User Tag List

12311 Last

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Thumbs up Does N accomodate S more than S accomodates N?

Whether we are S or N, we must live in a world filled with objects with which we interact using our five senses. <--- This seems like an unavoidable part of the human experience. So would it not stand to reason that iNtuitives must become at least somewhat proficient in the purview of Sensing because they must use their eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and hands? In other words, regardless of preference, the Sensing world is unavoidable.

Whereas, it is possible for those with a Sensing preference to operate relatively oblivious to the world of abstraction. In other words, a non-well-rounded S can conceivably focus on the concrete world around them and give little thought to concepts or theory or abstract ideas.

Thus, my theory is that it usually falls upon the N to communicate in his non-native S language with Ss. By the same token, Ss very rarely try to communicate with Ns in the language of abstraction. In fact, they are usually unaware that there is a level of abstraction going on in their dealings with Ns.

BTW, let's not lets this thread deteriorate into another, "It sucks to be an N living in an S world" thread. N is not superior to S, nor S to N. The purpose of this thread to discuss the theory I'm proffering, which is:

1. Ns learn to communicate in an S style even though it's not their native language more often than Ss learn to communicate in an N style.
    2. The reason for this disparity is that even if one is born with an N preference, one cannot escape operating in the concrete world we are all born into. Thus, Ns have more practice with thinking in Sensing ways than vice versa.
    3. Points 1 and 2 explain why Ns feel like they are always the ones having to accommodate Ss, whereas Ss do little to accommodate Ns. It's not that Ss are inconsiderate per se. It's just that Ns must learn to speak in S whereas, Ss do not have to learn to speak in N.

Any thoughts?
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Yes:

1. I don't think physically interacting with the world is strictly an S activity. Functions just cannot be broken down like that into discrete behaviors. That kind of a view is taking the word "sensing" quite a bit too literally.

2. I'm not seeing the connection between having to interact with the world via your senses and having to "speak S."

3. I don't understand what it means to "speak S." Could you elaborate in a way that is not retarded?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench
    Thus, my theory is that it usually falls upon the N to communicate in his non-native S language with Ss. By the same token, Ss very rarely try to communicate with Ns in the language of abstraction.
    That's my personal experience in my very-S family and religious culture -- I feel like I have been forced to speak in terms they grasp, whereas they have a lot of trouble seeing connections between things and often react with cynicism/skepticism, and only a few ever really manage to listen long enough to develop an understanding of where I might be coming from; N by nature goes into all frames in order to pattern-search, whereas S is lacking both need to engage and also tends to just think that N is imagining things if they can't see it readily at first. And in the points of contention I've had with family, typically I grasp where they are coming from long before they (if ever) recognize where I'm coming from, and there are unresolved issues because they just kind of wrote me off, whereas I was vulnerable because I understood their POV enough to try to accommodate without having the favor returned.

So there's a confirmation from my pool of experience, to help you out; but that's all I care to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    3. I don't understand what it means to "speak S." Could you elaborate in a way that is not retarded?
    ...Yet another reason why I've given up discussing such things.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    Whether we are S or N, we must live in a world filled with objects with which we interact using our five senses. <--- This seems like an unavoidable part of the human experience. So would it not stand to reason that iNtuitives must become at least somewhat proficient in the purview of Sensing because they must use their eyes, ears, nose, tongue, and hands? In other words, regardless of preference, the Sensing world is unavoidable.

Whereas, it is possible for those with a Sensing preference to operate relatively oblivious to the world of abstraction. In other words, a non-well-rounded S can conceivably focus on the concrete world around them and give little thought to concepts or theory or abstract ideas.

Thus, my theory is that it usually falls upon the N to communicate in his non-native S language with Ss. By the same token, Ss very rarely try to communicate with Ns in the language of abstraction. In fact, they are usually unaware that there is a level of abstraction going on in their dealings with Ns.

BTW, let's not lets this thread deteriorate into another, "It sucks to be an N living in an S world" thread. N is not superior to S, nor S to N. The purpose of this thread to discuss the theory I'm proffering, which is:

1. Ns learn to communicate in an S style even though it's not their native language more often than Ss learn to communicate in an N style.
    2. The reason for this disparity is that even if one is born with an N preference, one cannot escape operating in the concrete world we are all born into. Thus, Ns have more practice with thinking in Sensing ways than vice versa.
    3. Points 1 and 2 explain why Ns feel like they are always the ones having to accommodate Ss, whereas Ss do little to accommodate Ns. It's not that Ss are inconsiderate per se. It's just that Ns must learn to speak in S whereas, Ss do not have to learn to speak in N.

Any thoughts?
    Are you unaware of the world?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

The majority of sensors I know, force their way of understanding on me yes. They usually make me rephrase things as often until they understand it. I try to avoid those people. Over the years I have become very calm for an extroverted person, that's why I am posting on online forums . But I figured its better and easier for me when I dont open my mouth. I learnt some rules of communication and phrases that always work and that has made it easier aswell.

I suffer heavily from my perception, if you may say so, it is a huge undertaking for me to concentrate in the daily life and to speak appropiatly. At busy days I never end a day without a headache and this not because work was so hard.

I'ld wish for many many people to see the world with a little more fun, N people included. And despite all that there are those other people, like my estj boss a woman with tremendous life experience and wisdom. She's definitly no N, I even already know her on a private basis so I can really judge. She speaks with me like we are equals and goes thru all the troubles decyphering the chaos that my brain spit out.

People like her show me that there is always another possibility to the one one is used to and that gives me hope.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISTx

To me, it almost seems like people treat the S/N functions as: All N's are S's in addition, but not all S's are N's.

So basically making N's look elite, and S's as lacking in mental strength. That's the vibe I get.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    To me, it almost seems like people treat the S/N functions as: All N's are S's in addition, but not all S's are N's.

So basically making N's look elite, and S's as lacking in mental strength. That's the vibe I get.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It doesn't seem like you have.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I am convinced that the majority of mankind really is a strong mixture of N and S, tho they may prefer one when asked, I doubt there is something like a N artist elite or S racedriver champions, think these are mor the most extreme formes.

Where I come from I sometimes have the feeling I am living in extreme Sensorcentral, cause having fantasy here really is a damn rare thing. But maybe everybody who feels lonely thinks so about his environment, I dont know. I am convinced that sensors get far too bad reputation on this board and I wonder what intention myers briggs had when they named the temeperaments as they did. It was everything but really clever
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post

Yes. There's an air of superiority about it. The OP is baseless, it attempts to establish a conclusion from only possibilities and conjectures. I don't see any value in the whole line of thinking, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Moi aussi. Si = sensitivity issues.