ hm, that could be true. does that make INFs the most klutzy of all?

;)

incidentally... door friend is an INFP...

:laugh:

Well I've walked and ran into my share of open and closed doors, but never multiple times in a row! :laugh:

Flight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
7w8
all my intuitive friends love talking about lindsay lohan so we're cool

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I'm not an INTP after all. :shrug:

I sometimes have problems getting through Victors posts as well. Not all of them. Some I understand and find quite insightful. Others are like cryptic. Maybe its also an Ne vs. Ni thing. I think Victor has a more Ni style while I have a more Ne style.

Some of the Ti posts I find tedious to read. Like you said, I think its mostly a tl;dr thing.

I feel the same way when communicating with Ne/Ni dominants. When I'm communicating with N's I feel as if it's more work, yet I find it more rewarding. I find myself over-analyzing what they've said in an attempt to figure out whether or not there's really a deeper meaning beyond what has been actually stated. My Ti doesn't mind sifting through metaphors and analogies in the event I think there will be something of substance to decipher, yet at the same time when their posts/sentences are very verbose, I quickly lose interest. Also, I get the impression that lots of N's try too hard give their posts a cryptic read, thus leading to the entire reading experience seeming rather contrived on their part.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
no problem understanding people... I'm the lowest common denominator when we come to the subject of communication :cheese:

of course understanding doesn't mean that I don't think that the speaker is a complete dumbass, but dumbasses come in ALL types :yes:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: true... if I had communication problems I'd be out of a job pretty quickly!

Sunny Ghost

I don't think communication problems can be put under an umbrella of S vs. N difficulties.

If we're talking about a dominant Ne dealing with a dominant Te or Si... then perhaps.

Or a dominant Ni dealing with a dominant Se... then yes, perhaps there are communication difficulties.

However, if you're dealing with a feeler dominant and an intuitive, most likely, no.

I'm a feeler dominant, and I can't say I have communication difficulties that are obvious. And in the few cases where this can be problematic, because I am Fi first and foremost, I make greater attempts to understand. But honestly, I'm an ISFP and have had communication problems with even other ISFP's.

I'd put it more up to thinking and feeling to have a greater communication divide, as one prefers to deal with the world of logic and the other with emotions or values. And me being a feeler, I'd say I'm a bit more rational, thus the reason I sometimes bump into problems with even ISFP's or ESFP's.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Usually what happens is that they say something, I say I relate and say why, at which point it becomes obvious to them that I totally misunderstood what they meant. Whereas from their responses, it does not seem that they misunderstand me. I think they are adjusting to my communication style but I'm not adjusting to theirs. (I'm an S, thought I should add that since I have not type listed)

I don't have problems understanding, i just have problems to get my points across.

Does this mean that you don't have problems understanding Ss, but you have problems getting them to understand you?
If so, this is exactly what the Ns in my life would say about me, I think.