User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    xNTP

This is a topic that is somewhat near and dear to my heart as I have almost zero attachment, emotional or otherwise, to objects. And to be quite honest I have no idea why I am this way but I always have been this way and imagine that I always will be.

MBTI
    INFP

There is one object in particular that I have an emotional attachment to, and over the years it has gotten stronger.

When I was nine years old my parents gave me a lump of coal for Christmas, and it was the only present I received.

I still have that lump of coal. It is a powerful symbol for me, and its meaning to me has changed as I have grown.

For reference, my function preference order is Fi Fe Ni Ne.

cheers,
    Ian

p.s. I experience a positive emotional state when I look at my collection of guitar pedals.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    Let's say a person who has both Fi and Si in the first four functions of their MBTI type would be very emotionally attached to material things.

By emotional attachment to things I mean
    a) material things bring back memories and emotions of past events and people that are important
    b) it's hard to throw away any material things that has some emotions attached to them.

Fi & Si because
    - Si helps to remember past details and
    - Fi attaches emotions to those feelings.

So I say that at least ENFP's (NeFiTeSi) would be like that but for example ESFP's (SeFiTeNi) would not be like that.

What say you?
    Would you say Fi or Si has bigger role in this or just some combination those two?
    Im not so sure on your theory, it pretty much doesnt apply to me at all. But this could be due to personal issues, my mom is a pack rat and thus her house (IMO) is filthy. I hate keeping stuff if it no longer has a use, i throw stuff away all the damn time. And I cant name one item i have sentimental value to, I dont even get that feeling for an item when a SO gives me it. That whole concept just doesnt work for me, when it comes to material things I only want them for as long as they serve a practical purpose. Now of course that purpose could be something practical to me, but not to others.
    SDMF

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    ... I only want them for as long as they serve a practical purpose. Now of course that purpose could be something practical to me, but not to others.
    My feelings exactly. I only have one rule when it comes to organization: If I did not know that I had it then I must not need it and therefore I do not want it. Into the garbage it goes!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'd probably guess Fi or Si could do it alone, but having both would definitely intensify this tendency. I'm not sure one does it more than the other.

I usually become attached to material things that are still potentially useful, simply because I can't justify throwing something useful away. If I find someone else who can use it, though, I don't mind giving it to them if I didn't depend on it. I tend to throw away even things I've become attached to if they get beyond repair, however (but not without a little resentment). So I'm rather strange that way...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by aeon View Post
    There is one object in particular that I have an emotional attachment to, and over the years it has gotten stronger.

When I was nine years old my parents gave me a lump of coal for Christmas, and it was the only present I received.

I still have that lump of coal. It is a powerful symbol for me, and its meaning to me has changed as I have grown.

For reference, my function preference order is Fi Fe Ni Ne.

cheers,
    Ian

p.s. I experience a positive emotional state when I look at my collection of guitar pedals.

Gosh, I don't think I've ever known a parent to follow through with that "lump of coal" threat...what significance does it have to you now? I can definitely see where it would have had an impact.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Most of the people who answered to this thread seem to think it's not Si or Fi (although some agreed with it) which makes people emotionally attached to material things.

What could it be then, attachment to material things? Or is it so that emotional attachment cannot be linked to any function of MBTI? Could it be Fi/e +S in general?

I think it could be something innate because children from the same family are different in this aspect.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm like that but my need to have a simplified external world motivates me to get rid of a lot of stuff.

MBTI
    infp

That happens to me with some material things that are very important to me. I remember, even as a small child, being upset when someone wanted to throw out my stuff. We were having a garage sale when I was like five and I remember being so sad that these things were being sold, even if I didn't really use them anymore.

The current thing is my entire basement. It is all marked up and damaged from years of playing hockey. It needs new paint and everything, but I don't want my parents to do it because I'm so attached to it. I don't think they even take it seriously, but I feel like painting over those walls would be paitning over me. I dented those walls and the events that caused those dents are some of my favourite memories. That whole basement is very important to me, and to change it seems very wrong. In short, I'm very emotionally attached to it.