• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Js and Time

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why are you on pins and needles? I'm not calling you on your emotional response, just wondering.

Waiting for the person to get there at a certain time... expecting them to be there at time A, but wondering why they are running late. Perhaps something got in the way, hoping something bad didn't happen to them while they were traveling. The anticipation of their arrival in general. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Most Js probably want to stab me to death, since I'm late for almost everything. Especially SJs, whom I've noticed many have a quality of wanting to be early instead of merely on-time.

In college I always hated those super-J professors who would give a pop quiz every day at the beginning of class, which over the course of the semester made up like ten percent of your grade, and they would never repeat the questions if you walked in even two or three minutes late.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the two professors I privately battled with the most viciously were probably FJs.

Times for me are merely "a suggestion," though when it came to my grade I would make more of an effort to be on time, all the while resenting the bitch who made it part of my grade to be on time, like we were still in fucking high school or clocking in at ye olde factory.

I love the professor the most who emailed me, claiming she couldn't give me less than an A, though I missed 1/4 to 1/3 of the semester "in class" because of the quality of my work and grasp of the subject matter.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, I acquiesce that two hours without so much as a phone call is rude. That's way late.

T

ThatGirl

Being late is right up there with people who mumble. Completely disrespectful for people on the receiving end, and doesn't even ask, but demands you go out of your way to meet these people on their terms.

If you're not where you said you would be and when, I've got other shit to do, and won't stick around to find out why.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Bah, being late is a fairly modern concept. Clocks weren't even aligned to a particular time in the U.S. until about 100 years ago. People who are anal down to a few minutes and seconds (like the professors I mentioned) have serious fucking control issues - like, they literally just want to control other people.

It's a bunch of bull crap. Of course, I whole heartedly admit that I think being *extremely* late without contact is rude or uncaring.

T

ThatGirl

I give people 15 minutes. I think that's fair.

As a hair stylist I used to hate people who walked in 30 min late to an hour long appt and you have 30 minutes till the next one. You either bust your ass or don't get paid for the hour. Then if the times over lap, the person who oddly shows up 15 min early is getting upset because this had nothing to do with her. She was on time. Then you are juggling two clients, god forbid anything goes wrong.

I am actually getting angry just thinking about it.

I should change my type to SJ

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I give people 15 minutes. I think that's fair.

As a hair stylist I used to hate people who walked in 30 min late to an hour long appt and you have 30 minutes till the next one. You either bust your ass or don't get paid for the hour. Then if the times over lap, the person who oddly shows up 15 min early is getting upset because this had nothing to do with her. She was on time. Then you are juggling two clients, god forbid anything goes wrong.

I am actually getting angry just thinking about it.

I should change my type to SJ

This concept of time is heavily related to the "manufacturing" aspect of American commercial culture, which is why it is duplicated in public schools. "Time is money"...this is why I compared it to clocking in at ye olde factory...any time you do lower-level work for a supervisor, you are time-dependent to "produce."

The entire concept angers me, which is probably why I am perpetually late. I don't know - I was even born late, no joke, my mother was overdue, I was born like two weeks after I was supposed to be, and my skin was dry because my mother had leaked most of her fluid slowly.

So maybe I was born to be late. Maybe I was born to be an artist or an entepreneur. Maybe I should go live on a commune. LOL.

T

ThatGirl

So basically it is about forcing your life philosophies on other people at their expense?

Is expence c or s? Brian is not working.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So basically it is about forcing your life philosophies on other people at their expence?

Well you could say that about either side of the equation. I feel that many "systems" are forcing obedience and submissive behavior upon the masses by having a stick up their ass about time. Who has to be on time? Not the employer. The employed.

People used to do things in generalities, by times of the day which occurred naturally, not by clocks which counted individual seconds and minutes. It was actually the spread of the railway system which got all of the clocks aligned.

I'm not forcing anything upon anyone. I'm usually reasonably on time for appointments, but I don't live my daily life by making appointments or schedules.

T

ThatGirl

That's fair enough but if you plan to be somewhere at some time you should keep to your word. Other people go out of their way to make it happen, so should you.

I'm not into time micro management either, but I do like to make the most of mine. Specially when I have a lot to do. Depending on other people to keep their word and they don't just shows how little someone cares about my efforts. Its a pretty selfish act.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's fair enough but if you plan to be somewhere at some time you should keep to your word. Other people go out of their way to make it happen, so should you.

I'm not into time micro management either, but I do like to make the most of mine. Specially when I have a lot to do. Depending on other people to keep their word and they don't just shows how little someone cares about my efforts. Its a pretty selfish act.

It depends on which context you mean this. I've long worked at jobs where I had to be flexible and things weren't done by specific times. I agree if you have an appointment with a doctor or a hairstylist, it's inconsiderate to be more than fifteen minutes late. That doesn't mean that everyone has to be a Te or Fe dom who is like "get with the program, y'all."

T

ThatGirl

Well it was in the context to the op, in which two people mutually agree to meet at a certain time.

Anyway, I think we are sort of agreeing on this point using different words. Work time, is a whole other story.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i hate that too. i don't accept over 10 minutes without contact or a good reason afterwards. i mean, if your car breaks down and your phone was dead, that sucks. or if you're sick and overslept, or if there was an accident on the road. i totally get that. though if there's an accident every time, that starts getting a little suspicious.

though i also don't like when people are early either, lol...

personally i'm usually running exactly on time and i prefer to be there first :laugh:

mal12345 said:
But what I see with Js is overscheduling, or overbooking their limited schedule without making allowances

yes.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
More than 30 minutes is too much for me, but I don't really get "angry". I just go back home and/or proceed to do alone whatever I was going to do. Next time I will just try to get there 30 minutes later than the appointed time if I'm going out with that friend. I know some people believe that this attitude is disrespectful, but I don't know, I think they'll just have to be on time if they don't want me to do it :D

In many ways I'm mostly annoyed by those who are either inconsistently late or punctual, lol. If you know you're a late-person, I know I'll just have to get there later and-or bring a book to read. If you're a punctual-person, I'll get there on time (but I don't deal well with "early" people). BUT if sometimes you're punctual and sometimes late, we'll end up waiting for each other everytime, eheh.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm an "always late" kind of person. Even just meeting at the bar, my friends would schedule things so that I was given at least a 30 minute pad-time. Two hours, though...that's excessive. I'd certainly call before then, so if I was ever that late it was because I forgot to come.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Depends on the circumstance.

100% that, it depends on what we're talking about. If it is a group get-together and things aren't being held up because someone isn't there yet then it is pretty insignificant, if it's a one-on-one meet then the least courteous thing to do is let the other person know you're running late. How late is tolerable also depends on what the meet is for/about.

That said it tends to only bother me if I'm being put out (specifically had to go somewhere or not do something else I wanted to) or if the other person is meeting me because they want something (ie job interview).

Time in itself isn't irrelevant, but to me it often is.