First 614151617 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    Keirsey actually classifies types into Preemptive, Contending, Collaborating, and Accommodating. The "Accommodating" ones are ISFP, ISFJ, INTP, and INFP in Keirsey terms.

ISTJ would be contending and ESFP collaborating.
    I can't find exact definitions right now but "contending" is more similar to "competitive" in this sense. It is more about interaction style I guess. This post on brainsandcareers mentions these terms briefly in breaking down the whole new Keirsey naming scheme where, for example, ENFP is a Diplomatic Collaborator / Advocator where the old term was "Champion." http://brainsandcareers.com/phpBB3/v....php?f=4&t=117

Keirsey's latest book uses all the new terms and I haven't read the whole thing yet and am still getting used to the terminology.
    These are the new "roles of interaction" Keirsey introduced in that book, which are the same as Berens' Interaction Styles. He finally took the final step of dividing the eight "intelligence variants" by I/E to get the four roles, like berens had done.

Though three of those names I never heard. When the book first came out, you saw the names "Initiator", "Responder" and "Coworker".

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Then ExFPs are Collaborative? I would think Collaborative and Accomodating would be the easiest to get along with.

The Accomodating ones make sense, too.
    Those are the Role-Informatives, which are the most "responsive" (people rather than task-oriented) on the social level.

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    So contending = chart the course, accomodating = behind the scenes, etc?
    Yes. ("Accomodating" was "Responder". "Accomodating" is the name of the informative introvert in the Thomas Kilman Inventory as well). And Collaborator=Coworker=Get Things going, and Preemptive=Initiator=In Charge.
    Last edited by Eric B; 05-06-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

All Natural! All Good!

I thought the 'confusion' (though I was not confused) was because advocate is also a noun.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by strychnine View Post
    I thought the 'confusion' (though I was not confused) was because advocate is also a noun.
    and in France, un avocat is a lawyer

isn't learning fun?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I can't find exact definitions right now but "contending" is more similar to "competitive" in this sense. It is more about interaction style I guess. This post on brainsandcareers mentions these terms briefly in breaking down the whole new Keirsey naming scheme where, for example, ENFP is a Diplomatic Collaborator / Advocator where the old term was "Champion." http://brainsandcareers.com/phpBB3/v....php?f=4&t=117

Keirsey's latest book uses all the new terms and I haven't read the whole thing yet and am still getting used to the terminology.
    While I like being called a Champion or an Advocator (I like this: "note the name has been updated to Advocator, which was chosen because it literally means (ad-voc-a-tor) "to give voice" to ideas, beliefs or causes."), identifying myself with Diplomatic CoWorker seems far too entrenched in capitalism as a way to define my entire personality.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest
    isn't learning fun?
    advocator

latin advocare + ending "-r"

advocare = ad vocare

ad, to/towards/in favor of
    vox, voice, vocare, to vocalize

ad vocare, to vocalize in favor of
    vocat, third person present indicative
    ad+vocat, (he) vocalizes in favor of

french avocat, pleader (as opposed to the avoué (who prepares the case))
    english advocate, to speak in favor

-r ending, transforms verb into noun identified as that which performs verb

"that which vocalizes in favor of"

advocator

i like words

==

incidentally while i appreciate the attempt to find better words i think i am much more of a "champion" than a "diplomatic coworker". that makes me sound like i will not fight you. that would be an unfortunate misunderstanding.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Haha, I made you look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    advocator

latin advocare + ending "-r"

advocare = ad vocare

ad, to/towards/in favor of
    vox, voice, vocare, to vocalize

ad vocare, to vocalize in favor of
    vocat, third person present indicative
    ad+vocat, (he) vocalizes in favor of

french avocat, pleader (as opposed to the avoué (who prepares the case))
    english advocate, to speak in favor

-r ending, transforms verb into noun identified as that which performs verb

"that which vocalizes in favor of"

advocator

i like words

==

incidentally while i appreciate the attempt to find better words i think i am much more of a "champion" than a "diplomatic coworker". that makes me sound like i will not fight you. that would be an unfortunate misunderstanding.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Nice try.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    actually i'm a word nerd, i already knew all that which... if any of it's wrong, that'd be my fault, lol.

my high school bio teacher was really into etymology and spent half the year teaching us how to break words down and recognize common prefixes, suffixes, and latin and greek roots. i liked the biology and it was useful but to be honest the word breakdown was possibly one of the most useful lessons i have ever learned. plus i've taken french for like... forever. so "advocator" was pretty easy. "ad" means towards - learned that in bio; "voca" is about voice, know that because there's a planned parenthood group named "vox" which is latin for "voice" (plus just "vocal" being an obvious related word), and "-are" is a standard latin verb form, and "(vowel)t" is the 3rd p. pres. indicative - and "-r", that's just easy to figure out - so yeah.

and then i just knew the french business thanks to french history/culture classes. though admittedly i did look up "avoué", because i couldn't remember the difference between the avoué and the agreé - actually i'm still not sure what the agreé does. some kind of french lawyery things.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

[QUOTE=skylights;1561133]actually i'm a word nerd, i already knew all that which... if any of it's wrong, that'd be my fault, lol./QUOTE]

Drats! Foiled again...
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

An Exchange at Work.
    S: Our analyser is having multiple problems. We can't clear it's memory, and we are getting random error messages while testing particular analytes.
    N: OOO, I've seen this before! On a completely unrelated machine.
    S: *rolls eyes*
    N: It was a mother board problem. It shorted, and we got all these random unrelated errors, kinda like what we are getting now.
    S: Could be. It's possible. But I can't get the technition based on a hunch you are having.
    N: Why not?
    S: We've gone over this, Crystal, you can't call in the technition without presenting concrete facts. P.s. We're scientists, we don't believe in magic.

This is a real exchange, which doesn't paint me in the best of lights admittedly, but best I could do under short notice.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]