User Tag List

First 123412 Last

ThatGirl

The problem is that S with S still exists, while N needs to enter S to evolve into something tangable.

I think it is twice the work to get S on board with N than it is to get N on board with S. Then again, good N can be pretty fucking stubborn.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Ugh. As though there are S and N ways of doing/seeing things that all or even most Ss/Ns are on board with. Like they're clubs or something.

This makes me think that most of you probably type as S anyone who annoys you IRL.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yea, but then again all the weirdos get the N label, what gets you in really difficult situations when you trusted that people eating lunatic with only being a confused nice intp
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP

Trying to take emotions totally out of it, my experience has been that my S friends probably accommodate me equally, even if they sometimes think I'm probably nuts or possibly find some of my areas of nerdiness boring. (there are also areas of their nerdiness I find boring, and I think that's more individual-driven). As far as S-accommodation, I will say that I have experienced that more in the typical SJ-Guardians-of-the-way-people-should-act-in-decent-society stuff. When you get a large group of unchallenged and very traditional SJs, you get very little in the way of listening to other perspectives or trying to understand them. But then, I see something similar when you get a bunch of elitist, self-congratulatory Ns who refuse to accept real-world data that is right in front of their faces. I am equally frustrated with both.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    It doesn't seem like you have.
    Did you see me discussing it, or me just putting in my POV and getting the hell out without doing a back-and-forth about the topic? (Or do you define "discussion" in a way that doesn't include an actual "discussion"?)

I considered just writing her privately.
    I'll just do that next time, thanks.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IsFJ

I must say, firstly, I don't see any ill will in your posts, and you seem aware of the sterotypes oft-invoked in such discussions, so tip o' the hat to you, Ms. Wench! This thread might just not become a conflagration.

That said, I must take issue with the idea that Sensors don't have to "speak N" - as an university student, I am often exposed to abstract ideas even in more "concrete" courses (Journalism, for instance which tends to attract quite a few STJs, or so I hear). The world often seems like a complex place to me, an iNtuitive*, so I imagine Sensors feel a bit lost as well; we're both missing a part of the puzzle in that way, as well as in many others. It's not that rare for someone, N or S, feel like the world is a labirynthine place.

* Some people think I'm an ISFP or ISFJ, so take that with a grain of salt, I guess.

ThatGirl

Ugh. As though there are S and N ways of doing/seeing things that all or even most Ss/Ns are on board with. Like they're clubs or something.

This makes me think that most of you probably type as S anyone who annoys you IRL.
    Ugh,That's why it is called a function. There are similarities between similar minds. that's why I said n can be stubborn as hell, I've fought to death with other ns about who was right, and we had to take the scenario into s territory to come to an agreenment.

Anyway, my post wasn't speaking interpersonally. The same conflict can go on inside one persons thought process.

All Natural! All Good!

Thus, my theory is that it usually falls upon the N to communicate in his non-native S language with Ss. By the same token, Ss very rarely try to communicate with Ns in the language of abstraction. In fact, they are usually unaware that there is a level of abstraction going on in their dealings with Ns.
    Your theory fits with my experience.
    I notice the same unawareness from S-types that are not familiar with MBTI. I think it's because there are more Ss than Ns in the world, so Ss have less incentive to speak N than Ns to do speak S.
    Also, I'm not going to try and explain what I mean by N vs. S speak, but I agree that there is a difference. A similar shitstorm ensued when I tried to point this out in my thread about anti-S bias, if anyone still remembers that stupid thing. lolz.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I fully understand where the OP is coming from and don't see this as a possible mud throwing competition

If there are more S's in the world then it would make complete sense for an N to have to try and speak the language in order to gain some returns. But just as with anything in this life, put the effort in and you'll see the gains.

i do this with N people, some are easier to speak to than others .. I won't hold it against them. It's easier to understand now i am fully aware.

I find personally that S speak is easy IRL but N speak is easier in one's mind.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

1. I don't think physically interacting with the world is strictly an S activity. Functions just cannot be broken down like that into discrete behaviors. That kind of a view is taking the word "sensing" quite a bit too literally.
    Caveat: I don't know if I can really fully understand what it is to be S, so I'm just muddling my way through and explaining it as I see it. If I'm taking "sensing" a bit too literally, I apologize. Can you explain it any better to help me understand it more?

2. I'm not seeing the connection between having to interact with the world via your senses and having to "speak S."
    3. I don't understand what it means to "speak S." Could you elaborate in a way that is not retarded?
    This is a quote about what it is to be a Sensor from www.myersbriggs.org:

Sensing (S): Paying attention to physical reality, what I see, hear, touch, taste, and smell. I’m concerned with what is actual, present, current, and real. I notice facts and I remember details that are important to me. I like to see the practical use of things and learn best when I see how to use what I’m learning. Experience speaks to me louder than words.

So when I say speaking S, I mean that when Ss speak they tend to talk about their physical reality more than their impressions or the meaning and patterns of the information they see.

You're right, of course, that for the sake of this argument, I'm putting what it is to be S into a neat little package of "S speak." I don't want to minimize the complexity of being an S. The best I can do is to explain how it seems to be from my N perspective. I'm open to corrections, clarifications if you think I've got it wrong.

So to reiterate, my theory is that Ns must operate in the S realm of thinking. Being a human being forces Ns to do this. But being a human being doesn't necessarily require anyone to think in the N realm. Ergo, Ns have more practice using their Sensing preference and this, in general, makes it easier for Ns to connect with and accommodate S thinking than vice versa.
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀