• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think I was two letters off.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(Sorry, I should've posted this in What's My Type)

I want someone to shoot holes in my conclusion: I am actually an ENFP.

Typing myself has been difficult. Not only am I fuzzy on how Functions actually express myself, I'm also pretty bad with self analysis.

Let me justify how I could test and seem so far off the mark:

I was raised in a religious cult (true story, don't worry, I'm mostly better now).
I had social anxiety as a teenager.
I used technology and the sciences as a way to connect to my father, who was a science fiction fan and technophile.

Here are reasons that I am EF, or at least why I'm not an IT:

I like INTPs and ENTPs, but they kind of repulse me, also. Literally, there's this part in many of them that seems to be empty or purposefully distant. I've always found it kind of disturbing.

Although I am a computer geek and self-proclaimed Linux guru. I have never actually sat down and tried to figure out something on the computer for knowledge's sake, it's always for the purpose of trying to make something specific happen.

I have a pattern when it comes to me joining a group of people. I always manage to impress them, I tend to over commit myself and then flake out. This has happened more times than I'd like to admit.

In elementary school I used to dress like Crockett from Miami vice, participated in dress like a cowboy day. During one year of middle school I went the whole year wearing a white lab coat and carrying a doctor's bag. I like shopping for clothes.

In school I liked to learn little Mr Wizard tricks, or gain a new skill, and then parade them around school. Like once I figured out how to shock yourself using a 9v battery and a transformer and then lined all kinds of people up in the school yard to have a 'chain electrocution'. Or once I learned how to write Olde English letters in calligraphy and offered to the Mexican gangsta chicks to write their names for them.

I'm prone to having visions and premonitions. I know how science works, so I think of them as connection to my subconscious. Also I value meaning over hard facts in life, and I honestly believe that scientific advances are only window dressing on the real issue: the human condition, which doesn't fundamentally change.

So, conclusive enough? I'm sure I can scrounge up more.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haha, actually, I have suspected for a while that you might be ISTP (what with the MacGyver thing you have going and some other clues).

Have you retaken some tests or talked to people who know you well (without necessarily mentioning personality theory, just a general talk about outside vs inside perspective)?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haha, actually, I have suspected for a while that you might be ISTP (what with the MacGyver thing you have going and some other clues).

Have you retaken some tests or talked to people who know you well (without necessarily mentioning personality theory, just a general talk about outside vs inside perspective)?

I've read here.. and I almost always relate to the ENFP posts here. Also I've been doing enneagram tests and I'm testing consistently as 7w8, which is a bit odd for an INTP. I'll try retesting for MBTI maybe in a few months. I'm still changing, it's an unexpected experience at 32.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
your OP makes you sound ISFP, not ENFP. You especially don't seem extroverted.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
your OP makes you sound ISFP, not ENFP. You especially don't seem extroverted.

I'll take that under advisement. I really really feel like an N though...

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(Sorry, I should've posted this in What's My Type)

I want someone to shoot holes in my conclusion: I am actually an ENFP.

Typing myself has been difficult. Not only am I fuzzy on how Functions actually express myself, I'm also pretty bad with self analysis.

Let me justify how I could test and seem so far off the mark:

I was raised in a religious cult (true story, don't worry, I'm mostly better now).
I had social anxiety as a teenager.
I used technology and the sciences as a way to connect to my father, who was a science fiction fan and technophile.

Here are reasons that I am EF, or at least why I'm not an IT:

I like INTPs and ENTPs, but they kind of repulse me, also. Literally, there's this part in many of them that seems to be empty or purposefully distant. I've always found it kind of disturbing.Although I am a computer geek and self-proclaimed Linux guru. I have never actually sat down and tried to figure out something on the computer for knowledge's sake, it's always for the purpose of trying to make something specific happen.

I have a pattern when it comes to me joining a group of people. I always manage to impress them, I tend to over commit myself and then flake out. This has happened more times than I'd like to admit.

In elementary school I used to dress like Crockett from Miami vice, participated in dress like a cowboy day. During one year of middle school I went the whole year wearing a white lab coat and carrying a doctor's bag. I like shopping for clothes.

In school I liked to learn little Mr Wizard tricks, or gain a new skill, and then parade them around school. Like once I figured out how to shock yourself using a 9v battery and a transformer and then lined all kinds of people up in the school yard to have a 'chain electrocution'. Or once I learned how to write Olde English letters in calligraphy and offered to the Mexican gangsta chicks to write their names for them.

I'm prone to having visions and premonitions. I know how science works, so I think of them as connection to my subconscious. Also I value meaning over hard facts in life, and I honestly believe that scientific advances are only window dressing on the real issue: the human condition, which doesn't fundamentally change.

So, conclusive enough? I'm sure I can scrounge up more.

With the bolded part, do you think you see their Ti as distant and empty(you know, since it is focused on impersonal content), I suspect if you are ENFP it might put it in that context.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With the bolded part, do you think you see their Ti as distant and empty(you know, since it is focused on impersonal content), I suspect if you are ENFP it might put it in that context.

I guess I never considered it from a function point of view, this is probably true. If so it helps me understand Ti more.. that dark place in INTPs hearts. :D

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I guess I never considered it from a function point of view, this is probably true. If so it helps me understand Ti more.. that dark place in INTPs hearts. :D

That dark place in INTPs' hearts...? :shock:

Would you mind elaborating on what specifically disturbs you about NTPs? What do you mean by "distant and empty"? What makes NTPs repulsive to you?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That dark place in INTPs' hearts...? :shock:

Would you mind elaborating on what specifically disturbs you about NTPs? What do you mean by "distant and empty"? What makes NTPs repulsive to you?

Actually I said empty or distant, it's a small difference, but still meaningful to me. Robopop probably was right. And I probably should have tempered my use of words. And by repulse I meant that it feels either like either I'm being pushed away from a person or maybe bouncing off of. I'm not sure I can be any less vague about it, because I don't quite understand it. It's not everyone, but the impression was hard to ignore on INTPc especially.

wolfy

awsm
I never really questioned your type but now that you bring it up... I suppose you never gave that smart aleck vibe. I would say that maybe you were one letter off and infp. If I was going to say someone with a similar style I would maybe go with udog.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^^ I could definitely see myself being MBTI brothers with Udoggster.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually I said empty or distant, it's a small difference, but still meaningful to me. Robopop probably was right. And I probably should have tempered my use of words.

My bad, seems like I didn't pay attention to the conjunction earlier - thanks for explaining. :) I can see the point Robopop was trying to make. I don't think it was necessary for you to temper your use of words; I didn't take anything you said too seriously/literally, so it's not a problem.

And by repulse I meant that it feels either like either I'm being pushed away from a person or maybe bouncing off of. I'm not sure I can be any less vague about it, because I don't quite understand it. It's not everyone, but the impression was hard to ignore on INTPc especially.

Hmm... I think I might understand what you're trying to get to here (if I'm way off, feel free to point that out :laugh:).

Recently I've come to understand that in some ways, I am very inaccessible. I seldom disclose my emotional experiences or true opinions to others... and the strange thing is that it's not intentional. I'm generally honest and believe in "telling like it is" for the most part. I don't consciously withhold information about myself, and yet seem to manage to avoid talking about my own feelings or stances about 90% of the time (unless the subject of the conversation directly relates to me, of course).

In the past few months, I've come to notice how I so often discuss matters without really mentioning my true opinions. I keep suggesting new possibilities and different POVs to my conversation partner, taking note of the person's responses to each of them. Often the result of such conversations is that I understand pretty much every aspect of the other person's argument/POV, while the other person has little to no idea where I stand on the issue. I've seen many that simply assume what my take on an issue would be based on their preconceived notions of me - not surprisingly, most of them are way off the mark.

While I don't do these things with malice, I can certainly see how my communication style can be frustrating to those who are trying to identify with me emotionally (I understand that there are people who "connect" with other people via sharing/empathy). I've had a couple of close friends testify that they feel like they've hit a wall with me sometimes because of my lack of "relateability." I understand and empathize with people's discomfort with the impersonal as I've experienced similar things myself with certain people. I am becoming more and more outspoken as of late, and regard such changes as personal growth.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I never really questioned your type but now that you bring it up... I suppose you never gave that smart aleck vibe. I would say that maybe you were one letter off and infp. If I was going to say someone with a similar style I would maybe go with udog.

This, but I would buy INxP for you. You are similar to Udog, but still different. I actually feel both a thinker and a feeler vibe from you, and your past experiences may have made you have to develop more balance. I don't feel ENFP from you at all. Like, at ALL.

rav3n

I'd be shocked (keep that 9V away from me) if you were an ENFP. It's possible you're an F but have you ever noticed how we react more strongly to our own type flaws?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd be shocked (keep that 9V away from me) if you were an ENFP. It's possible you're an F but have you ever noticed how we react more strongly to our own type flaws?

This. Maybe you are simply a bit more balanced (life experience, etc) and sensitive towards some younger specimen's un(der)developed Fe. That's a good thing and simply makes you a more rounded person.

Personally, I see you as IXtP.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Recently I've come to understand that in some ways, I am very inaccessible. I seldom disclose my emotional experiences or true opinions to others... and the strange thing is that it's not intentional. I'm generally honest and believe in "telling like it is" for the most part. I don't consciously withhold information about myself, and yet seem to manage to avoid talking about my own feelings or stances about 90% of the time (unless the subject of the conversation directly relates to me, of course).

I used to do this, but for completely different reasons. I wanted people to like me and I lacked a lot of opinions I was on the fence about everything. So I tended to project whatever part of me that someone else would like best and connect to them personally on that. This leads to odd situations where people thought I just happened to be more interested in their interests than I was, and uneven feelings on levels of involvement.

Now, and only recently I match my vibe with people, but don't hide myself. And I assault those more introverted than myself. Not intentionally, but I end up talking a lot and trying to forcibly extract participation from them. Then sometimes they look as if I've clubbed them over the head.

While I don't do these things with malice, I can certainly see how my communication style can be frustrating to those who are trying to identify with me emotionally (I understand that there are people who "connect" with other people via sharing/empathy). I've had a couple of close friends testify that they feel like they've hit a wall with me sometimes because of my lack of "relateability." I understand and empathize with people's discomfort with the impersonal as I've experienced similar things myself with certain people. I am becoming more and more outspoken as of late, and regard such changes as personal growth.

Ah, very good. I realize that we all have to bend some for communications sake, it's not always comfortable.

This, but I would buy INxP for you. You are similar to Udog, but still different. I actually feel both a thinker and a feeler vibe from you, and your past experiences may have made you have to develop more balance. I don't feel ENFP from you at all. Like, at ALL.

Yeah, I know, I know.. I had never considered E as a viable option, but I'm uncovering all kinds of things as I'm coming out of my mold. It was a very constraining mold. As mentioned above, I scare hardcore introverts and it makes me feel happy.. like a predator happy. I really feel like I'm not an S, but I engage in all kinds of external activities and I think the E may account for that.

I always test with Ne as my dominant function, and I agree with the assessment. E would explain it as well. I'm not ready to rule it out as a possibility, I'll just have to see how it pans out.

This. Maybe you are simply a bit more balanced (life experience, etc) and sensitive towards some younger specimen's un(der)developed Fe. That's a good thing and simply makes you a more rounded person.

Yeah, it really is hard for me to see past having lots of life experience, both damaging and enriching. My life hasn't had a lot of places where I could make meaningful reference points.

I spend part of my time just really kind of unsettled that I'm not certain of my personality type, and the other part pretending that MBTI is not all that important and thinking that it may not apply to everyone.

Well.. if the theory is spot on, I guess my type will become more clear in time.

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I wanted people to like me and I lacked a lot of opinions I was on the fence about everything. So I tended to project whatever part of me that someone else would like best and connect to them personally on that. This leads to odd situations where people thought I just happened to be more interested in their interests than I was, and uneven feelings on levels of involvement.

Now, and only recently I match my vibe with people, but don't hide myself. And I assault those more introverted than myself. Not intentionally, but I end up talking a lot and trying to forcibly extract participation from them. Then sometimes they look as if I've clubbed them over the head.
Great description of Fe. This is consistent with the Ti interests that you described in your OP (Fe/Ti are yin/yang). If your functional toolkit includes Ne, Ti, and Fe then you are xNTP. A couple of your comments sound really ENTP-ish.

This....
...I assault those more introverted than myself. Not intentionally, but I end up talking a lot and trying to forcibly extract participation from them. Then sometimes they look as if I've clubbed them over the head.

and this...
As mentioned above, I scare hardcore introverts and it makes me feel happy.. like a predator happy.
The bolded part should be included in all ENTP type profiles.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you never seemed like a true intp to me either...you have a similar vibe of other intps that later decided they were infp or enfp haha

ooh...yeah maybe entp

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Which type sucks the most at typing themselves? I'm that one. The lack of knowing wouldn't bug me much except for figuring out if type specific threads apply to me or not.

I am feeling very ENTP, but I'm in doohicky gadget construction mode right now. That will probably continue for 2 weeks then I will be more NFey.