User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

  1. #1
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Old INXPs - How do you identify them?

    Well? You know, one so old that they've developed their weaker functions and don't appear strongly either way.

    I have one that could be either, but they grew up in a fiercely-intellectually-competitive house under an INTJ, so I can't tell how much of their book habit that dates to their childhood is related to nature or nurture.


    Their place is utter freaking chaos like you would find with either - dirty, books laying everywhere, cans/refuse all over, etc, etc, etc. I've gone on trips with them and they do the same madness in hotel rooms, which the INTPs I've worked with were well known for. It bothers me somewhat, but not enough to do anything about it.

    Anyhow, he wants to join me for a leg of my extreme points trip this summer and I'm trying to figure out what he actually is.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  2. #2
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    What subjects are the books on?

    Do you have a picture of their eyes?

  3. #3
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    What subjects are the books on?
    Varies greatly. On the table where I cleared out a pile of them to make a spot for my laptop, I moved at least the following:
    - 3 novels.
    - 1 street map.
    - 2 psychology books.
    - 2 books on theology.

    That's just in that space on the table, mind you. There were incredible piles of books strewn everywhere in the house, in addition to messy stacks of a variety of periodicals.

    Do you have a picture of their eyes?
    No, and it might not be possible to get any for a while.


    I'm currently leaning to INFP that grew up in a thinker-oriented world, but it doesn't completely explain the book thing.


    He also does a lot of running and has maintained a gym membership since the late 80s, which doesn't fully mesh with either type, but seems more likely for an INTP than an INFP.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  4. #4
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Well? You know, one so old that they've developed their weaker functions and don't appear strongly either way.

    I have one that could be either, but they grew up in a fiercely-intellectually-competitive house under an INTJ, so I can't tell how much of their book habit that dates to their childhood is related to nature or nurture.


    Their place is utter freaking chaos like you would find with either - dirty, books laying everywhere, cans/refuse all over, etc, etc, etc. I've gone on trips with them and they do the same madness in hotel rooms, which the INTPs I've worked with were well known for. It bothers me somewhat, but not enough to do anything about it.

    Anyhow, he wants to join me for a leg of my extreme points trip this summer and I'm trying to figure out what he actually is.
    When I first read the title of your post, I thought that you were wondering how to find old INXP's, like some sort of birdwatching thing - that's easy... all I do is look in the mirror .

    More seriously, I think you're going to have a hard time getting anything definitive. Especially since you seem to be (pardon my assumptions) a pretty neat and tidy person, a lot of what sticks out to you is probably pretty typical of both INTP's and INFP's (like you say). I think that there's a pretty big set of shared behaviors among INTP's and INFP's (in addition to general untidyness), so it's just going to be hard to tell - it's not uncommon for folks to not really be able to decide themselves.

    I didn't see anything in your description that really pointed directly at one over the other, but the fact that this person is a) male, and b) grew up in an intellectually competitive environment, tends to steer me to think that without strong telltale signs, that your INFP idea has merit.

    But I'm curious... why does it matter? Or are you just curious?

  5. #5
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    What are the novels?

  6. #6
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    kelric: That's exactly the problem. It could fit either, and the addition of the childhood environment dynamic further muddies the waters, because without that I'd say he was an INTP.

    I am curious. I've gone on a trip with him before, and I will be going on one again sometime this summer (he's meeting/joining me for one point of my extreme points project, which interested him), so I'm just trying to figure out what is actually happening when we communicate, conflict, etc.

    heart: I don't recall what they were. I'd need to ask my brother, but he's not exactly easy to communicate due to certain communication barriers.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  7. #7
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    I would guess/lean more to INFP based on the book choices you've been able to give. They seem more human condition centered.

    I also read (and experienced!) Male NF will also tend to be stubborn to a fault, as if their masculity rested on not giving into the agendas of others. Maybe that will help some.

  8. #8
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    kelric: That's exactly the problem. It could fit either, and the addition of the childhood environment dynamic further muddies the waters, because without that I'd say he was an INTP.

    I am curious. I've gone on a trip with him before, and I will be going on one again sometime this summer (he's meeting/joining me for one point of my extreme points project, which interested him), so I'm just trying to figure out what is actually happening when we communicate, conflict, etc.
    Well, if nothing else I'd say that your trip will give you a chance to get some additional data - if you want to try and make a determination, I'd focus on how he acts during minor (important, minor!) conflicts - especially if it's something that he brings up first (otherwise, expect a "oh, I don't care" response either way). My assumption would be that an INFP would tend to be a bit more conciliatory (less blunt) than an INTP. The tone of his reponses in such situations may be a clue - although if he's a close borderline case, there may not be a good way to tell without being able to view longterm patterns.

  9. #9
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    heart:
    - His logic is pretty good, but he would have been severely verbally beaten if his logic wasn't perfect.
    - Not sure on the eyes. I've met INFPs with pretty serious eyes, too.

    whatever:
    - Yes and no. The primary objective is to go to that point, though we'll probably get some in over there. Hard to say exactly what we'll do, actually, aside from mark off the point on the list.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  10. #10
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    heart:
    - His logic is pretty good, but he would have been severely verbally beaten if his logic wasn't perfect.
    - Not sure on the eyes. I've met INFPs with pretty serious eyes, too.

    Kierkegaard was forced to be logical at early age by his father. He is generally thought of as INFP.

Similar Threads

  1. [JCF] How do you identify Ne - Si and Ni - Ti in everyday life?
    By Noa in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2017, 11:02 AM
  2. Members of Typologycentral: How do you picture them?
    By Stansmith in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 01-16-2017, 07:19 PM
  3. [Si] Wherever you have Si in your stack of pancakes, how do you identify with it?
    By Dreamer in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 12:34 AM
  4. How do you identify specific fixes?
    By Stansmith in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 02:17 PM
  5. ISTP 6 vs ISTJ 6, how do you tell them apart?
    By Azure Flame in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-25-2013, 01:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO