User Tag List

123 Last

Default Rappers and S/N.

I'm a big fan of hip hop music.

When it comes to rap all the
    N: are the more philosophical and the ones which put hidden meaning in their rhymes.

S: are the ones which are more direct, what you hear is what they're saying..

Would you agrreee?

I would say that lyricists with a preference for intuition are more likely to paint a metaphorical picture and use a lot of analogies, and those with a preference for sensing would make more use of concrete language.

N rappers: Nas, Tupac Shakur.
    S rappers: Notorious B.I.G., Eazy-E, Ice Cube.

MBTI
    INTJ

No, I don't.

You can't perceive a function by their lyrical content only. You have to do some homework, study their interviews, especially those that are more candid and on the spot.
    And you have to remember that people have access to all functions, so a rapper could be tapping into something they don't use on a day to day basis when they are crafting their art.
    And then some rappers have ghostwriters, so they are just BITRs.

Lupe's is a great conceptual story teller, but if you listen to him speak, I'd give him an S- ISTJ
    Jay-Z is very ISTJ, but people mistake his years of experience and exposure with Ni.
    Kanye's ENxJ- most likely T, but the verdict's out IMO.

Yeah, I agree that you can't observe their type solely by reading lyrics, but I think it might give some clue to their function preference, at least if they are consistent with their style and approach to writing.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Yeah, I agree that you can't observe their type solely by reading lyrics, but I think it might give some clue to their function preference, at least if they are consistent with their style and approach to writing.
    I would agree in extremes.

But then you would have to know what they wrote based off their own inspiration, and what they wrote to please the massas, I mean record labels. No guarantee the final product hasn't been tweaked to get the most airplay.

Case-in-point- Lupe's album. Lyrically falls short to his other 2 albums due to the record label pressure. By some of those songs you'd think he was slow.

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    I would agree in extremes.

But then you would have to know what they wrote based off their own inspiration, and what they wrote to please the massas, I mean record labels. No guarantee the final product hasn't been tweaked to get the most airplay.

Case-in-point- Lupe's album. Lyrically falls short to his other 2 albums due to the record label pressure. By some of those songs you'd think he was slow.
    I guess you're right. But if we assumed that it is lyrics not written for any other reason than selfexpression?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

somewhat, but i think mainstream hiphop culture is pretty S and songs are written to appeal to that so they aren't always going to reflect the writer's personality.

soulja boy could secretly be an intj. you never know.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    I guess you're right. But if we assumed that it is lyrics not written for any other reason than selfexpression?
    Then yeah, it would shed some color on function preference, as you mentioned. But it can't be the sole, overreaching factor.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    somewhat, but i think mainstream hiphop culture is pretty S and songs are written to appeal to that so they aren't always going to reflect the writer's personality.

soulja boy could secretly be an intj. you never know.
    I agree with you. Some people have the perception to write hits - because they understand how to get the right reaction out of people. That's another shade of both Sensing and Intuition.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Anyone listen to Atmosphere or Sage Francis?

I think they may both be Intuitives. Pretty certain on Sage Francis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VL0mB8ILeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlr1H_iV6qs

FUll of metaphors
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts
    Likes Also liked this post