• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How NOT to motivate your type

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
  • Tell me to do something because I'm supposed to, or because that's what other people do
  • Shoot idea after idea at me, without giving me time to process anything
  • Treat me like I'm stupid, or like I should automatically defer to your judgement without giving me reasons
  • Breezily act as if the things I tend to struggle with (mostly involving people skills or confident self-presentation) are easy and enjoyable for everyone
  • Try to manipulate me instead of being direct

NoMoreFun

MBTI Type
ENFP
For ENFPs, guilt-tripping followed up by tight micromanagement will do nicely. It's practically like putting money on your lottery ticket is not going to win :)

Additional bonus point may be collected:
- make sure the work is opposed to the goal in the big picture but stubbornly claim some meaningless rule demands it.
- make sure the work is dull, repetitive, and has to be done alone.
- make it clear that your boss/colleague is going to nitpick each and every detail afterwards.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTP 3w4

-Don't explain why the task must be done. Say "just do it" or "I don't know why, just do it".
-Require me to take steps that are completely inefficient, hairsplitty, and tedious - even if I know a better way to do it.
-Don't allow me to work independently, question my competence
-Make a big issue out of HOW to do it whether than just the end result (similar to point #2)
-Guilt trip
-Explain how it benefits only YOU ("I'd really appreciate it!")
-Fail to know how to delegate the task. Don't have me do busywork when the secretary can do it. I have better things to do.
-Insist on this task when it's lower on my totem pole of current priorities.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Micromanage me.

Keep telling me what I'm doing wrong, especially if it's little petty procedural things.

Talk to me in a threatening/authoritarian/holier than thou manner.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It is tough to motivate me, and that's probably a type thing.

Really, anything other than "Hey man, do me a favor?" will not work. I don't take orders, but I do take requests.

Things that don't work:
-Offers of material wealth
-Offers of sex
-Direct orders
-Sneaky indirect orders

For those things, I will be insulted and refuse to do whatever it is. But again, a kind request is usually the right way to motivate me.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Eh.. aren't there types that Prefer rules and clearly defined expectations? I thought that some people find comfort on these things.. usually not ENFP's though!

well, it pisses me off when i'm told to do something, then i do it the best way i figure i can, then someone tells me i've done it wrong. if there are rules, tell me at the beginning, damn it. this keeps happening to me at work.

look i did it!
"um actually you should have done this before that and those aren't the right forms and yadda..."
well why didn't anyone tell me that before i started?
"because it's called learning on the job!!"

:doh:

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
- telling me I have to do it (a certain way, by a certain time, or even at all)

Noon

ISFJ 9w1

Easiest ways to demotivate me

• Make a time-specific routine a necessity. Make all procedures non-negotiable.
  • Give me zero autonomy. Closely supervise me.
  • Make no room for a behind the scenes role.
  • Be unable to discuss things calmly and somewhat impersonally.
  • Place me in a turbulent, hostile, hypercritical, emotionally volatile, or similar environment.
  • Be oblivious to nuanced communication and implicit needs.
  • Dismiss my personal concerns and talk down to me.
  • Give me zero expectations and suggest I go with my gut.
  • Give me rigid expectations and freak out when I bend some of them.
  • "Correct" me improperly.

well, it pisses me off when i'm told to do something, then i do it the best way i figure i can, then someone tells me i've done it wrong. if there are rules, tell me at the beginning, damn it. this keeps happening to me at work.

Exactly. Few things are more annoying.

ISFPeaceOut

MBTI Type
????
ESFP:
Impose a lot of super strict rules.
Look over our shoulders/ watch us while we're working.
Make the work boring and routine.
Give us a job to do alone.
Criticize us.

Whatever type I am, I agree with these. (Maybe I am an ESFP afterall).

Sunny Ghost

ISFP 4w5:

Don't stand over me.
Don't criticize my seemingly lazy behavior or lack of structure.
Don't be cruel. Don't be mean. Don't yell at me. Or I'll bite back or simply not work altogether.
Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't insult me.
Don't shut down my ideas before you've heard them out.
Don't give me back to back to back assignments, when I've already got shit to do, and I see my other peers standing around doing absolutely nothing.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISFP 4w5:

Don't stand over me.
Don't criticize my seemingly lazy behavior or lack of structure.
Don't be cruel. Don't be mean. Don't yell at me. Or I'll bite back or simply not work altogether.
Don't tell me how to do something I already know how to do. Don't insult me.
Don't shut down my ideas before you've heard them out.
Don't give me back to back to back assignments, when I've already got shit to do, and I see my other peers standing around doing absolutely nothing.

Mhmm, speak the truth sistah!
Ohhh, especially that last one! That one just pisses me off to such an extreme!

Sunny Ghost

My boss is fond of the last one. I seriously don't get it. Maybe he's given up on the rest of the staff? IDK. It's gotten to the point I've started giving out assignments to others.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
ENFP type 8

- Give me a certain amount of responsibility, but don't trust me. (If you tell me I'm going to feed dogs twice a day for a month.. don't call me every day asking if I've done the task or not. I will do what I'm paid and assigned to do.)
- Don't insult my intelligence in the process.
- Get someone to babysit me during team-oriented tasks.
- Not allow me to put in input of any sort.
- Keep me from being myself while working

:shrug: all I can think of for now. There are a hundred ways to piss me off during a task.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
INFJ 4w5:

Look over my shoulder and need to be involved in every little detail.
Don't give me time/space to work without interruptions.
Imply that I am incapable/stupid.
Make me work with a group more than is strictly necessary.
Ignore or belittle my ideas.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do not insult my intelligence, or patronize me.
Make me work with incompetent fools.
Disregard any of my concerns about procedures etc, etc.
Come to expect me to perform miracles and achieve the impossible. I am awesome but even I have limits/need sleep.
Expect more of me than anyone else.
Do not say it's policy, or just do it, because then I'll know damn well you don't why things are done that way.
Do not respect the fact that I have a deeply held work ethic, and expect everyone else to at least do their best.
Unevenly distributed work load. I will call you, the manager and any lazy sod that thinks thats okay, on it.
Disrespect for me or any other contributing member of staff.
Criticizing me in public.
Wrong priorities i.e. social life over getting work done.
No Support from management
Micromanagement.
Strict Rules and Policies.
^This is why I type INTP alot. I can't stand working with mindless automatons who can't think in a logical manner. Connect the dots, people, it's not hard! I'm not gonna be there holding your hand forever.

I sound mean. I'm not.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
INFP 946:

-Automatically assume that we're happy with the role we've been assigned

-Give us mixed messages(i.e treating us like we're talented one moment then like we don't know anything the next)

-Treat us like we don't want to grow just because of our introversion

-Call us modest. But maybe it's just me. Ok, I guess this can be reverse psychology by motivating us to work so we don't look modest, but anyway. Modesty? More like self deprecating humor. Double withdrawn and double attachment doesn't equal no ambition. With our line to 3 and our frustration fix, we got plenty of ambition.

-Vocalize the structure you want over and over again and make us feel confined

-Not letting us work at our own pace, or saying we're too slow. We're using that time to brainstorm something huge

-When we forget something literally once, don't belittle us by treating us like we never knew that in the first place

-Don't treat us shirking the intensity of our situation as us treating like we don't take things seriously. We take things very seriously

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
INTJ 835

- Micromanagement
- Not following that - 'Poor planning on your part does not necessitate an emergency on mine." rule
- Assigning busy pointless work
- Not giving me the tools to do my job or actively throwing up roadblocks to the tools
- Giving me an ultimatum.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ 5w6

Micromanagement.

Hovering over me (not giving me enough mental or physical space).

Yelling/tantrums to make a point. I will not respect you.

Inconsistent feedback, or ONLY giving negative feedback. That's not to say I don't welcome criticism or that I require tons of praise/back-patting, but if the only feedback is negative, it gets a bit demoralizing. Gotta learn to sandwich that stuff. Who doesn't like sandwiches, right?

Guilt-tripping. Used to work on Younger Me. Would not work now.

Impatience.

Insulting my intelligence, but it's rare that anyone would have the gall to do that to me directly.

Forcing me to be more social in a way that has nothing to do with the job & everything to do with their comfort.

Refusal to answer questions (sometimes I like to know the hows & whys just for the sake of it; not to undermine anyone)

Poor communication skills in general are draining.

I'll add more if I think of any.