User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 166

  1. #1
    Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    950

    Thumbs up Does N accomodate S more than S accomodates N?

    Whether we are S or N, we must live in a world filled with objects with which we interact using our five senses. <--- This seems like an unavoidable part of the human experience. So would it not stand to reason that iNtuitives must become at least somewhat proficient in the purview of Sensing because they must use their eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and hands? In other words, regardless of preference, the Sensing world is unavoidable.

    Whereas, it is possible for those with a Sensing preference to operate relatively oblivious to the world of abstraction. In other words, a non-well-rounded S can conceivably focus on the concrete world around them and give little thought to concepts or theory or abstract ideas.

    Thus, my theory is that it usually falls upon the N to communicate in his non-native S language with Ss. By the same token, Ss very rarely try to communicate with Ns in the language of abstraction. In fact, they are usually unaware that there is a level of abstraction going on in their dealings with Ns.

    BTW, let's not lets this thread deteriorate into another, "It sucks to be an N living in an S world" thread. N is not superior to S, nor S to N. The purpose of this thread to discuss the theory I'm proffering, which is:


    1. Ns learn to communicate in an S style even though it's not their native language more often than Ss learn to communicate in an N style.
    2. The reason for this disparity is that even if one is born with an N preference, one cannot escape operating in the concrete world we are all born into. Thus, Ns have more practice with thinking in Sensing ways than vice versa.
    3. Points 1 and 2 explain why Ns feel like they are always the ones having to accommodate Ss, whereas Ss do little to accommodate Ns. It's not that Ss are inconsiderate per se. It's just that Ns must learn to speak in S whereas, Ss do not have to learn to speak in N.

    Any thoughts?
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

  2. #2
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Yes:

    1. I don't think physically interacting with the world is strictly an S activity. Functions just cannot be broken down like that into discrete behaviors. That kind of a view is taking the word "sensing" quite a bit too literally.

    2. I'm not seeing the connection between having to interact with the world via your senses and having to "speak S."

    3. I don't understand what it means to "speak S." Could you elaborate in a way that is not retarded?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  3. #3
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench
    Thus, my theory is that it usually falls upon the N to communicate in his non-native S language with Ss. By the same token, Ss very rarely try to communicate with Ns in the language of abstraction.
    That's my personal experience in my very-S family and religious culture -- I feel like I have been forced to speak in terms they grasp, whereas they have a lot of trouble seeing connections between things and often react with cynicism/skepticism, and only a few ever really manage to listen long enough to develop an understanding of where I might be coming from; N by nature goes into all frames in order to pattern-search, whereas S is lacking both need to engage and also tends to just think that N is imagining things if they can't see it readily at first. And in the points of contention I've had with family, typically I grasp where they are coming from long before they (if ever) recognize where I'm coming from, and there are unresolved issues because they just kind of wrote me off, whereas I was vulnerable because I understood their POV enough to try to accommodate without having the favor returned.

    So there's a confirmation from my pool of experience, to help you out; but that's all I care to say about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    3. I don't understand what it means to "speak S." Could you elaborate in a way that is not retarded?
    ...Yet another reason why I've given up discussing such things.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #4
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    Whether we are S or N, we must live in a world filled with objects with which we interact using our five senses. <--- This seems like an unavoidable part of the human experience. So would it not stand to reason that iNtuitives must become at least somewhat proficient in the purview of Sensing because they must use their eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and hands? In other words, regardless of preference, the Sensing world is unavoidable.

    Whereas, it is possible for those with a Sensing preference to operate relatively oblivious to the world of abstraction. In other words, a non-well-rounded S can conceivably focus on the concrete world around them and give little thought to concepts or theory or abstract ideas.

    Thus, my theory is that it usually falls upon the N to communicate in his non-native S language with Ss. By the same token, Ss very rarely try to communicate with Ns in the language of abstraction. In fact, they are usually unaware that there is a level of abstraction going on in their dealings with Ns.

    BTW, let's not lets this thread deteriorate into another, "It sucks to be an N living in an S world" thread. N is not superior to S, nor S to N. The purpose of this thread to discuss the theory I'm proffering, which is:


    1. Ns learn to communicate in an S style even though it's not their native language more often than Ss learn to communicate in an N style.
    2. The reason for this disparity is that even if one is born with an N preference, one cannot escape operating in the concrete world we are all born into. Thus, Ns have more practice with thinking in Sensing ways than vice versa.
    3. Points 1 and 2 explain why Ns feel like they are always the ones having to accommodate Ss, whereas Ss do little to accommodate Ns. It's not that Ss are inconsiderate per se. It's just that Ns must learn to speak in S whereas, Ss do not have to learn to speak in N.

    Any thoughts?
    Are you unaware of the world?

  5. #5
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    The majority of sensors I know, force their way of understanding on me yes. They usually make me rephrase things as often until they understand it. I try to avoid those people. Over the years I have become very calm for an extroverted person, that's why I am posting on online forums . But I figured its better and easier for me when I dont open my mouth. I learnt some rules of communication and phrases that always work and that has made it easier aswell.

    I suffer heavily from my perception, if you may say so, it is a huge undertaking for me to concentrate in the daily life and to speak appropiatly. At busy days I never end a day without a headache and this not because work was so hard.

    I'ld wish for many many people to see the world with a little more fun, N people included. And despite all that there are those other people, like my estj boss a woman with tremendous life experience and wisdom. She's definitly no N, I even already know her on a private basis so I can really judge. She speaks with me like we are equals and goes thru all the troubles decyphering the chaos that my brain spit out.

    People like her show me that there is always another possibility to the one one is used to and that gives me hope.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  6. #6
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    To me, it almost seems like people treat the S/N functions as: All N's are S's in addition, but not all S's are N's.

    So basically making N's look elite, and S's as lacking in mental strength. That's the vibe I get.

  7. #7
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    To me, it almost seems like people treat the S/N functions as: All N's are S's in addition, but not all S's are N's.

    So basically making N's look elite, and S's as lacking in mental strength. That's the vibe I get.
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...Yet another reason why I've given up discussing such things.
    It doesn't seem like you have.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  8. #8
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    I am convinced that the majority of mankind really is a strong mixture of N and S, tho they may prefer one when asked, I doubt there is something like a N artist elite or S racedriver champions, think these are mor the most extreme formes.

    Where I come from I sometimes have the feeling I am living in extreme Sensorcentral, cause having fantasy here really is a damn rare thing. But maybe everybody who feels lonely thinks so about his environment, I dont know. I am convinced that sensors get far too bad reputation on this board and I wonder what intention myers briggs had when they named the temeperaments as they did. It was everything but really clever
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  9. #9
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    To me, it almost seems like people treat the S/N functions as: All N's are S's in addition, but not all S's are N's.

    So basically making N's look elite, and S's as lacking in mental strength. That's the vibe I get.
    Yes. There's an air of superiority about it. The OP is baseless, it attempts to establish a conclusion from only possibilities and conjectures. I don't see any value in the whole line of thinking, honestly.

  10. #10
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...Yet another reason why I've given up discussing such things.
    Moi aussi. Si = sensitivity issues.

Similar Threads

  1. Does this site attract more than the average ASD poster?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2017, 06:01 PM
  2. [INTP] Does he like me as a friend or more than a friend?
    By meg11 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2015, 02:33 PM
  3. Does ESFPs generally have more Fe than ENFPs?
    By Elemental Chaos in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 10:25 AM
  4. Do sensors enjoy music more than the intuitive?
    By swordpath in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
  5. Which Stephen King books are worth reading more than once?
    By Totenkindly in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO