First 89101112 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Okay, I see both sides of this issue. Yes, people can be psychologically unhealthy. Probably what people mean when they ascribe the word "unhealthy" to functional use is to reference the state of the individual: depressed, angry, controlling, manic, et al. People are often "unhealthy" when they are hurting. One of the things I despise most is when the word "unhealthy" is thrown around like it is an insult - people are unhealthy because they are sick or wounded. People behave in "unhealthy" ways sometimes because they are hurting inside, have "issues" from their past, or might even suffer from mental illness.

ON THE OTHER HAND...is what some people call "unhealthy" just an ethical view?

I mean, take Vladimir Putin for example: is he using Ni/Te/Fi/Se in an "unhealthy" way...or do we in the Western world just disagree with his ethics? (These are the things that keep me awake at night, lol).

I think that might be what the OP is getting at ...these ethical interpretations of other people's functioning. If your ethics clash, it doesn't mean that the other person is necessarily "unhealthy" now, does it? Or doesn't it?

I hear people with Fe talk about "unhealthy Fi" a bunch. Sometimes I wonder if they just mean they don't like our individualized values (or occasionally lack thereof).

It's all very complex, and we're all a bunch of armchair therapists around here (instead of armchair philosophers) so our estimations are bound to be opinionated and not always correct.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It's all very complex, and we're all a bunch of armchair therapists around here (instead of armchair philosophers) so our estimations are bound to be opinionated and not always correct.
    Amen! And there's nothing wrong with that IMO. So maybe the solution is for people to be more careful in prefacing their comments with "in my opinion" or "in my experience", to help those sensitive folks feel a little better about it. Hahahaha!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    InvisibleJim, yesss, now you're getting hot! Do unto others!! I want to hear others' opinions; regardless of who you are: the good, the bad and the ugly! From there, I'll analyze and filter the information accordingly: it might be water off a ducks back; it might be the very catalyst for change. How I treat the information, depends on various things; such as, how much I respect you and how useful the information is. Isn't that how most of us deal with our day to day interactions? We dig deeper if we want to know more. Sometimes the information is useful because it triggers new ideas. I love hearing even the novice opinions.

So with that said, it's about putting things in their proper context. An opinion is just an opinion. A novice is just a novice. So when someone uses the term 'unhealthy', I consider the source and see it for what it is. "It's judgmental," as some of you have argued, but that doesn't matter to me. I still want to hear it. I'll decide for myself what to do with it, if anything.
    Amen! And there's nothing wrong with that IMO. So maybe the solution is for people to be more careful in prefacing their comments with "in my opinion" or "in my experience", to help those sensitive folks feel a little better about it. Hahahaha!
    You're really working hard to trivialize this topic and close down discussion, aren't you?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    You're really working hard to trivialize this topic and close down discussion, aren't you?
    In my opinion, it is trivial.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Then don't discuss it. Otherwise, you could at least try to say something more than, "it's a word...I don't mind it...so you shouldn't either...nor should you voice your dissatisfaction with it...or talk about it at all."

Banned

Your opinion doesn't match your behaviour. It's not unhealthy - it's Ne-Ti one of the flavours of Pe-Ji.

Now it's very important to Pi-Je types. We don't draw all conclusion back to our perspectives and label others as unhealthy as a consequence of our perspective gazing upon them. You can label a behavioural consequence as unhealthy 'this malice is unhealthy', but it's not sensible to label a normal form of cognition as unhealthy simply because you dislike it. 'This Fi is unhealthy because it isn't in your top two functions' - The most common experience I have of discussing INTJ-ENTP relations. Of course this merely comes down to their PoLR. Therefore it's not unhealthy, it is what it is.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Then don't discuss it. Otherwise, you could at least try to say something more than, "it's a word...I don't mind it...so you shouldn't either...nor should you voice your dissatisfaction with it...or talk about it at all."
    I said a lot more than that. I spent quality time reading and giving lengthy responses. I prodded for a logical argument that takes into consideration the facts: the denotation of the word "unhealthy", the context of the word, the source of the "judgment", etc. I still struggle to understand some of the responses where the assumptions are emotionally-based and not fact-based. Orobas's response today is a good example of that. Many of her assumptions about functions are not correct; they are not facts. So my conclusion today is summed up nicely by your quote.

Edit: That doesn't mean I didn't want to hear what others had to say. On the contrary, I needed to hear others' opinions in order to draw that conclusion. It also doesn't mean I'm not open to hear what you have to say now. I stated in a previous post earlier today that "I am open". I meant that.

Ginkgo

MBTI is not an appropriate measurement tool for determining healthiness or unhealthiness.

The terms "healthy" and "unhealthy" are far too broad to be any more useful than a scratch n' sniff sticker. Imagine if you were to walk in to see your primary care physician (or your local witch doctor, for those MBTI gurus out in the boonies), and he told you you were "unhealthy" just because you seemed abnormal. Would you walk out feeling like you were on your way to recovery? No.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the criteria on TypologyCentral.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    People project to attempt to understand other individuals by applying their own values to those individuals. It's not trolling, it's humanising.
    I don't think the terms "healthy" and "unhealthy" are dolled out just because of projection. Values aren't the only element we're dealing with, especially not just personal values.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    MBTI is not an appropriate measurement tool for determining healthiness or unhealthiness.

The terms "healthy" and "unhealthy" are far too broad to be any more useful than a scratch n' sniff sticker. Imagine if you were to walk in to see your primary care physician (or your local witch doctor, for those MBTI gurus out in the boonies), and he told you you were "unhealthy" just because you seemed abnormal. Would you walk out feeling like you were on your way to recovery? No.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the criteria on TypologyCentral.
    Exactly.