User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Yikes, did NOT intend to hijack the thread with my response to Marmie. Back to the OP...
    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Well, what I have noted is that individuals can understand/relate to the other functions; but they cannot relate to or at best choose to ignore their PoLR. It's a trickier business when their tert-opposite is not a J type function.
    I agree that absence of certain functions is a better strategy for casual MBTI testing (for entertainment purposes only). If you have a black hole where your Fe should be then it shouldn't be difficult to that detect that "deficiency" via questionnaire. The sensory functions (Si/Se) are also easy targets. Likewise E/I preference.

IMO, online assessments have difficulty with Thinking and Intuition. Ti-doms sometimes seem like Te users. Back to Marmie's INTP example - the act of composing 86 paragraphs (and sourcing references) might be interpreted as Te activity by test writers. Also, IRL employers don't pay Ti-users to sit around all day and think - they expect Te results in return for the paycheck. Not uncommon for Thinking types to identify themselves as extraverted T's.

Intuition is so poorly understood (even by dom/aux Intuitives) that the entire domain should ideally be excluded from amateur MBTI (best left to professionals).
    Last edited by amazingdatagirl; 04-28-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Ti dominant - need I say more?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

This doesn't really work for me because I don't lack any of the functions I haven't even noted any obvious gaps.

And is Tertiary-Opposite supposed to be like the 7th function (deceiving role) or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    YES OMGZ MY Ti IS SO WEAK!!!
    Sometimes when confronted with particularly long-winded INTPs (and the occasional long-winded, Ti-heavy INFJ) ...I am like, please get to the point, thank you? Do I really have to read the 86 paragraphs of precise language you just typed? Why do your emails sound like somone's philosophy dissertation?
    *dies*
    I think I have the same sort of problem. I blame some of it on the writer not being concise enough, but I know my attention span is partially to blame. Some xNTP I make...
    Tune into Ventrilo weeknights between 6pm and 1am PST for continuation of universe dominating shenanigans and occassional type-related propaganda.........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by amazingdatagirl View Post
    Yikes, did NOT intend to hijack the thread with my response to Marmie. Back to the OP...

I agree that absence of certain functions is a better strategy for casual MBTI testing (for entertainment purposes only). If you have a black hole where your Fe should be then it shouldn't be difficult to that detect that "deficiency" via questionnaire. The sensory functions (Si/Se) are also easy targets. Likewise E/I preference.

IMO, online assessments have difficulty with Thinking and Intuition. Ti-doms sometimes seem like Te users. Back to Marmie's INTP example - the act of composing 86 paragraphs (and sourcing references) might be interpreted as Te activity by test writers. Also, IRL employers don't pay Ti-users to sit around all day and think - they expect Te results in return for the paycheck. Not uncommon for Thinking types to gravitate towards the extraverted version.

Intuition is so poorly understood (even by dom/aux Intuitives) that the entire domain should ideally be excluded from amateur MBTI (best left to professionals).
    I would say that the functions and the difference between functions and attitude are poorly understood even by the professionals, never mind the laymen. Don't even get me started on behavioural archetypes versus cognitive archetypes.

MBTI
    yupp

I hate long winded people, my brother's long winded and it's like get to the fucking point. me on the other hand have always been told I'm too concise and that I need to reveal more.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I think I have the same sort of problem. I blame some of it on the writer not being concise enough, but I know my attention span is partially to blame. Some xNTP I make...
    well, my ENTP friend has the same problem, i guess its the attention span thing, extraverts do have shorter attention span. but this happens with other types also, for my INFP friend its hard because he has hard time understanding logic(but his mental problems might have something to do with this also), INTJ friend wants facts not reasoning, etc etc.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

I don't have a hard time understanding logic per se, but I'm not inclined to talking/understanding systems in the abstract or as the things unto themselves. I'll infer some part of the system that I know, and may try to encapsulate it. Possibly with a fairy tale.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by amazingdatagirl View Post
    Also, IRL employers don't pay Ti-users to sit around all day and think - they expect Te results in return for the paycheck. Not uncommon for Thinking types to identify themselves as extraverted T's.
    Agreed.

My current job of requirements analyst for software dev is probably the most directly Ti job I have ever had, since it involves flows, data modeling, etc... and can have all the business rules/processes remain fairly conceptual, since the devs are the ones who create the details of the software from the principles I spell out...

... but (albeit I was taking my time) I needed about 15-20 years to find this job.

Basically, people are paid to produce quantifiable results. Even conceptual thinkers in management still have a bottom line to adhere to.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Can you cc it to me? I might have some comments...
    LOL.

My ENTP adores me greatly. However she has noted that ENFPs, including myself appear to be rididulously dumb, yet usefully smart. I explained that no, we really just jump straight to the Te end point and dont need all the details. She says, yes, aka dumb.

Her commentary is that if the details were not important, she wouldnt waste time giving them to me in the first place. I then explain that I cant step down a Ti path for more than about five steps before all of the details fall out of my working memory and then I have no idea why it is we were talking about the subject in the first place. To follow an extended Ti path I have to stop, and summarize every 5-10 steps-ie convert the entire thing to a NeTe series of summarized steps.

Like Marm, I often dont read INTP posts. Oddly, especially with EricB's posts, I really do want to read as I know there is value, but I "save it for later" as I know it would take too much energy time in that moment to translate, then I forget to return.

Hysterically my ENTP will read my posts and go "Does this ever end? It appears to be meaningless babble..." hehehe....I love her.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

If we're going by textbook INFJ tertiary Ti, then the opposite will be Te. According to cognitive function test results I've gotten Te as a tertiary function, so the opposite would be Ti. Either way, I guess I get a bit hasty in wanting tangible results from others, a bit impatient in stressful moments, and just want to get things done and out of the way.

The trouble is, not sure if upbringing or social interactions has to do with this, I sometimes struggle to voice my demands and expectations of others, and implicitly expect them to do what is right/efficient and use their own judgment. It isn't until I see people slacking off that I tell them that they should get back to work. I end up getting into a Fe/Te conflict in that moment though, because I want people to like me and feel like I appreciate them, but at the same time, I want them to do what I expect out of them (getting the job done). A chaotic situation where there are several things happening all at once can drive me bonkers too. "Can you all just keep calm and quiet and get to work?" Too much noise and chatter when I am getting a point across, or when people should be doing their work alone really ticks me off.

From a Ti perspective... sometimes I can offer too much of a scientific explanation about things, and get very hair splitting/pedantic about concepts in general. If someone has an incorrect perception about a theory, or has a question about something theoretical, my explanations can be a bit too technical. To me, I'm using the precise meaning of the point that I am making, but sometimes the precise meaning or term may be too vague/abstract for the other person to understand. Theoretically the term fits. lol I guess in my explanations my delivery can be a bit blunt too (not sure if that's Te or Ti). Can be a bit off-putting for some people, especially when I want to have the point cut to the chase.

If either situation is indicative of other functions, then feel free to elaborate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    If we're going by textbook INFJ tertiary Ti, then the opposite will be Te. According to cognitive function test results I've gotten Te as a tertiary function...
    Exactly the point that I was making - online tests do a TERRIBLE job of differentiating between Ti and Te. I also get high Te score on the free tests.

Next time that you take an online test, right click on the html page and select "View Source". The functional mapping is often stored in hidden form tags. When I compare my answers with the form values, there is a huge difference in my interpretation of the question and the function that is supposedly being tested.
    Last edited by amazingdatagirl; 04-30-2011 at 01:20 PM.