User Tag List

12 Last

your resident asshole

Default Dichotomy tests vs cognitive function tests - A question

Why might someone always score T on tests that attempt to measure type in terms of dichotomies, but always score some type of F on tests that attempt to measure cognitive functions?

You could really insert any type of opposing letters...
    Likes strychnine liked this post

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

MBTI (dichotomy) and JCF (functions) are completely different systems that essentially measure the same thing, but being different system then different results will arise when people take them.

For example having an E funtion as your lead under JCF simple makes you more likely to take the outer context into account more often, and in a subtle way makes you extroverted. Under MBTI it basically means your more extroverted in the traditional social sense.

Also, people do tend to use a mix of thinking and feeling, intuition and sensation, etc. Under JCF that's fine since they test for function that aren't clear cut. What I mean by this is that Fi is about values, personal ethics, and inner harmony while Ti will be about categorizing and internal methods of reasoning. Both Fi and Ti don't necessarily conjure up the traditional images of "thinking" and "feeling". But on an MBTI test, having to choose heavily between "compassionate" or "analytical" is more obvious, not to mention ridiculous considering that Feelers can be analytical and thinkers can be compassionate.

So yeah, two different systems means that naturally some will test with different results. Hope that helps answer your question.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Why might someone always score T on tests that attempt to measure type in terms of dichotomies, but always score some type of F on tests that attempt to measure cognitive functions?

Largely because such tests suck balls.... But looking past that, dictonomy tests struggle with peoplle who display te tertiary temptation or inferior backlash regularly. As has been mentioned before, dictonomy tests follow MBTI methodolgy, a system which was design to describe healthy people. Thus it struggles with the unhealthy.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have that problem alot. I frequently score INTJ on a dichotomy test yet never score that on function tests. I'm more Ti than Te, more Ne than Ni, and more Ti than Ni. On function tests, I most often score INTP and sometimes INFP. I don't think I'm dominant Fi, let alone an "Fi user", I just think its due to poorly constructed questions.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I used to think that function tests should have been the official MBTI. In that view, E/I and J/P lose almost all of their significance as standalone factors, since they are just indicating the attitude of the functions. The 16 types might as well have been denoted in terms of the function-attitudes: "XeYi".
    But then I saw how Jung really conceived of it more in terms of four functions (S, N, T, F), with the dominant paired with either one of the two attitudes, and from there, the other functions are also assigned attitudes. This is why classic MBTI theory only deals with "the first four" function-attitude combo's. The "other four" were just the rejected orientations of the first four.

This made it easier to understand several things. E/I retained their traditional meanings as far as behavior (no real "introverted extraverts"), and J/P also regain their meaning in observable behavior. The biggest thing understanding why the function-attitude strengths come out in all sorts of order in the function tests.

If your middle two letters seem settled, and it's just a matter of being close on J/P, then your preferred functions are likely sure; it's just a matter of which one bears the extraverted attitude. With the functions being measured, the suggested type can be all over the place if the "strengths" are to a certain extent out of order.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

The MBTI badge on your blog showed ISTP - that's Ti-Se-Ni-Fe in functional terms. What is the dominant function when you take a JCF-style assessment?

your resident asshole

@Eric B

Hmmm... you know... I really wish I could grasp your ideas better all of the time. :/

Are you saying that Jung would have looked at your type as T > N > S > F, with introverted and perceiving behaviors which translate to Ti > Ne > Si > Fe?

Quote Originally Posted by amazingdatagirl View Post
    The MBTI badge on your blog showed ISTP - that's Ti-Se-Ni-Fe in functional terms. What is the dominant function when you take a JCF-style assessment?
    Oh haha. You can ignore that, the test sucks. I'm most likely a simple ISFJ. :/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Actually, it would have been i{T}, e{NSF}. It was later determined that the tertiary took on the dominant attitude, and it is likely the Puer Complex that does this.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)

Type Ideas

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Actually, it would have been i{T}, e{NSF}. It was later determined that the tertiary took on the dominant attitude, and it is likely the Puer Complex that does this.
    Why are these thought to be extraverted traits at first (if I am understanding correctly :/)?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Because the ego chooses the internal orientation, and suppresses the external one. It also chooses its dominant function, and the others, also suppressed, "collect" in the suppressed orientation. (Until one of the complexes brings one of them back into the dominant orientation. And of the suppressed functions, the auxiliary is simply the remaining one that offer the ego's best shot at attitudinal balance).
    Think of the orientations (or "attitudes") as psychic "spaces".

Type Ideas