• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rappers and S/N.

Illmatic

I'm a big fan of hip hop music.

When it comes to rap all the
N: are the more philosophical and the ones which put hidden meaning in their rhymes.

S: are the ones which are more direct, what you hear is what they're saying..

Would you agrreee?

Libertine

I would say that lyricists with a preference for intuition are more likely to paint a metaphorical picture and use a lot of analogies, and those with a preference for sensing would make more use of concrete language.

N rappers: Nas, Tupac Shakur.
S rappers: Notorious B.I.G., Eazy-E, Ice Cube.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
No, I don't.

You can't perceive a function by their lyrical content only. You have to do some homework, study their interviews, especially those that are more candid and on the spot.
And you have to remember that people have access to all functions, so a rapper could be tapping into something they don't use on a day to day basis when they are crafting their art.
And then some rappers have ghostwriters, so they are just BITRs.

Lupe's is a great conceptual story teller, but if you listen to him speak, I'd give him an S- ISTJ
Jay-Z is very ISTJ, but people mistake his years of experience and exposure with Ni.
Kanye's ENxJ- most likely T, but the verdict's out IMO.

Libertine

Yeah, I agree that you can't observe their type solely by reading lyrics, but I think it might give some clue to their function preference, at least if they are consistent with their style and approach to writing.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, I agree that you can't observe their type solely by reading lyrics, but I think it might give some clue to their function preference, at least if they are consistent with their style and approach to writing.

I would agree in extremes.

But then you would have to know what they wrote based off their own inspiration, and what they wrote to please the massas, I mean record labels. No guarantee the final product hasn't been tweaked to get the most airplay.

Case-in-point- Lupe's album. Lyrically falls short to his other 2 albums due to the record label pressure. By some of those songs you'd think he was slow.

Libertine

I would agree in extremes.

But then you would have to know what they wrote based off their own inspiration, and what they wrote to please the massas, I mean record labels. No guarantee the final product hasn't been tweaked to get the most airplay.

Case-in-point- Lupe's album. Lyrically falls short to his other 2 albums due to the record label pressure. By some of those songs you'd think he was slow.
I guess you're right. But if we assumed that it is lyrics not written for any other reason than selfexpression?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
somewhat, but i think mainstream hiphop culture is pretty S and songs are written to appeal to that so they aren't always going to reflect the writer's personality.

soulja boy could secretly be an intj. you never know.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I guess you're right. But if we assumed that it is lyrics not written for any other reason than selfexpression?

Then yeah, it would shed some color on function preference, as you mentioned. But it can't be the sole, overreaching factor.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
somewhat, but i think mainstream hiphop culture is pretty S and songs are written to appeal to that so they aren't always going to reflect the writer's personality.

soulja boy could secretly be an intj. you never know.

I agree with you. Some people have the perception to write hits - because they understand how to get the right reaction out of people. That's another shade of both Sensing and Intuition.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
S Rappers: Nelly (ESFP), Ice Cube (ESFP),
N Rappers: 50 Cent (ENTJ), Lloyd Banks (INTJ), Gipp (ENFP), Nicki Minaj (ENTP), Chamillionaire (?NFP), Lil Wayne (?NTP), Drake (INFP)
dunno: Ludacris (E??P), Chalie Boy (E??P), Eminem

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I checked one interview to make sure, and Lil Wayne doesn't have primary or auxiliary Ne. He seems ESTP to me.
Eminem appears to be ISTP.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I checked one interview to make sure, and Lil Wayne doesn't have primary or auxiliary Ne. He seems ESTP to me.
Eminem appears to be ISTP.

whatever his type is, Lil Wayne's rhymes are pure Ne

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
whatever his type is, Lil Wayne's rhymes are pure Ne

agree for once! like i said earlier, you can't type solely based on lyrics, but his are full of word play, puns, random associations pulled from the air. he's rarely telling a concrete story, and even if he starts he connects it to something else.

plus in interviews he's definitely playing a role. which makes him hard to type.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What do you guys think about MF DOOM, Common, Talib Kweli, Black Thought, Wordsworth...

Those guys are more my speed. I don't know much about Lil Wayne or those guys to be able to related. I think I hear a lot of Ne with MF DOOM with his rhymes anyway but I don't know what I'm talking about most of the time.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
S Rappers: Ice Cube - ESTP
N Rappers: 50 Cent - ISTJ Lil Wayne - ESTP
dunno: Eminem - ISTP

Correction :D, How is Lil Wayne a NTP, to me he seems to be pretty motivated by Se, I don't think it's what people do that determines their cognitive functions(which I think is erroneous), instead I focus on why they do it in the first place to better determine their type, cognitive functions, whatever, the act of generating hidden connections between things does not automatically mean one is a prominent Ne(or Ni) user.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Correction :D, How is Lil Wayne a NTP, to me he seems to be pretty motivated by Se, I don't think it's what people do that determines their cognitive functions(which I think is erroneous), instead I focus on why they do it in the first place to better determine their type, cognitive functions, whatever, the act of generating hidden connections between things does not automatically mean one is a prominent Ne(or Ni) user.

actually, that has more to do with enneagram. Lil Wayne is an obvious 7w8, so his motivations are going to look pretty SP-ish. enneagram is WHY we do what we do, MBTI is HOW we do what we do :yes:

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
agree for once! like i said earlier, you can't type solely based on lyrics, but his are full of word play, puns, random associations pulled from the air. he's rarely telling a concrete story, and even if he starts he connects it to something else.

plus in interviews he's definitely playing a role. which makes him hard to type.

Is word play Ne? Why couldn't an S function accomplish word play or puns?

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
actually, that has more to do with enneagram. Lil Wayne is an obvious 7w8, so his motivations are going to look pretty SP-ish. enneagram is WHY we do what we do, MBTI is HOW we do what we do :yes:

MBTI, yes, but not Jung's cognitive functions. Each cognitive function should not be related only to a specific set of behaviours, because that often leads to silly, inaccurate stereotypes(like all SJs are conformist, unquestioning rule following drones).