12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Default Emotional attachment to material things

Let's say a person who has both Fi and Si in the first four functions of their MBTI type would be very emotionally attached to material things.

By emotional attachment to things I mean
    a) material things bring back memories and emotions of past events and people that are important
    b) it's hard to throw away any material things that has some emotions attached to them.

Fi & Si because
    - Si helps to remember past details and
    - Fi attaches emotions to those feelings.

So I say that at least ENFP's (NeFiTeSi) would be like that but for example ESFP's (SeFiTeNi) would not be like that.

What say you?
    Would you say Fi or Si has bigger role in this or just some combination those two?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    a) material things bring back memories and emotions of past events and people that are important
    I had an ISFJ [Si Fe Ti Ne] friend who was very much like this.
    b) it's hard to throw away any material things that has some emotions attached to them.
    I have a problem with this.
    I'm not sure if that's my INTJ [Ni Te Fi Se] or INFJ [Ni Fe Ti Se] that struggles with that.

By emotional attachment to things I mean

What say you?
    Would you say Fi or Si has bigger role in this or just some combination those two?
    I have very strong emotional bonds with physical objects and abstract concepts. I, personally, have a rather well-developed Si, which certainly influences such. My Fi, on the other hand, is not very developed.

Personally, the reason why I seem to form strong emotional bonds with inanimate objects/concepts is because such are much easier to form than bonds with people. People are too unpredictable. Human behavior is a dynamic system. Very interesting to study from a detached perspective, yet, for me, quite unnerving to get involved in emotionally.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INTP

Great thread. I have no idea what causes this but would love to know. It has caused a lot of problems between my and my ISFJ wife. I hoard and she wants to have yard sales every month to purge. I average about 3 "junk drawers" and that seems to be the limit that she can handle before she makes me consolidate. They eventually get so full we have to transfer the contents to a box and store it in the attic or closet.

I don't know if the OP wants to only deal with items with an emotional attachment? But I do both. Some items I hoard because they might "one day" be useful and others because of an emotional value. On the useful side, I can say nothing makes me happier than to need a cable splitter, be able to go into the attic and find the exact box it is in and be able to use it. Nothing infuriates me more to know I have one somewhere and not be able to find it, all the while thinking ISFJ must have thrown it away when I wasn't paying attention.

For reference:
    Ti Ne Si Fe = intp
    Si Fe Ti Ne = isfj

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    Some items I hoard because they might "one day" be useful and others because of an emotional value.
    This (bolded part) I think it's another matter. I think it might be more N thing than what I was describing. (I might be also wrong). N's look to the future and think they might need something someday. S's might think that I don't need it today and throw it away. This was just a thought, it might be not N-S thing at all?

So, in my mind, I would separate the two reasons for not throwing anything away + I would add a third one of collecting material things.

1) Not throwing away anything because of an emotional attachment (Si+Fi?)
    2) Not throwing away anything because of the thougt the thing might be needed someday. (N?)

Collecting material things is another matter: collecting things for an interest, collecting thigs for their value etc.

What do you think?
    Last edited by alcea rosea; 03-24-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Edited the order

MBTI
    ESFJ

I nearly broke down last night while trawling through music, e-mails, and websites that were important to me about 7-8 years ago.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

So, to not derail the intent of the thread, did you want to specifically speak about type and collecting or type and not throwing away? I believe you are right that they are two different items. I will say that I have never collected. Ie: Shells, baseball cards, matchbox cars, etc. The only thing that approached a collection for me growing up were "lego's". But to me that was more of utility, in case I "needed" a piece and didn't have it. Man, I miss playing with lego's.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Personally, the reason why I seem to form strong emotional bonds with inanimate objects/concepts is because such are much easier to form than bonds with people....
    You got THAT right!

My best friend for quite a stretch of time was my teddy bear.
    He was not a gossip.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Let's say a person who has both Fi and Si in the first four functions of their MBTI type would be very emotionally attached to material things.

So I say that at least ENFP's (NeFiTeSi) would be like that but for example ESFP's (SeFiTeNi) would not be like that. What say you?
    I say that people who would label themselves as NF or SP would consider whether they are emotionally attached to things when filling out a survey describing themselves. It's not that type causes attachments, but that attachments (and recognition of those attachments) "cause" type.

MBTI
    INFJ

My ENTJ sister, who uses Te-Ni-Se-Fi, has photographophilia. Every month our extended family (all the cousins) get an online photo album of 8-12 photographs of what her family's been doing. She constantly photographs them; she even sent me 12 photos of her cat's surgery. Every holiday, vacation and event is well-documented. Her house is filled with graduation photos, family portraits, etc.

She's also kept schoolwork, artwork and clothes from her kids' babyhood through high school (they're now 16). She says it's because she doesn't remember the past very well. She's amazed my mom can remember events from 50-60 years ago.

I have Fe and save articles of sentimental value - cards, letters, photos - but nothing like this. What people write and say to me is very important, objects less so. I have a hard time throwing out things that might be useful someday, but I do it.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.