• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does N accomodate S more than S accomodates N?

redacted

I'm sure this has already been said, but if N-types really make up only 25% of the population, they should accommodate S-types more than S-types accommodate them.

Then again, the word "accommodate" seems a little bit off here.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ugh, I have so many mean and not-nice things to vent about this topic but I think instead I'll just say the following:

I'm an S and I've felt a little odd and different all of my life. I suspect though that this is a combination of my having mild Asperger's Syndrome, being an introvert in an extroverted world, and just plain being a human being on this planet. There are a great many times I have been misunderstood by N's and I've had to accommodate them as well.

I'm sorry, but everything the OP has described sounds like things I've had to do as well in my own lifetime so I don't see where he's coming from and I strong suspect this doesn't much to do with N/S and more to do with other variables or factors to be taken into consideration.

G

garbage

Validated how?

I wish I had more psychometrics training so that I could give a good answer. Maybe a form with obvious questions such as "As an INTP, do you actually relate to Fe being in the inferior position? [Y/N]" would be a start. Oh, as would a typology test with some actual test-retest reliability.

Basically, all the stuff that the theory posits about actual people--especially the basics--should be tested using, oh, actual people. It's not an easy task, but it still needs to be done if the theory is to be used scientifically.

As a side note, I think that Socionics would be a better theory for me to use to explain the point about the need for validation in typology, since that theory is pretty much "typology taken way, way too far with terribly little empirical backing" incarnate.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm sure this has already been said, but if N-types really make up only 25% of the population, they should accommodate S-types more than S-types accommodate them.

Yeah, it's definitely the most logical thing, so I don't blame "the-S-types", but still, it can be quite annoying sometimes imho when people don't even try to see something out of your perspective(not necessarily only in the sense of N vs S, but often). Example: I often have issues getting along with ESTPs. Their jokes are mainly physical/factual, while mines usually are very theoretical and often purely verbal. One ESTP I got to know throwed a burning lighter at me - I were completely baffled why someone should do such a thing and thought at first he would have serious antipathy against me, he on the other side simply meant it as fun. Other way around, when I made a joke about him, he responded angrily "Do you want to insult me?". I get along with him now because we both got that we're different in this topic - I like to stay in the theoretical realm and only switch to the physical reality if it's necessary, he likes to stay in the physical reality and only switches to theory if really necessary. But many ESTPs I met simply weren't aware of this difference and thought I wouldn't like them, so they don't like me now, purely because of a misunderstanding.

Ugh, I have so many mean and not-nice things to vent about this topic but I think instead I'll just say the following:

I'm an S and I've felt a little odd and different all of my life. I suspect though that this is a combination of my having mild Asperger's Syndrome, being an introvert in an extroverted world, and just plain being a human being on this planet. There are a great many times I have been misunderstood by N's and I've had to accommodate them as well.

I'm sorry, but everything the OP has described sounds like things I've had to do as well in my own lifetime so I don't see where he's coming from and I strong suspect this doesn't much to do with N/S and more to do with other variables or factors to be taken into consideration.

There are many areas in which you can be different from most people and which can make you feel odd, and the N/S distinctions is imho just one of them. Still, I'd say that most of the N-Doms have serious issues with being misunderstood, while only a rather small percentage of the S-Doms have serious issues with this, so I wouldn't say it doesn't play much of a role.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yep.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!

Of course, but why do we need facts like that, when we can just shit all over the place! :cheese:

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
The accommodations seem to be roughly equal... maybe slightly favoring N...

N+Hotel+1+cdo+cagayan+de+oro+city+of+golden+friendship.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol...this thread is silly...whether the S or N is more accomodating depends on the individual N or S....maybe some *types* of people are less accomodating than others, and it has nothing to do with the N/S line...I think FPs in general are fairly accomodating...my ESFP mother is very accomodating...on the other hand, my ISTJ grandfather could be a beligerent, judgmental asshole who insisted that math was the right thing to be good at, not literature or art!

Then again, an ISFJ could be fairly accomodating and sweet, depending on their Fe...so it's not even the J/P divide, either.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

WTF? So if one is a minority, one should automatically bow to others? Should African Americans and Mexican Americans be more accomodating of whites?

Should gays be more accomodating of straights then straights are of them?

I don't like your logic.

redacted

Yeah, it's definitely the most logical thing, so I don't blame "the-S-types", but still, it can be quite annoying sometimes imho when people don't even try to see something out of your perspective(not necessarily only in the sense of N vs S, but often). Example: I often have issues getting along with ESTPs. Their jokes are mainly physical/factual, while mines usually are very theoretical and often purely verbal. One ESTP I got to know throwed a burning lighter at me - I were completely baffled why someone should do such a thing and thought at first he would have serious antipathy against me, he on the other side simply meant it as fun. Other way around, when I made a joke about him, he responded angrily "Do you want to insult me?". I get along with him now because we both got that we're different in this topic - I like to stay in the theoretical realm and only switch to the physical reality if it's necessary, he likes to stay in the physical reality and only switches to theory if really necessary. But many ESTPs I met simply weren't aware of this difference and thought I wouldn't like them, so they don't like me now, purely because of a misunderstanding.

See, I'm just wary of blaming conversation misses on the S/N divide. There are two main factors at play here -- one is that the samples people have on this matter are too small to make predictive judgments about unknown new members of a certain type. But more important is this: how does anyone really know if their typings are correct? I've seen so many people who think they are Ns being quite biased about using the S label to describe those who "don't understand" or whatever. I've definitely been guilty of this myself (and maybe still am to an extent).

Some of my best interactions are with S types, mainly because we compliment each other in conversation. When "debating" with another N, the conversation sometimes spins off into oblivion. Sure, I get frustrated from time to time with people dismissing my ideas, and maybe the dismissal looks a bit different on average from S types to N types, but most people don't really want to listen to anyone else anyway.

I like hanging out with a good mix of S types and N types; we all have different conversation specializations and it makes discussion much more wide-ranging. Obviously there are times when I prefer certain styles to others, but it's hard to say that's entirely a type thing anyway.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
lol...this thread is silly...whether the S or N is more accomodating depends on the individual N or S....maybe some *types* of people are less accomodating than others, and it has nothing to do with the N/S line...I think FPs in general are fairly accomodating...my ESFP mother is very accomodating...on the other hand, my ISTJ grandfather could be a beligerent, judgmental asshole who insisted that math was the right thing to be good at, not literature or art!

Then again, an ISFJ could be fairly accomodating and sweet, depending on their Fe...so it's not even the J/P divide, either.
Keirsey actually classifies types into Preemptive, Contending, Collaborating, and Accommodating. The "Accommodating" ones are ISFP, ISFJ, INTP, and INFP in Keirsey terms.

ISTJ would be contending and ESFP collaborating.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Then ExFPs are Collaborative? I would think Collaborative and Accomodating would be the easiest to get along with.

The Accomodating ones make sense, too.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Then ExFPs are Collaborative? I would think Collaborative and Accomodating would be the easiest to get along with.

The Accomodating ones make sense, too.
Yeah, here is the full breakdown:

Preemtping: ESTP, ESTJ, ENTJ, ENFJ
Contending: ISTP, ISTJ, INTJ, INFJ
Collaborating: ESFP, ESFJ, ENTP, ENFP
Accommodating: ISFP, ISFJ, INTP, INFP

I find it interesting that xSFJ and xNFJ are in such different categories as well as xSTP and xNTP.

Noon

Yeah, here is the full breakdown:

Preemtping: ESTP, ESTJ, ENTJ, ENFJ
Contending: ISTP, ISTJ, INTJ, INFJ
Collaborating: ESFP, ESFJ, ENTP, ENFP
Accommodating: ISFP, ISFJ, INTP, INFP

I find it interesting that xSFJ and xNFJ are in such different categories as well as xSTP and xNTP.

So contending = chart the course, accomodating = behind the scenes, etc?

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
So contending = chart the course, accomodating = behind the scenes, etc?
I can't find exact definitions right now but "contending" is more similar to "competitive" in this sense. It is more about interaction style I guess. This post on brainsandcareers mentions these terms briefly in breaking down the whole new Keirsey naming scheme where, for example, ENFP is a Diplomatic Collaborator / Advocator where the old term was "Champion." http://brainsandcareers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=117

Keirsey's latest book uses all the new terms and I haven't read the whole thing yet and am still getting used to the terminology.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think both the Collaborating or the Accommodating groups would fit with "accommodating" as meant in this thread actually.

Noon

I can't find exact definitions right now but "contending" is more similar to "competitive" in this sense. It is more about interaction style I guess. This post on brainsandcareers mentions these terms briefly in breaking down the whole new Keirsey naming scheme where, for example, ENFP is a Diplomatic Collaborator / Advocator where the old term was "Champion." http://brainsandcareers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=117

Keirsey's latest book uses all the new terms and I haven't read the whole thing yet and am still getting used to the terminology.

I'll check out the thread. I always wondered how and why the types were given those names.
Thanks.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

"Advocator" isn't a word.