User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 97

  1. #21
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Okay, I'm about to throw out a lot of bunk here. Read it and take it how you wish. This is just a random thought I felt like posting. Enjoy.

    I don't believe that personality develops over time. Infants are seen as having distinct personalities. However, I do believe that environment can influence personality greatly... but not to begin with. Early on, we experience our "true" personality, which remains fairly constant and typically becomes stronger over time.

    Now, I've heard that it takes time for children to understand the big picture. When we are very young, we see the world as it is and take things as they come... from a sensor's perspective. Our ability to make connections and extrapolate comes from our knowledge and experience. It can only increase with time. Unless you're some sort of crazy child-prodigy, of course.

    So if we start showing our personalities in infancy, how do intuitive types, especially Ne- and Ni-dominants exist?

    Hmm... I think this topic would be better presented as, "Ne's and Ni's, how did your functions manifest themselves in childhood?" (As Marm and others ended up answering the question.) Since clearly Ne and Ni doms do exist.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  2. #22
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    ages of 3-12 I was very quiet and observant child never talked unless forced to 12 on I started becoming for sarcastic towards people.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  3. #23
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Okay, I'm about to throw out a lot of bunk here. Read it and take it how you wish. This is just a random thought I felt like posting. Enjoy.

    I don't believe that personality develops over time. Infants are seen as having distinct personalities. However, I do believe that environment can influence personality greatly... but not to begin with. Early on, we experience our "true" personality, which remains fairly constant and typically becomes stronger over time.

    Now, I've heard that it takes time for children to understand the big picture. When we are very young, we see the world as it is and take things as they come... from a sensor's perspective. Our ability to make connections and extrapolate comes from our knowledge and experience. It can only increase with time. Unless you're some sort of crazy child-prodigy, of course.

    So if we start showing our personalities in infancy, how do intuitive types, especially Ne- and Ni-dominants exist?
    I agree with you regarding infants having personality. you can see the dom functions by about 9 months.

    My ENFP son and my friend ENTP son both never stop moving at the toddler age...they are just exploring everything around them in a very uncontrollable fashion. They often dont respond when you talk to them as they are fixated on pushing the boundary and seeing what comes next. It isnt really about what they are doing in that moment, but what they will do next? My enfp son wanted to eat holographic pigs at three so he didnt have to hurt real ones as he Ne linked learning about a hologram with being sad about pigs dying for food.

    My little INTJ son, at 18 months looked at me and explained in broken monsyllables that if you touch the lightswitch it will be hot. It turns out the sun is brigth and makes the parking lot hot, so since the light bulb is hot it makes the lightswitch hot. Totally broken Ni, but Ni all the same. Nowdays he spins words all around and mixes things up for fun. He made his first pun the other day about sand on the beach and sandals. "Sandels dont feel like sand, giggles". He also thinks that when he dies he goes to another planet and has started explaining what items he would like to take along. He also says the "real him" will leave his body when his memories go away, and the "other hims" will be in his body until his memories come back. Once they come back he is the "real him" again. Routinely the real him goes away while we are driving around in the car. He also calmly explained that since his toenails were now cut he could no longer fight the bad guys if our house catches on fire-he combined three different convos in one sentence and just announced this a few days later.

    I just nod and agree and let him tell me about all his odd ideas mostly and try and encourage him and not laugh at him as he gets kinda pissy about it..

    So, Ne and Ni are totally there trying to process stuff in these little guys, but due to the lack of previous info, just means it gets processed in a fairly hysterical way and they are really funny to listen to.

  4. #24
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    I agree with you regarding infants having personality. you can see the dom functions by about 9 months.

    My ENFP son and my friend ENTP son both never stop moving at the toddler age...they are just exploring everything around them in a very uncontrollable fashion. They often dont respond when you talk to them as they are fixated on pushing the boundary and seeing what comes next. It isnt really about what they are doing in that moment, but what they will do next? My enfp son wanted to eat holographic pigs at three so he didnt have to hurt real ones as he Ne linked learning about a hologram with being sad about pigs dying for food.

    My little INTJ son, at 18 months looked at me and explained in broken monsyllables that if you touch the lightswitch it will be hot. It turns out the sun is brigth and makes the parking lot hot, so since the light bulb is hot it makes the lightswitch hot. Totally broken Ni, but Ni all the same. Nowdays he spins words all around and mixes things up for fun. He made his first pun the other day about sand on the beach and sandals. "Sandels dont feel like sand, giggles". He also thinks that when he dies he goes to another planet and has started explaining what items he would like to take along. He also says the "real him" will leave his body when his memories go away, and the "other hims" will be in his body until his memories come back. Once they come back he is the "real him" again. Routinely the real him goes away while we are driving around in the car. He also calmly explained that since his toenails were now cut he could no longer fight the bad guys if our house catches on fire-he combined three different convos in one sentence and just announced this a few days later.

    I just nod and agree and let him tell me about all his odd ideas mostly and try and encourage him and not laugh at him as he gets kinda pissy about it..

    So, Ne and Ni are totally there trying to process stuff in these little guys, but due to the lack of previous info, just means it gets processed in a fairly hysterical way and they are really funny to listen to.
    INJ children are so much fun lol. my INTJ best friend legitimately believed he was Batman up until he was in 5th grade and would consistantly correct anyone who didn't refer to him as Bruce Wayne. also, I guess you don't tell an INTJ child that a fairytale or children's story is real, because they will believe you and do something about it.

    for instance, someone once told him there was a castle in our neighborhood and he was convinced that it was a certain house (so naturally, in archtypical NTJ 8w7 fashion, he goes off to make battle plans and take over the castle). so we don't see him for weeks and the whole time he is in his room planning and making potato cannons that he strategically set up around the house and somehow made them go off at consistant intervals when he did decide to attack. he even outsourced the making of the potato canons, having one person give him potatos, another supply him with other materials and 3 other people help him put various things together. when he did decide to attack, the canons broke through the windows at all sides of the house while he slipped through the air went. once he got inside, he realized that this indeed was a regular house and slipped back out and into his room, frustrated and immediately coming up with his next plan of action. the funny thing was that he was 8 years old at the time and the police never found out it was really him lol

    another time his parents left him when he was 7 and told him to "find his own food" so he assumes this means go out and hunt something. he goes and finds a cat that he seduces and it comes over to him (cats have always loved him for some reason). immediately, he grabbed it by the tale and knocked it unconscious with a rock. then he took it, threw it a pot of boiling water and tried to cook it. unfortunately (well for him at least) it woke up in the middle of the process, jumped out and scurried out the door.

    when in grade school, he was really small and got picked on a lot, so what he would slip away and plot the demise of the children who picked on him by making plans in the dirt. frequently, he would take much longer than the alotted recess time and the teacher would have to come back out to get him an hour later

    in short, he was like a real life Stewie Griffin
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  5. #25
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    It's just that... I could have sworn there were some studies done on childhood cognition and perception that showed that children can't see things like the big picture and other intuitive traits until a certain age.
    I think you need to consider intuition on the level of the child in question.

    I had one Se primary kid, and he showed Se by getting into everything, always being "on," always interacted, always doing something, from literally Day #1.

    Functions always start in raw, simple form, and then develop both via experience and age/maturity and with use. I would expect Ne/Se to both express themselves originally as primary exploration and interaction with the environment, and then start to differentiate as physical maturation continues. So you'd be aware of Pe-style behavior that then becomes more detailed and nuanced into one or the other.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #26
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    My little INTJ son, at 18 months looked at me and explained in broken monsyllables that if you touch the lightswitch it will be hot. It turns out the sun is brigth and makes the parking lot hot, so since the light bulb is hot it makes the lightswitch hot. Totally broken Ni, but Ni all the same. Nowdays he spins words all around and mixes things up for fun. He made his first pun the other day about sand on the beach and sandals. "Sandels dont feel like sand, giggles". He also thinks that when he dies he goes to another planet and has started explaining what items he would like to take along. He also says the "real him" will leave his body when his memories go away, and the "other hims" will be in his body until his memories come back. Once they come back he is the "real him" again. Routinely the real him goes away while we are driving around in the car. He also calmly explained that since his toenails were now cut he could no longer fight the bad guys if our house catches on fire-he combined three different convos in one sentence and just announced this a few days later.

    I just nod and agree and let him tell me about all his odd ideas mostly and try and encourage him and not laugh at him as he gets kinda pissy about it..
    LOL. I used to come up with pretty bizarre solutions to questions that occurred to me- like ‘why is the sky blue’ or ‘where do grandparents come from’- and I’d get pissy too when people tried setting me straight. One example that comes to mind, for years I believed that people were either born children or grandparents: if you were born a grandparent, then you got to live on your own right away- but children took longer to raise so they had to live with the parents. It absolutely blew my mind that parents actually become grandparents when the children grow up and have kids, and I refused to believe it at first. My sister and I got in a lot of fights over stuff like this- and I remember being incredulous time and time again when my parents would explain how one of my theories was wrong. And then when I got older, kids outside the family started making fun of me for it- so I learned to keep my crackpot theories to myself.

    And I saw this in my son when he was younger too. I’m fairly certain he’s INFJ. The funniest example that comes to mind is when he tried explaining to me how the cousins on his dad’s side of the family aren’t “really” his cousins. He was seven years old when this happened. His explanations were always so thorough, so completely thought out- and he was furious with me for not listening to him. He was wholeheartedly convinced that dads are the guys that happen to be in the room when a baby is born, but have no biological connection. He had an attitude like, “I don’t know where you get your information, Mom, but have you even thought about what you’re saying?” I had to get books with pictures to prove that sperm + egg = baby. And it was hilarious to me because I could totally recognize the horrified “How could this possibly be true? If I was wrong about this, what else am I wrong about? This changes everything…” expression on his face. He was stunned for days (and it wasn’t just from learning how babies are made- it’s a process that he went through whenever one of his theories was proven wrong, a process I remember all too well).
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  7. #27
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    you dont believe that personality develops over time? . its pretty much as accepted fact in psychology than mars is in astronomy..
    Let me sort of rephrase what I was trying to say. I think we're born with the... er... instinct? (needs a better word) to act in certain ways. Personality can certainly be affected by life events, but it looks like nature prevails here. The reason why you may be different as you grow older seem to be the product of a few major things... 1. learning new skills 2. maturity level and 3. development of a mental disorder.

    I'm kind of making this up as I go and I'm not claiming to be an expert. Just throwing ideas around.

    Oh, and I'd like to watch your video, but I'll have to do it later when I get the sound fixed on my computer.

    children cant understand big picture as well as adults can because their brains arent developed enough yet, but that doesent mean that they cant be more focused on big picture more than details.
    This is a great opinion and I can't say I'd disagree with it. That's the great thing about nonsense threads like these... you get new perspectives and ideas thrown at you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    mbti is one reason why I don't trust such studies. with 70-80% of children being sensors, of course the data would show this.
    Good point.

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i do disagree that personality changes over time, but i would agree that this is true - after all, neurologically, we have to form more connections quite literally to be able to make more mental connections. but i don't think that necessarily means our pattern of thought is impossible - we'd just have less connections to work with. when i was little it was so clear how everything was interrelated. i mean, it still is, but the field is bigger, more complex. more fun to navigate, yes, and more tangible, but also wider. i was a very exploratory but also spiritually serious kid. i've only developed my layer of grounded practicality more recently. it used to manifest as a more theoretical curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think you need to consider intuition on the level of the child in question.

    I had one Se primary kid, and he showed Se by getting into everything, always being "on," always interacted, always doing something, from literally Day #1.

    Functions always start in raw, simple form, and then develop both via experience and age/maturity and with use. I would expect Ne/Se to both express themselves originally as primary exploration and interaction with the environment, and then start to differentiate as physical maturation continues. So you'd be aware of Pe-style behavior that then becomes more detailed and nuanced into one or the other.
    Great post and I agree with you.

    So if Ne and Se seek to explore the world, what does Ni look like in young children?

  8. #28
    Member SilverMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Hi everyone i am new to this site but i just find what you are saying is interesting. i have a 2 yr old son and 1 yr old twins (boy and a girl). and i know childern do have different personalities just from seeing my three interact and play. i just love watching them lol like my little girl she must be a introvert cuz when she meets other people she starts acting shy and will cry. but my boys are very friendly so they must be extroverts. but i found interesting with my 2 yr old is he seems so ordered, like he has to have things in a certain place, like he has to have his cup when he is eating sitting in the right place or he gets mad lol and whenever its bed time he has a routine he likes to follow every night, he has to bring me his blanket (yes he carries a blanket around everywhere and he loves it and has to have it ever since he was born he had it lol its cute) but he also gives me his cup and he has to have his cup too lol and he will go to the stairs and point at the light switch for me to turn it on and he goes up the stairs with me following him. lol i dont know i just think that is cool lol im just so proud of my babies i could talk about them for hours lol sorry but yeah i think he is an E and a J i just dont know yet about the other i think he might be S and maybe a F cuz he does have strong emotions lol he has a strong personality. he acts like a little man
    ~~~*~~*~~*~~**~~*~~*~~*~~**~~*~~~
    But the imprint is always there..nothing is ever really forgotten.

    Introverted (I) 86% Extraverted (E) 14%
    Intuitive (N) 77% Sensing (S) 23%
    Feeling (F) 90% Thinking (T) 10%
    Judging (J) 59% Perceiving (P) 41%

    At least I'm safe in my mind..
    ~~~*~~*~~*~~**~~*~~*~~*~~**~~*~~*~~*~~~


  9. #29
    Post-Humorously stalemate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Posts
    1,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I wondered if when my mother said yes I was actually hearing no. I was questioning if my perception (input) aligned with what other people were doing or saying (output).

    Pretty simple, but I was also a small child.
    I was the same. I can also remember sitting around pondering what I would later know as basically the "brain in a jar" theory when I was about 5 years old. Wondering if my parents actually existed when I wasn't observing them, were they just stimulus in my brain or were they real, that sort of thing. Not ground breaking thought or anything, but stuff that I wouldn't really find again until I left my small town and had philosophy classes in college.

  10. #30
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    You can send out vibes. That's real.
    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i tend to assume that "vibe" is a mental message carried out through extremely subtle physical changes (movement, smell, etc) - not really "magical" - but it's extraordinarily clear that, whatever it is, it's real. just get around horses sometime and vibe something. you'll see. if you really want them to come near, even if your overt body language is saying no, they'll often come check you out. or vice versa - if you're scared, even though you're trying to put on a confident facade, they'll respond to that, too.
    I see "vibes" as a very subtle stream of energy that comes from a mental/emotional connection (either subconsciously or consciously). It definitely is not magical. I have always been strongly aware and sensitive to vibes. I can act like a complete B word just by sending out strong negative vibes to someone and screwing with the emotional energy in a room. Also, this is how one can sense a true "creeper". If one feels the mental/emotional connection of someone as conflicting..... run the FUCK away.

Similar Threads

  1. The Problem With JCF (If You Are Scared Of Change, Don't Read This!)
    By Mal12345 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 06-21-2013, 10:04 AM
  2. The problem with intellectual property laws (Part 1).
    By Octarine in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 06:48 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 10:11 PM
  4. [MBTItm] the problem with money..
    By niki in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM
  5. The problems with Te
    By ygolo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 02:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO